Train Judo Ground How many Japanese senseis regularly teach in U.S.?

Edited: 9/19/18 5:21 AM
1/1/01
Any info is appreciated thanks!
9/19/18 6:42 AM
3/28/07

I can only speak for Michigan -1 Noburo Saito.  I know of Chicago- Doug Tono. And in CA  Takahashi runs Tenri  Judo and  Nakano runs Nakano judo academy.  Go to USA judo website and they list all USA judo schools in USA state by state.    I see there are many Japanese names in CA. 

A good search site state by state.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Judo/About-Us/States-temp/Alaska

This wouldn't include USJA judo.  But I wouldn't think there are any Japanese instructors belonging to USJA.

9/19/18 10:34 AM
1/1/01

I belong to USJA and don't see a lot but then I haven't competed all over the US. Just here in NYS, NJ and MA.

9/19/18 12:11 PM
1/1/01
judoblackbelt - 

I can only speak for Michigan -1 Noburo Saito.  I know of Chicago- Doug Tono. And in CA  Takahashi runs Tenri  Judo and  Nakano runs Nakano judo academy.  Go to USA judo website and they list all USA judo schools in USA state by state.    I see there are many Japanese names in CA. 

This wouldn't include USJA judo.  But I wouldn't think there are any Japanese instructors belonging to USJA.

I actually don't see that many Japanese names.
How many Japanese (especially FROM Japan not Japanese-Americans born here) actually teach a regular instructional class, and are on the mat (as opposed to older folk just supervising a practice) as apart to just holding randori sessions?
9/19/18 12:14 PM
1/1/01
judoblackbelt - 

Thanks. A good list but strangely missing a lot of good names like Baragua Judo in Miami (run by father of former national champion Jonathan Fernandez who was ranked in the top 30 or so internationally in his division) and Kevin Asano's (Olympic silver medalist) dojo in Hawaii.
10/3/18 3:47 AM
1/1/01
Mmaeagle88 - 

A lot on east cost 

Who stands out?
10/9/18 11:45 AM
1/1/01

Yoichiro Matsumura, one of my senseis still teaches classes.  He is older now, and a 9th dan.

I asked him and showed him a vid of Mifune and he said that he trained under him and was used as his uke often because they were similar in size.

10/9/18 6:45 PM
1/1/01
SlapUsilly - 

Yoichiro Matsumura, one of my senseis still teaches classes.  He is older now, and a 9th dan.

I asked him and showed him a vid of Mifune and he said that he trained under him and was used as his uke often because they were similar in size.

Can a visiting student train with him? Does he teach private lessons? Thank you!
11/15/18 5:43 PM
11/11/14
FatBuddha - 
SlapUsilly - 

Can a visiting student train with him? Does he teach private lessons? Thank you!

I trained with Matsumura at the NYAC a decade ago. I would imagine he's getting on in age quite a bit by now.

In the 50's a lot of Japanese came over during the judo craze (much like a lot of Brazilians came over here in the 90's and early 2000's). Out of that group, Yonezuka (NJ) passed away not too long ago. Shiina is still around but I think he's retired now. I think Oishii may still be around.

If you want to learn from very old Japanese sensei the Kodokan is the place for it if you can speak Japanese. There are some old dudes there that can barely walk but yet still do judo.

Edited: 11/16/18 12:59 AM
1/1/01
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
SlapUsilly - 

I trained with Matsumura at the NYAC a decade ago. I would imagine he's getting on in age quite a bit by now.

In the 50's a lot of Japanese came over during the judo craze (much like a lot of Brazilians came over here in the 90's and early 2000's). Out of that group, Yonezuka (NJ) passed away not too long ago. Shiina is still around but I think he's retired now. I think Oishii may still be around.

If you want to learn from very old Japanese sensei the Kodokan is the place for it if you can speak Japanese. There are some old dudes there that can barely walk but yet still do judo.

Thank you. Where are Shiina and Oishii Senseis located? How was your experience with Sensei Matsumra? Was he teaching a formal group class?
11/16/18 2:11 PM
11/11/14
FatBuddha - 
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
SlapUsilly - 

Thank you. Where are Shiina and Oishii Senseis located? How was your experience with Sensei Matsumra? Was he teaching a formal group class?

Shiina used to have a club in Brooklyn and one in Stamford, CT. He was getting old so he retired from teaching in CT, and later retired from teaching in Brooklyn as well. Not sure what he is up to now.

Oishi has a club in Manhattan.

Matsumura used to be the head coach of the NYAC, not sure if he still is there. He was there whenever I would stop by the NYAC to train (it wasn't my home club).

Have you been to Japan yet? If not go straight to the source and take a peek
Edited: 11/18/18 9:56 PM
1/1/01
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
SlapUsilly - 

Shiina used to have a club in Brooklyn and one in Stamford, CT. He was getting old so he retired from teaching in CT, and later retired from teaching in Brooklyn as well. Not sure what he is up to now.

Matsumura used to be the head coach of the NYAC, not sure if he still is there. He was there whenever I would stop by the NYAC to train (it wasn't my home club).

Thank you!

Yes, 2 summers in Japan, once in 2010 and once in 2017. Both times I did the throwing techniques course at the Kodokan, and the second time I did the kata course too.
Apart from coming to the weekly kata class after that though and doing randori, I was disappointed there didn't seem to be any instructional opportunities (i.e. private lessons, group instructional classes, etc.) for foreigners not living there full time. Has your experience been different? Maybe I was looking in the wrong places or didn't have the connections.
11/19/18 8:21 AM
11/11/14
FatBuddha - 
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
SlapUsilly - 

Thank you!

Yes, 2 summers in Japan, once in 2010 and once in 2017. Both times I did the throwing techniques course at the Kodokan, and the second time I did the kata course too.
Apart from coming to the weekly kata class after that though and doing randori, I was disappointed there didn't seem to be any instructional opportunities (i.e. private lessons, group instructional classes, etc.) for foreigners not living there full time. Has your experience been different? Maybe I was looking in the wrong places or didn't have the connections.

Japanese judo has structured courses for kids, but once you are in high school it's all just randori and more randori. At the university level it's randori and more randori, and the same for people who are a bit older.

It's probably the worst country to learn judo as an adult.

11/20/18 8:59 PM
1/1/01
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
SlapUsilly - 

Thank you!

Japanese judo has structured courses for kids, but once you are in high school it's all just randori and more randori. At the university level it's randori and more randori, and the same for people who are a bit older.

That has been my experience too! Thanks for confirming that.
12/4/18 10:39 AM
1/1/01
ShortyMac -
FatBuddha - 
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
ShortyMac - 
FatBuddha - 
SlapUsilly - 

Thank you!

I was in Albany for work and sometimes train at a local school in the town next door. They were telling me the same thing.