Train Judo Ground Japanese high school judo training

Edited: 12/19/18 2:59 AM
7/20/09

Someone on /r/judo (https://www.reddit.com/r/judo) posted this and it was a pretty interesting read.

I recommend checking out the forum. It has 18k subscribers and a few new daily threads. The level of discussion is generally a bit lower when compared to here, but there are a lot of good posters and most of all it's active.

Anyway, here's a link and the OP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/judo/comments/a6g19g/my_experience_training_at_a_japanese_high_schools/

"As the title suggests, I had the opportunity to join a high school training sesh today. Here’s my experience.

Flow of events:

-5 minute warm up/ stretching / Ukemi -straight into 1 hour newaza/ 4 minutes per round -10 minutes uchikomi -1hr 30mins of randori/ 5 minutes per round -40 rounds speed uchikomi -cool down/ stretching

Coming from a super recreational judoka, I was really surprised at the amount of emphasis on randori. To be expected though cause this school is fighting to be the top in their prefecture, and best way to get good at Shiai is through relentless randori.

I totally could not keep up with the pace of the training, had to take a break in between each newaza/ randori round while the kids just kept on going with zero rest. Goes without saying I Got absolutely wrecked by everyone in newaza.

Would consider myself a pretty athletic and strong guy for my size, but these guys had mad strength. (spent a good minute trying to flip a guy over from turtle position with no avail.)

Then came randori. Started off with the girls squad, got my ass handed to me but held my ground pretty well compared to newaza, and landed one ippon Seionage . Then onto the guys, who could absolutely throw me on command with zero effort. Went flying through the air multiple times today.

Feeling weak, humbled, and grateful for the reality check. Can’t believe these guys train like this 6 days a week. One of the teachers told me the top school in the prefecture trains even more hours, 7 days a week. Mind = blown.

Tl;dr -went to high school judo club to train for a day -got ass absolutely handed to me by girls and boys alike -feelsgoodman.jpg"

12/20/18 8:10 AM
1/1/01

It's like TKD is in Korea. It's so imbedded in the culture the US could never compete.  I have heard stories like yours before. Thanks for sharing the experience.

12/20/18 1:20 PM
7/20/09
Outkaster -

It's like TKD is in Korea. It's so imbedded in the culture the US could never compete.  I have heard stories like yours before. Thanks for sharing the experience.

I was quite surprised when someone said on reddit that japanese training is mostly randori from high school onwards. It certainly seems so based on that story.

I guess it's understandable as youth already  have atleast 5-10 years of judo training come high school.

It reminds me of collegiate wrestling. Grueling and long workouts, albeit wrestlers do a lot of conditioning too.

12/20/18 2:23 PM
3/28/07

I bookmarked the thread and will check it out more.  Thanks.

12/31/18 10:45 AM
1/1/01
mkou -
Outkaster -

I was quite surprised when someone said on reddit that japanese training is mostly randori from high school onwards. It certainly seems so based on that story.

I guess it's understandable as youth already  have atleast 5-10 years of judo training come high school.

It reminds me of collegiate wrestling. Grueling and long workouts, albeit wrestlers do a lot of conditioning too.

It also seems like a lot of them are black belts at that point. I have been told in certain schools it's easy to gain rank.