Train Judo Ground 2019 Wold Judo Championships Aug. 25-Sept. 1.

16 days ago
1/1/01
Aaron Lapointe - 
Wasa-B - French women with 3 golds now.

Japan needs another gold on the last day, and maybe the team comp too.

The French women are fantastic and after their performance at this year's world championships they are arguably the best women's team in the world. Dominant performances on Japan's home soil.

Im not sure how the GP results go as much but at the world stage, I think you need consistency over 2-3 years to prove you're the best. Like winning a 1 time world is cool but I think in judo, you win your 2nd, 3rd and you really establish yourself.

Case in point, the Japanese women in 2018 won: 5 golds, 3 silvers, 1 bronze with 52kg being an all Japanese women final.
French women: 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

2017: Japanese women - 3 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze.
French women: 1 gold, 1 bronze

Even this year, while the French women won 3 golds, 1 bronze. The Japanese women were deeper with 2 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze. That means they were in the finals in 6/7 weights.

I'm also not sure how much weight is given to the team comp as the world champs may have already peaked but the Japanese women were 2-1 over the French women with Hamada avenging her final loss to Malonga.
16 days ago
1/1/01
Were the Kosovo women competing for Serbia before?
16 days ago
1/1/01
Was Ono also the only one to have ipponed all the way to gold? He also ipponed his team comp match in less than 30 seconds to boot...
16 days ago
7/8/03
Wasa-B - Was Ono also the only one to have ipponed all the way to gold? He also ipponed his team comp match in less than 30 seconds to boot...

Yeah I thought Ono was the most dominant through out... That team comp final was crazy, Ono threw the guy 2 times in 30 seconds

team competition is the best 

16 days ago
12/21/04
Wasa-B - 
Aaron Lapointe - 
Wasa-B - French women with 3 golds now.

Japan needs another gold on the last day, and maybe the team comp too.

The French women are fantastic and after their performance at this year's world championships they are arguably the best women's team in the world. Dominant performances on Japan's home soil.

Im not sure how the GP results go as much but at the world stage, I think you need consistency over 2-3 years to prove you're the best. Like winning a 1 time world is cool but I think in judo, you win your 2nd, 3rd and you really establish yourself.

Case in point, the Japanese women in 2018 won: 5 golds, 3 silvers, 1 bronze with 52kg being an all Japanese women final.
French women: 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

2017: Japanese women - 3 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze.
French women: 1 gold, 1 bronze

Even this year, while the French women won 3 golds, 1 bronze. The Japanese women were deeper with 2 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze. That means they were in the finals in 6/7 weights.

I'm also not sure how much weight is given to the team comp as the world champs may have already peaked but the Japanese women were 2-1 over the French women with Hamada avenging her final loss to Malonga.

You make several valid points and are probably correct. I'll admit that I have a crush on the French Team so I'm likely biased.  

15 days ago
3/28/07

Wasa B- Kelmendi represented Albania before Kosovo was recognized by the IOC in 2014.  She is ethnic Albanian. 

Japan really came thru in all weight categories that surprised me.  I have to believe home town advantege somewhere.

They eleveated their game( Mukai-90k) Wolf(100k). Harasawa (#3 ranked and no Riner).  Their stars for mens are in -60k/-66k/-73k.  Where they are "guarenteed' a medal.  -81k none.

Womens side near the same -48k/-52k/-57k they are "guarenteed" a medal.   -63k,73k none. 78k and +78k they had top ranked #2/#3 in the world who medaled. 

Edited: 12 days ago
4/25/11
Wasa-B - Were the Kosovo women competing for Serbia before?

No, Kosovo's seperation from Yugoslavia began in 1999 after a war between Albanian and Serbian forces that saw plenty of genocide and ethnic cleansing which eventually led to more independence in 2008 at the expense of Serbia. The Kosovar judo coach was also not allowed to represent Yugoslavia in major international competition back in the day because he was Albanian.