GeekGround Sony kills Spider-Man partnership with Marvel

28 days ago
1/1/01
From https://www.cbr.com/sony-kills-spider-man-deal-with-marvel/

Marvel Studios will not produce any future Spider-Man films due to a standoff between The Walt Disney Company and Sony Pictures.

According to Deadline, the decision stems from "an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward." As for the next two currently planned Spider-Man films, both Homecoming and Far From Home director Jon Watts, as well as actor Tom Holland are expected to return. However, Marvel's involvement in the project is doubtful, as Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has been "essentially nixed" by Sony.

It seems Disney asked for all future Spider-Man projects to be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between Marvel and Sony but the latter declined. Instead, Sony proposed leaving the current deal untouched, meaning Marvel would continue to receive approximately 5% of first-dollar gross while maintaining merchandising rights, which Disney refused. This, of course, comes hot on the heels of Spider-Man: Far From Home cementing itself as Sony's highest-grossing film of all time, albeit with Marvel's help.

Nevertheless, Sony is reportedly optimistic about the future of the Spider-Man franchise, even without the helping hand of Marvel, as the studio believes it's already set a solid foundation to build off of with Homecoming and Far From Home.

Now in theaters, director Jon Watts’ Spider-Man: Far From Home stars Tom Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Zendaya, Cobie Smulders, Jon Favreau, JB Smoove, Jacob Batalon and Martin Starr, with Marisa Tomei and Jake Gyllenhaal.
28 days ago
1/1/01

paw comments: Sony will absolutely destroy the character just like they have ruined the X-Men. Nice way to cut your nose to spite your face.  Stupid clowns.

28 days ago
8/20/16
paw -

paw comments: Sony will absolutely destroy the character just like they have ruined the X-Men. Nice way to cut your nose to spite your face.  Stupid clowns.

X-men was Fox. But, yeah, Sony is going to fuck this up because the executives can't resist inserting their terrible ideas. I hope the fans punish them hard, immediately, because the fans are the people being screwed over here.

27 days ago
6/8/08

So Sony probably went: Oh look! Since you guys took over, Spiderman has exploded! So we want 80% of everything you make on our Spidey! And the Avengers. And every character based in New York. Or the US. 

27 days ago
1/1/01
I'll wait and see what Sony does before I trash them. It's not like Marvel is batting a thousand with their movies.
27 days ago
1/1/01
blabbermouth - 
paw -

X-men was Fox. But, yeah, Sony is going to fuck this up because the executives can't resist inserting their terrible ideas. I hope the fans punish them hard, immediately, because the fans are the people being screwed over here.

Thanks for the correction.

27 days ago
3/7/05
Sony screwed up every other run at a Spiderman movie. Now they have convinced themselves they know better. They will interfere to the nth degree on the next one.
27 days ago
8/20/16
fryabusa - I'll wait and see what Sony does before I trash them. It's not like Marvel is batting a thousand with their movies.

"I'll wait to see what the studio that consistently wrecks its Spider-man franchise does before I trash them. It's not like the winningest comic film production studio in world history is batting a thousand with their movies."