GeekGround Watchmen (HBO) Possible Spoilers

10/21/19 10:12 AM
3/7/05

Watched the first episode, there was some interesting world building. But it is damon lindelof so I am thinking most of it will just be fluff that never goes anywhere.

They really up the racial angle from the comic, not sure how I feel about that. I suppose it will depend on how it plays out. I didn't really like any of the characters after 1 episode, there is noone who's story I really want to see. But it held my interest and I am curious to see a couple more.

In short, was well made, acting was good, nothing really grabbed me but I want to see more.

11/1/19 12:37 AM
1/18/03

I also want to see more.

Its dark enough, violent enough and fucked up enough that they have my attention.

11/3/19 8:26 AM
3/23/14

On a podcast I was listening to, they talked about Lindelof saying the nuclear threat of the comics was a bit dated and said racial tensions would be more relateable for todays audience. I'm not the biggest fan of that angle, but I'm 2 episodes in and I'm gonna stick with it. I love the Glass character, and also the main character has had some solid moments.

11/3/19 11:58 AM
3/7/05

Well that shows how dumb lindelof really is. Nukes are still very much a threat. And why use the Watchmen name if you are going to not use the characters, story and background?

11/4/19 9:25 AM
3/7/05

Ok, 3 episodes in and there are good things to report. we FINALLY have a fleshed out, 3D character, Silk Spectre has returned. Some more reveals are showing that other Watchmen characters are going to be involved as well. The story is still meandering, Silk tells a drawn out, pointless 'joke' that makes no sense at all. But at least she feels like some kind of actual person. It is doing just enough to keep me interested for another episode and not much more.

11/10/19 6:42 PM
1/1/01

I think Don Johnson was behind the White Night

11/11/19 10:06 AM
3/7/05
PatK - 

I think Don Johnson was behind the White Night

Yeah, I was leaning towards that even before they found that klan robe in his closet.
12/17/19 9:36 AM
3/7/05

Ok, update, finished the first season. There is a lot to this so I will try and focus on the good and the bad. Spoilers ahead.

Good:
They tied it all to the original Watchmen more or less. I liked that Trieu was the daughter of Adrian. It made her abilities and actions make more sense. Louis Gosset Jr is always a good thing. There were some very good performances and interesting world building going on here.

Bad:
Out of order story telling is low hanging fruit. It's not clever, it does not mean your story is more complex, it's a short cut. Pacing suffered in many episodes because of the way they laid things out. It is also clear to me the writers did not REALLY understand the characters from the comic. Adrian was not obsessed with adulation, he was obsessed with solving problems. Dr Manhattan was not going to fall madly in love with anyone, he was no longer human and drifting further from us every day.

On the subject of Dr Manhattan, a trap made out of lithium batteries? Really? It is very difficult to deal with a character that has essentially unlimited abilities and this show proved that. He gets attacked, every attacker should have instantly been turned to jello. And this is disregarding the 'love story' angle which did not make sense for Dr Manhattan. And if you didn't see the ending coming a million miles away I would guess it was because you fell asleep.

The entire thing felt like a set up to get the least likable character the powers of Dr Manhattan. Seriously, Sister Night was just kind of an ass. And the moment Doc does the egg trick and mentions he could, in theory pass his abilities... fuck that. I would have been much more down with Trieu getting his powers, at least she was a super genius.

Overall this had enough in it to keep me watching, but it had some deep flaws in the basics of pacing, story telling and just the fact they messed up Adrian and Doc in some key areas. All that being said I would have watched another season until they pulled the trigger on giving Doc's abilities to someone else like that. And Adrian getting arrested made no sense either. He easily defeated Night Owl, the Comedian, and Rorshach in hand to hand. Looking Glass with a wrench would have gotten handled, even by an older Adrian.

12/20/19 3:22 AM
3/23/14

They really should have never brought Dr.Manhatten into the show at all, maybe have him make a brief cameo and make cryptic statements about what's coming without revealing the details and then he leaves as he considers it all beneath him. Having a group of rednecks (albiet backed by higher up politicians) being able to capture the Dr, is just no bueno.

IMO the show was at its best when Silk Spectre and Sister Night were working as detectives and slowly piecing together parts of the story. Then the last half of the show boils down into a retcon of Hooded Justices backstory to shoe horn in a reason for the grandfather to be at all involved with the story (again, if they stayed away from Dr.Manhatten, this character wouldn't have been needed at all). Then the show spends 2 to 3 episodes working in a love angle for Dr.M that feels very forced. Also the last half of the show removes all agency of Silk Spectre and Sister Night and they either wind up constantly kidnapped or just stare and gawk while exposition is vomitted at them.

Trieu would've been a great villain without working in the Dr.Manhatten angle. Keep in mind outside of Dr.Manhatten, the Watchmen managed to have Ozymandias teleport a giant squid monster into NY and kill a ton of people with a psychic mind blast. With that kind of established material, Trieu could still be capable of doing something really off the beaten path without the need of Dr.M.

The racial themes while not the biggest deal for me in most cases of entertainment, was really heavy handed in this show. To the point where it definitely detracted from the overall quality of the show. The show had some solid moments but Dr.Manhatten and the overly played up racial themes were some big speed bumps in the shows flow.

Oddly enough another show somewhat like this (American Gods) just fired the director/writer of Season 2 because it went incredibly hammy with the same racial themes (there was literally a god/visage of black rage in season 2). They also fired Orlando Jones whose character on the show would play up tensions of black people. In season 1 he seemed to be more of an opportunist/trickster (he's also represented as a spider, so you know the whole tangled webs we weave theme) who knew how to rile up people to suit his own ends, but season 2 made him almost exclusively about racial politics.

12/20/19 10:35 AM
3/7/05

Good summation DCyrus, and I pretty much agree on all that. Doc could have been kept well out of it, more of a watching figure that does little to nothing to intervene. Maybe Trieu is trying to follow in Adrian's footsteps and out do him with something even bigger. That would have played well into her comment about re-runs and him lacking vision as he ages.

The love angle felt forced because it didn't belong on any level. In particular in a character that you keep wondering, why would anyone WANT to be with her. She is awful. They started great with Silk Spectre and then sort of forgot what they wanted her to do and she just hung around.

It would have been far better to have her, Looking Glass and Sister Night working together to bring down the 7th cavalry. Maybe have Sister Night taking that drug works into figuring them out only to discover the 7th Cavalry works for Trieu (though they don't know that). Because Trieu wants a fall guy for whatever she is planning, or something.

12/20/19 11:10 AM
12/10/16

Show was terrible. They need to leave Watchmen alone.

26 days ago
11/16/08

More buttfucking!

Edited: 14 days ago
5/2/02

I just finished the show and I loved it.  I was a little disappointed by Dr Manhattan not "doing" anything, but they also kind of make a point that he isn't motivated by the same things we are.  

Episode 3 with Silk Specter was the strongest.  Nice Foreshadowing of dropping a brick on God.  

14 days ago
3/7/05
nottheface - 

I just finished the show and I loved it.  I was a little disappointed by Dr Manhattan not "doing" anything, but they also kind of make a point that he isn't motivated by the same things we are.  

Episode 3 with Silk Specter was the strongest.  Nice Foreshadowing of dropping a brick on God.  

SS was probably the best character, she definitely got a lot more development than most, felt more 3 dimensional.
14 days ago
5/2/02
BigWilliam -
nottheface - 

SS was probably the best character, she definitely got a lot more development than most, felt more 3 dimensional.

I just found the larger thread of complaints about it being too woke.  I didn't feel that way at all.  I didn't really get why Rorschach would become the patron saint of a bunch of racists.