GeekGround Rob Liefeld predicts DC will "drive off a cliff"

8 days ago
1/1/01
From https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/10/rob-liefeld-predicts-the-collapse-of-dc-comics-soon/

Superstar artist Rob Liefeld is the creator of Deadpool and Major X as well as the star of the internet sensation Rob Liefeld’s Cameo Videos, and now he is predicting the death of DC Comics in the near future. Liefeld took to Twitter to predict that the company will “drive off a cliff real soon,” an event for which Liefeld needs popcorn to observe.

The company has undergone sweeping changes of late, following a corporate panic after Batman Damned #1 exposed Batman’s penis, leading to tighter controls on potentially controversial content that also contributed to the cancellation of Second Coming. Additionally, the company had recently been reported (by this website) to be shutting down longstanding prestige comics imprint Vertigo, and also recently pulled writer Tom King off of Batman, setting his run to end at issue #85 instead of #105 as King originally planned immediately after King announced that he would change Batman for a generation or more in the run. King will finish his story in a Batman/Catwoman 12-issue series, though whether the massive change to Batman will have the same impact, or even if it will remain in continuity, is unknown.

DC has also been making adjustments to its sales strategy lately, cutting back both on the collected editions they publish and the monthly comics they put out. The strategy on comics sales has seemingly paid off for DC, with the company neck-and-neck with Marvel in total units sold in the recent sales charts, though Marvel handily wins dollar share thanks to the high price of their comics. Units sold per title at DC easily beat the units sold per title at Marvel.

In any case, here’s what Liefeld had to say about the general situation at the publisher on Twitter.

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 DC Comics gonna drive off a cliff here real soon.....gotta get my popcorn.

10:13 AM - Jun 10, 2019

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 I ain’t never seen a company in as much disarray as DC Comics. Thank God they have Batman to act as their Tylenol, Asprin, laughing gas... “more Batman will fix it!”??

10:24 AM - Jun 10, 2019

When superstar comic book writer and movie pitchman Mark Millar defended DC, Liefeld told him his opinion must be outdated.

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 Mark, you’re reading your DC best of the 80’s collection again... happens to me too sometimes...

Mark Millar
?
@mrmarkmillar
Replying to @robertliefeld
Really? I think it's their strongest line-up since the 80s. All their big characters have really strong teams and all at the same time. Is there something on the horizon???

10:31 AM - Jun 10, 2019

Liefeld says he doesn’t care if being honest about DC will damage his chances of working there.

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 I understand my DC honesty will cost me a potential opportunity but who cares! C’mon... they should fire everybody in management and refresh. Batman will still be there for the next group.

10:36 AM - Jun 10, 2019

8 days ago
1/1/01

And cites an advantage for comic fans if the company goes out of business.

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 And Jim Lee could finally draw the X-Men for you again!!! Wins all around!!

10:37 AM - Jun 10, 2019

He continued.

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 Twitter is like my burner phone...

10:46 AM - Jun 10, 2019

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 How about... not quarterly?

Batfleck’s Ghost
@Qwertlocke3
Replying to @questionallfor1 and 2 others
Doomsday Clock?

10:55 AM - Jun 10, 2019

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 I’ve been making comic books professionally for 33 years. Since I was 18. I have record setting sales. You want to attempt to lecture me, I’ll block you faster than you can say my name.

11:02 AM - Jun 10, 2019

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 Interesting take buddy!

Pipeline Comics ???? ???? (Augie De Blieck Jr.)
@pipelinecomics
They’re driving towards the bookstore market.  DC Ink and Zoom is just the beginning.  They never put a half million $ into marketing their comics to anyone. But they are for these books. And they’re cleaning up the rest of the line to keep them safe. DC is rebranding.

11:02 AM - Jun 10, 2019

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 Burned. Past tense.

Benjamín
@BenjaminPerezE

11:05 AM - Jun 10, 2019

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 Anomaly. I pushed those sales up, and left.

Benjamín
@BenjaminPerezE
So, no more variant covers. Bummer

11:10 AM - Jun 10, 2019

robliefeld
?
@robertliefeld
 It’s all one big cluster. Some good stuff breaks through tho...

Joshua Kop
@Joshua_Kop

11:32 AM - Jun 10, 2019

This isn’t the first time Liefeld blasted DC on social media. After leaving the company in 2012, Liefeld complained of editorial incompetence and when the company was rumored to reboot in 2015 in what would eventually become DC Rebirth, Liefeld said the company didn’t have the talent roster required to make it work. Is Liefeld’s prediction this time on the money? Let us know in the comments.
7 days ago
10/27/03

Rob Liefeld has never seen a company in such disarray?

Let the hilarity of that comment sink in for a moment.

7 days ago
3/7/05
DC might be not doing great, but I wouldn't trust liefeld to tell me if it was raining outside or not.
7 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - DC might be not doing great, but I wouldn't trust liefeld to tell me if it was raining outside or not.

Liefeld knows disarray...and the workings of the comic book industry, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his thoughts.

To be frank, I think Liefeld is exaggerating, but he's not wrong that from a sales perspective, outside of Batman, DC doesn't have much else.

7 days ago
3/7/05
paw - 
BigWilliam - DC might be not doing great, but I wouldn't trust liefeld to tell me if it was raining outside or not.

Liefeld knows disarray...and the workings of the comic book industry, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his thoughts.

To be frank, I think Liefeld is exaggerating, but he's not wrong that from a sales perspective, outside of Batman, DC doesn't have much else.

I am sure he has sources, I just think he is a lying piece of garbage is all.
7 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - 
paw - 

I am sure he has sources, I just think he is a lying piece of garbage is all.

Oh. Gotcha.