GeekGround Rumor: DC Comics to give us a new Batman...

15 days ago
1/1/01

From https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/02/dc-comics-black-batman/

The hot gossip coming out of comic book shows this weekend from a number of prominent sources, is that in the summer of 2020 leading into 2021, DC Comics is planning to bring us a black Batman. Not Bruce Wayne, but someone else donning the cowl and cape.

Who this new Batman will be, I don’t know. All I have been told is that it won’t be Duke Thomas, the young man previously teased as taking on the role of Robin and Batman to come.

Marvel Comics has given us a black/Latino Spider-Man with Miles Morales, popularised in the Into The Spider-Verse movie. Sam Wilson took on the role of Captain America, reflected in the Avengers: Endgame movie. And Nick Fury has been replaced in the Marvel Universe by his black son, Nick Fury, Jr, reflecting the casting of Samuel L Jackson in the Marvel movies. While in Doomsday Clock, DC Comics’ unauthorised sequel to Watchmen, the new Rorschach is a black man, and son of the original Rorschach’s psychiatrist. It looks like the mainstream DC Comics Universe may be heading in a similar direction with Batman. Could this also find itself reflected in the DC movies?

It’s not the only time other people have taken on the role for a considerable period of time. The character of Azrael became Batman after Bruce Wayne had his back broken by Bane, in the Knightfall comics series in the nineties. Nightwing took on the role of Batman when Bruce Wayne was missing presumed dead, sent through time by Darkseid, in the noughties. And future visions of the DC universe have seen his son Damian Wayne and a variety of Robins take the role.

There are a number of character in the Batbooks who could be well-placed, aside from Duke, to take the role. These include Black Lightning, who current works with Batman in The Outsiders comic book.

And then there’s Batwing – originally Congolese pilot David Zavimbe, now son of Lucius Fox, Luke Fox.

Or it could be someone new.

Once upon a time, comic book writer Mark Millar pranked Ed Brubaker, then writing Batman comic books. Millar posed as a journalist and asking an increasingly-frustrated Ed why Batman wasn’t black and why he couldn’t just be black some of the time. Looks like he was just a little ahead of his time…
14 days ago
8/20/16

lol at the Millar prank.

but, damn, why can't DC and Marvel just produce good stories as a sales gimmick? I'd be more likely to buy comics with a new Batman if I thought they would be good.

On a side note, I've really been loving Azrael as depicted in Sean Murphy's Curse Of The White Knight.

14 days ago
1/1/01
blabbermouth - 

lol at the Millar prank.

but, damn, why can't DC and Marvel just produce good stories as a sales gimmick? I'd be more likely to buy comics with a new Batman if I thought they would be good.

On a side note, I've really been loving Azrael as depicted in Sean Murphy's Curse Of The White Knight.

For my money, Marvel is doing just that with Hickman's House of X, Powers of X - but your point is well taken. Unfortunately, gimmicks sell. So until fans stop buying gimmicks, I fear we are doomed to keep getting them.

Azrael is criminally under-rated, imo. It really seems like that character should be developed more fully and much more interesting than he's been.

13 days ago
1/1/01

Call me when batperson is a trans-able non-binary obese them who loves their body. Now that would be stunning and brave.  

Am I doing it right?

13 days ago
1/1/01
buddie - 

Call me when batperson is a trans-able non-binary obese them who loves their body. Now that would be stunning and brave.  

Am I doing it right?

pretty much

13 days ago
3/7/05
I understand getting a new character off the ground can be difficult. But does swapping in someone else ever really work out? Miles Morales has done ok but Peter Parker is not gone so that was not really a replacement. And aside from that you have some times where someone assumes a mantel, Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel for instance. But 90% of the time it is a disaster and the fans tune it out.

It sounds like this character already has an identity. Give that book some hype and a top notch creative staff and let it become it's own thing.
Edited: 13 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - I understand getting a new character off the ground can be difficult. But does swapping in someone else ever really work out? 

Great question.

You mentioned Miles Morales, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel. I think all those have "worked out", although as you mentioned, none of those were really replacements. Peter is still around, and the others just inherented identities.

Who else was there?

We had X-23 briefly assuming the mantle of Wolverine. I'm massively biased (I love X-23) so I would say that worked out, but let's be honest - X-23 had 36-40ish issues as Wolverine. That's pretty good, but it's not a massive break out. And off the top of my head, I don't believe X-23 has been featured in any promotions of the new x-titles that are coming after House of X/Powers of X finishes.

We still have Ironheart (Riri Williams) who was IronMan for an issue or two. I guess that worked out. Although just like X-23 we're talking about 40-ish issues of solo titles and I don't know if there's any bigger titles on the horizon (Champions is getting canceled)

Jane Foster was Thor (FFS...don't get me started) and is now Valkrie -- making her a character who's replaced two different heroes. We'll have to wait and see how that does, but my money is on "not well".

Sam Wilson went back to Falcon a long time ago and Bucky Barnes went back to the Winter Soldier (both were Captain America, briefly - and I think everyone knew Steve would be back in time)

....I can't think of anyone else on the Marvel side of the house. Pretty sure I'm missing a bunch

In DC, is there anyone who HASN'T been Batman now? FFS, we've had Jean Paul Valley, Dick Grayson (twice), Damian (in the future), Tim Drake, Jason Todd and Commish Gordon. Out of all those characters, only one has carried a solo title for any reasonable length (Dick Grayson). So, none of those really worked out and all of those were stunts.

Same with Superman, WW and Green Arrow.

I'm probably missing a ton of folks here as well.

Looking at the list, this strategy seems like it has a very poor track record.

13 days ago
3/7/05
Exactly, learn from the past mistakes. New heroes are hard to establish, but once they do they become very much their own. And with about the same or better success rates as replacements.
Edited: 13 days ago
10/27/03

Well at least his jaw and chin will finally blend in with the mask properly :)

But seriously ... we’ve had Jean-Paul and Dicl Grayson both do extended runs as Batman. It’s not new.

Azrael is maybe the most successful ‘replacement’ character. Transitioned to his own comic that ran about a decade and did a 100+ issues.

12 days ago
10/11/18
Who cares. Everybody knows Bruce will be back as Batman in less than a year.
12 days ago
3/7/05
No it's not new, but it's lame. And yes people do know that is it a throw away stunt to generate publicity that is one reason it is annoying.
12 days ago
1/1/01
Just bring Stan Lee Imagines’ Batman into the DC universe. That guy was black.
11 days ago
3/7/05
JMS did a run with Nighthawk as a rich black dude. It was a great series. But he was not trying to replace an iconic character and that gave him complete freedom.