GeekGround Superman Year One

Edited: 6/19/19 3:55 PM
8/20/16

*this may contain a spoiler, but I'm not sure how sensitive people are about that kind of thing. I wouldn't call it a spoiler, tho*

I just read the first issue. It's not terrible, which is all I've come to expect from Frank Miller. It's even brought a few ideas to the Superman story that I've never seen before. There are a few moments of higher-level authorship where Miller skips the inevitable scene of Pa Kent lecturing him for showing off his powers at the football game. It was a small thing, but the story was greatly enhanced by not seeing Miller's take on a scene we've read countless times before.

The dialogue, tho... yeesh. Miller writes country-folk affectations like Stan Lee captured the hip lingo of the sixties.

The art is pretty good. Romita Jr. is at a stage in his career where his faces are all deformed with giant eyes and huge noses. I'm not sure why his style has gone in this direction, but it's not for me.

All in all, I recommend it. Don't let my complaints fool you: it's work of a high quality compared to other books on the stands, even though it might not be for me.

6/19/19 3:58 PM
1/1/01

Here's a SPOILER filled review

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/19/frank-miller-clark-kent-superman-year-one-1-spoilers/

6/20/19 9:58 AM
3/7/05
I just cannot get behind Miller anymore, he went around the bend. And even at his best he is too dark for a Superman story.
Edited: 6/21/19 7:47 PM
10/27/03

“It's not terrible, which is all I've come to expect from Frank Miller.”

I mean, that applies to all Frank Miller work for the last 20yrs

6/21/19 4:24 PM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - I just cannot get behind Miller anymore, he went around the bend. And even at his best he is too dark for a Superman story.

Miller lost his magic for me when Dark Knight 2 happened... So yeah, almost 20 years ago.
6/23/19 7:26 PM
8/20/16
FingerorMoon - 

“It's not terrible, which is all I've come to expect from Frank Miller.”

I mean, that applies to all Frank Miller work for the last 20yrs

I think this is the first thing he's written in 20 years that I didn't think was terrible.
6/24/19 11:42 AM
3/7/05
The bits on bleeding cool don't look awful, but also not good. The bit with the near gang rape and Lana being affectionate rather than traumatized seems... off. It also seems just unnecessary.
27 days ago
8/20/16

Well, just read the second issue. It's full of Miller's old standby tropes, but puts Clark in some new situations. They don't amount to much, tho.

I think it's a step down from the first issue. It speeds past any moments that would be significant. And the plot elements really just looks like a writer put some ideas in a hat and pulled out the ones that would be funnest to snort cocaine off of.

Edited: 26 days ago
1/1/01
blabbermouth - 

And the plot elements really just looks like a writer put some ideas in a hat and pulled out the ones that would be funnest to snort cocaine off of.

You may have discovered the new "creative process".