GeekGround Rant: This really bugs me about DC

Edited: 11 days ago
1/1/01

FML....entire post got eaten

Here's the super short version:

I was looking at another "Best ***name redacted*** stories ever" list on the internet. It was for a DC team. Looking at the list of stories I realized there wasn't a single story that was still in continuity anymore. So, there wasn't a single story regarding this particular team that mattered as far as I was concerned. And if it doesn't matter, why should I read it?

I have no idea what's in continuity at DC. In fact, I overheard a fellow at my local comic book shop who said something along the lines of "the only way DC makes sense is to treat every single comic book title like it's in it's own Universe". In other words, Batman is in a difference Universe as Detective Comics, etc...

That makes me feel like none of the stories matter for DC, and that really disinclines me from reading anything by DC.

Anyhoo...change my mind?

11 days ago
1/1/01
paw - 

UG at it's finest!
11 days ago
1/1/01
BiggGunn - 
paw - 

UG at it's finest!

Didn't have the energy to type out the whole thing again. Hopefully gave a reasonable trailer, though.

11 days ago
3/7/05
So wait, they erased an entire team from continuity? Typical. It is a great way to make you feel like the stories you are reading do not matter.
11 days ago
8/20/16

I was thinking this about Marvel, but it definitely applies to D.C.. If i was hired to write a Marvel comic, I would have no idea what continuity i could draw dupon for story ideas and all the stories I loved reading do not exist in the current universe. No wonder every comic coming out doesn't feel like the characters we used to know and love. And why everything is an expendable "event" with all rules of continuity and storytelling out the window.

11 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - So wait, they erased an entire team from continuity? Typical. It is a great way to make you feel like the stories you are reading do not matter.

To clarify, DC didn't erase an entire team from continuity. However, DC has reset continuity so many times that the majority of the DC comics that have been published are no longer in continuity.

11 days ago
1/1/01
blabbermouth - 

I was thinking this about Marvel, but it definitely applies to D.C.. If i was hired to write a Marvel comic, I would have no idea what continuity i could draw dupon for story ideas and all the stories I loved reading do not exist in the current universe. No wonder every comic coming out doesn't feel like the characters we used to know and love. And why everything is an expendable "event" with all rules of continuity and storytelling out the window.

Marvel hasn't officially reset their continuity. Moreover, Marvel is extremely proud about that and has viciously insisted that they will not do so. So...I think you're very confused about Marvel stories that "do not exist" in the current universe.

Maybe you can give an example of what you mean.

11 days ago
8/20/16
paw -
blabbermouth - 

Marvel hasn't officially reset their continuity. Moreover, Marvel is extremely proud about that and has viciously insisted that they will not do so. So...I think you're very confused about Marvel stories that "do not exist" in the current universe.

Were Peter and Mary Jane formerly married in current continuity? I thought they undid that.

9 days ago
1/1/01
blabbermouth -
paw -
blabbermouth - 

Were Peter and Mary Jane formerly married in current continuity? I thought they undid that.

Yes, but continuity was not reset to undo that. Mary Jane literally made a deal with the devil to save Aunt May's life. The cost was her marriage

8 days ago
8/20/16
paw -
blabbermouth -
paw -
blabbermouth - 

Yes, but continuity was not reset to undo that. Mary Jane literally made a deal with the devil to save Aunt May's life. The cost was her marriage

Ah, gotcha. I didn't realize it was a localized to the spider books. Good to know, thank you.

8 days ago
6/30/09

Ya know, I cant agree more. Marvel is sorta bad but DC takes it to a whole new level. They just ran/are running at least 4 'major' events that I can think of off the top of my head. Dark Knights Metal, Doomsday Clock, Heroes in Crisis and City of Bane. And if any of these tie into one another, Im not sure where/how and Im definitely not sure if any (or all) of them are in the main continuity.

That said, pretty sure Batman and superman are still #s 1 and 2 on the sales charts.

8 days ago
1/1/01
TwoFatNuts - 

Ya know, I cant agree more. Marvel is sorta bad but DC takes it to a whole new level. They just ran/are running at least 4 'major' events that I can think of off the top of my head. Dark Knights Metal, Doomsday Clock, Heroes in Crisis and City of Bane. And if any of these tie into one another, Im not sure where/how and Im definitely not sure if any (or all) of them are in the main continuity.

That said, pretty sure Batman and superman are still #s 1 and 2 on the sales charts.

Sales wise, DC has Batman and events. Superman is way down the list --- roughly the same sales level as Fantastic Four. 

7 days ago
7/13/09
paw -
blabbermouth -
paw -
blabbermouth - 

The idea that someone wouldn’t read the old storylines that are usually better than the crap being put out now seems odd considering they’ve both given up on any attempt at continuity at this point and are just hack writing a “product” made popular by those old storylines and not the new ones. 

The continuity was reset and Memphistos deal with MJ was the storyline device they used to do it. Same way they rebooted the whole 616 with the Secret Wars shitshow. Just because DC used a different way of doing it and did a full reboot doesn’t mean they didn’t both hack the shit out of their universes continuity. If Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborne are alive? They hacked their continuity. If Ned Leeds wasn’t Hobgoblin then they hacked the continuity.  If Peter Parker didn’t get shot and buried by Kraven the Hunter then put into an Insane asylum they hacked the continuity.  

6 days ago
1/1/01
JJitsu - 
paw -
blabbermouth -
paw -
blabbermouth - 

The idea that someone wouldn’t read the old storylines that are usually better than the crap being put out now seems odd considering they’ve both given up on any attempt at continuity at this point and are just hack writing a “product” made popular by those old storylines and not the new ones. 

The continuity was reset and Memphistos deal with MJ was the storyline device they used to do it. Same way they rebooted the whole 616 with the Secret Wars shitshow. Just because DC used a different way of doing it and did a full reboot doesn’t mean they didn’t both hack the shit out of their universes continuity. If Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborne are alive? They hacked their continuity. If Ned Leeds wasn’t Hobgoblin then they hacked the continuity.  If Peter Parker didn’t get shot and buried by Kraven the Hunter then put into an Insane asylum they hacked the continuity.  

Your viewpoint is profoundly incorrect. Moreover, you seem to not understand what a retcon is.