Train Judo Ground 2019 Hohhot Grand Prix highlights

Edited: 5/28/19 10:50 PM
3/28/07

Day 1 - https://youtu.be/P_eYlyUnwXU.

#13- what this this sankaku turnover work against a resisting opponent is to move your butt backwards to flatten them out.

#12- nice counter

#11 Sneeky arm bar to the left side that surprized me.  Good setup to learn.

Day 2 - https://youtu.be/XNyL6P4PYfA

Day 3 - https://youtu.be/yYCrgVm3wtA

Overall some nice throws and setups.

5/29/19 10:51 AM
1/1/01

Man the Korean's are loving Uchi-Mata.  I feel like some of those techniques they gave away. That armbar looked poorly defended.

5/29/19 10:51 PM
3/28/07

Uhcimata is one of the Koreans favorites for 81k and above.   I didn't understand when you said give away?  The players in the middle of the road are trying to improve themselves and their WR. They don't get the experience they need because of their high seed rankings. 

Arm bar you said was poorly defended.  Usually you attack the right side the way the turnover ended up as he did but the opponent defended the choke attempt but he then switched to attacked the left side/arm.  

5/30/19 7:18 PM
12/21/04

5/31/19 9:14 AM
3/28/07

Thanks Aaron.  The IJF events are proving grounds for the higher seeded players to get experience and better ranking.  The lower seeds or "stars" are focused on getting their qualifying points for the Olympics and don't have to compete all the time and risk injury.  They have to just get their country's #1 ranking.  Good luck if your from Japan.  

What the higher seeds are striving to make the Olympics who othrewise would not  qualify by the point system.

"Further continental quotas (13 men and 12 women for Europe, 12 of each gender for Africa, 10 men and 11 women for Pan America, 10 of each gender for Asia, and 5 of each gender for Oceania are also available. These quotas are assigned by creating a list of all athletes for each continent across all divisions and both genders. "

I can't explain it so I copied and pasted it.

5/31/19 12:20 PM
12/21/04
The most interesting race to the Olympics will be between Ono and Hashimoto for Japan's 73kg spot. World Championships this year will be huge. I wonder if a reigning World Champion has ever not been selected to be on the Olympic Team?
Edited: 6/1/19 12:01 AM
3/28/07

This event the Hohhot Gran Prix began the 2 year qualification period for the Olympics.  The saying in elite judo is conquor or crumble.

Aaron, a partial answer to your question.  " Hosts Japan will be awarded a home quota allocation of 14 places which means that their athletes are not required to qualify and the Japanese Olympic Committee will be able to pick any national team member regardless of their world ranking."  

Mashu Baker (-90k) won gold in Rio 2016 Olympics and hasn't qualified/participated for 2020 Olympics.  New rising star who won 2019 Hohhot -90k is Nagasawa. placed 3rd in 2018 world judo championsips.  So the guy who won gold at the Olympics in 2016 didn't fight in next years world championships.  Injuries in this brutal sport take its toll.  Have to have down time, years in fact. Nagasawa was team member in 2017/2018 world judo championship team gold medal.   Baker was not listed as participant in either event.

6/3/19 9:21 AM
1/1/01
judoblackbelt -

Uhcimata is one of the Koreans favorites for 81k and above.   I didn't understand when you said give away?  The players in the middle of the road are trying to improve themselves and their WR. They don't get the experience they need because of their high seed rankings. 

Arm bar you said was poorly defended.  Usually you attack the right side the way the turnover ended up as he did but the opponent defended the choke attempt but he then switched to attacked the left side/arm.  

It just looked weird the way he defended it.

6/4/19 10:39 PM
3/28/07

I think it caught him by surprise when the attack switched from the right side to the left side. Bassou is ranked #38 in 66k and Tsai is ranked #78 in 66k.  Bassou fought in the 2016 Olmpics and lost in the round of 32.  

6/7/19 8:39 AM
1/1/01

Sweet videos.

Thanks for posting them.