GeekGround Rumor: Marvel working on new distribution

3/27/20 10:03 AM
1/1/01
From https://www.newsarama.com/49604-marvel-working-on-larger-scale-plan-to-address-coronavirus-influenced-shipping-problems.html

Marvel Comics has informed Direct Market retailers that a "larger scale plan" is being worked on by them and Diamond Comic Distributors to address the shipping of upcoming books, which were thrown into disarray by the coronavirus pandemic. As part of it's weekly Marvel Mailer sent out to retailers through Diamond, the publisher attempts to assuage retailers as the Diamond distribution stoppage begins this week - with no indication of when or how they will receive Marvel comic books.

"As soon as Marvel and DCD have the proper knowledge on what the future likely holds during these trying times of a Global Pandemic, we will update the FOC dates and On Sale Dates," read the statement. "We assure you there is a larger scale plan being worked on for the upcoming shipping schedule and thank you for your patience."

Marvel has also pushed back Final Order Cut-Off deadline for some of its April 2020 books due to the as-yet-unresolved distribution issues.

This comes after Christina Merkler, co-owner of the mail order comic retailer giant Discount Comic Book Service, told Newsarama earlier today that DC told her they were likewise, "working on a plan."

However, neither Marvel or DC, or most of the larger publishers, have yet to directly address or answer inquiries as to how they plan to approach print or digital publishing after Diamond distribution of printed comics is suspended.
3/27/20 10:11 AM
1/1/01

There's a number of articles on the internet hinting that Marvel is considering alternative distribution methods - with direct shipping to local comic book shops being the one that I've seen most frequently.This particular article was the most direct and most clear, hence copy/pasta.

This is also the first article I've seen that hints that DC might also be working on a new distribution method as well.

That both Marvel and/or DC are working with Diamond is interesting, and probably an indication that these rumors are more likely to be true, or at least that would be my guess. 

3/27/20 11:32 AM
3/7/05
So they are cutting diamond out completely?
3/27/20 11:57 AM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - So they are cutting diamond out completely?

Well, we don't know yet. Although I would think from Marvel's perspective, cutting Diamond out completely would probably be good from their perspective. I think the advantage of Diamond is they are the one stop shop for comic book stores. Instead of having to order from all the comicbook publishers, a store can just reach out to Diamond and be done.

I do think this shows that Marvel is concerned about local comic book stores, which I think is a very good thing.

3/28/20 3:43 PM
10/11/18
If only they made comics worth distributing.
3/29/20 6:42 PM
1/18/03
I don't think distribution is the issue though. The issue is the over politicizing sjw awful stories they produce. They could have their distribution done by naked Valkyries on winged unicorns do the distribution but until they produce a quality product they're fucked.
3/29/20 10:05 PM
3/7/05
JLK - I don't think distribution is the issue though. The issue is the over politicizing sjw awful stories they produce. They could have their distribution done by naked Valkyries on winged unicorns do the distribution but until they produce a quality product they're fucked.

Well there is that.
3/30/20 5:20 PM
10/11/18
JLK - I don't think distribution is the issue though. The issue is the over politicizing sjw awful stories they produce. They could have their distribution done by naked Valkyries on winged unicorns do the distribution but until they produce a quality product they're fucked.

This. The "talent" being assholes to customers isn't helping either.
3/31/20 7:02 PM
1/18/03
Mr Karate - 

This. The "talent" being assholes to customers isn't helping either.

Yep those don't help either.