GeekGround and I on the other hand... finally saw Shazam

7/17/19 3:05 AM
6/8/08

And boy did I hate it. 

I knew, they'd go the humorous way from the trailer. But was it PG3? That was a children movie for children of the ages 5-10 but because some of the scenes, not suited for that age lol. 

Yes, almost all of you will disagree. But I hated it. 

1) all these cave scenes were terrible. They all looked like they were made in a Universal Studios Waiting Line, where the line goes through artificial caves. It SCREAMED studio, the entire time. Everything looked like a room with some plastic props. It was just horrible. 

2) WTF, does nobody check these movies? Bus goes off the bridge. Guy falls through the bus on the glas. Glas starts breaking... second person falls: Ok, that's it, the glas MUST break from the impact, if a person lying on it is already breaking it now... nope.  Bus falls down. 

How in the world did he save anybody, by just catching the bus 3 feet from the ground? What difference does it make if it crashes into the ground, or on his hands? And worse: He catches it by the same window that was about to break... then is holding the entire bus up by that windshield. WTF???? Yes, bla bla of disbelief, but come on, I'm not 5.....

3) The typical overpowered superhero dilemma: Just like in the Superman, where Zod and him are invulnerable, and just keep throwing each other through buildings or in the Black Panther Bossfight, where both have a unbreakable suit and thus all kicks and punches do just nothing... in the same way Shazam vs Glaseyed villain was entirely uninspered and devoid of any tension. OH wow, he just through Billy into the wall. So what? That wall is not magic. It's like if somebody judo throws me really good.... on a mat. And again and again, they meet in the air, do some thumb wrestling, then one gets flung to the ground, and repeat. 

There was NO SENSE of Billy being in danger any time, apart from the few moments he shazamed back to Billy form and thus could be killed by one burst of electricity. But of course it doesn't happen. Bad guy tries to drown him lol. Fucking dumb. 

Aside from that: I don't know Shazam at all. Last thing I've read with him was the Injustice storyline, which was awesome and so was Shazam. But really serious, dangerous and not to fuck with. I also know from Black Adam but: Now there are what, 6 Shazams? Is that from the comics? what happens to them, are they canon? If they are, Injustice and other storylines should have 6 Shazams, not one? Never heard of it. 

Yeah. Glad I'm done. 

7/17/19 10:13 AM
3/7/05
From the trailer I felt they went to silly and a bit snarky. Billy Batson was supposed to be basically a boy scout to the point where even Superman thought Shazam was a bit of a square.
7/17/19 11:38 AM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - From the trailer I felt they went to silly and a bit snarky. Billy Batson was supposed to be basically a boy scout to the point where even Superman thought Shazam was a bit of a square.

Agree about Billy Batson.

I haven't seen the Shazam movie, but it doesn't surprise me one bit that a Shazam movie would make pretty big changes to the character.

30 days ago
8/20/16

They were juggling some weird character building moments. A kid who kidnaps a police officer to search the computer in his squad car? That felt like something film writers thought was cool in the '80s.

Also, I didn't realize it was so easy for a woman to abandon her baby and never be found by authorities. That made me roll my eyes pretty hard.

Anyways, yes, imbuing other characters with a portion of his powers goes all the way back to the 1940s. They removed that aspect for decades because of how goofy it tended to be.

30 days ago
3/7/05
blabbermouth - 

They were juggling some weird character building moments. A kid who kidnaps a police officer to search the computer in his squad car? That felt like something film writers thought was cool in the '80s.

Also, I didn't realize it was so easy for a woman to abandon her baby and never be found by authorities. That made me roll my eyes pretty hard.

Anyways, yes, imbuing other characters with a portion of his powers goes all the way back to the 1940s. They removed that aspect for decades because of how goofy it tended to be.

Is that different from them creating the Marvel family? I thought when they had that each of them got their powers from the source, or did they always get them from Shazam?
30 days ago
8/20/16
BigWilliam -
blabbermouth - 

Is that different from them creating the Marvel family? I thought when they had that each of them got their powers from the source, or did they always get them from Shazam?

I thought they got their powers from him, but maybe I'm wrong. I haven't read any original Captain Marvel and don't know much about it.

29 days ago
6/8/08

The whole thing was a really strange mixture of absolutely childish plot aimed for young children - but with a bad guy that was too brutal and his demons that were too scary for that same age group. Very odd. 

29 days ago
6/8/08

20 days ago
6/16/07
the trailer looks like shit I have no interest in seeing this joke of a movie, and I love Captain Marvel.
17 days ago
1/1/01
"Now there are what, 6 Shazams? Is that from the comics? what happens to them, are they canon? If they are, Injustice and other storylines should have 6 Shazams, not one? Never heard of it."

The Captain Marvel family is old. Captain Marvel Jr. (Freddy) first appeared in 1941. Mary Marvel first appeared in 1942.

Eugene, Pedro, and Darla are fairly new, first appearing about a decade ago.
17 days ago
3/7/05
Wasn't there something that when it was the entire family they were each less powerful? Like they were sharing the overall power. So it is not like 6 Superman level heroes.
17 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - Wasn't there something that when it was the entire family they were each less powerful? Like they were sharing the overall power. So it is not like 6 Superman level heroes.

At one point yes, but I think that's went away over the last few years.
17 days ago
8/20/16
BigWilliam - Wasn't there something that when it was the entire family they were each less powerful? Like they were sharing the overall power. So it is not like 6 Superman level heroes.

I think each family member in the movie got a different aspect of his powers. One was fast, one was strong, etc.