Train Judo Ground Kayla Harrison on Food Truck Diaries

19 days ago
8/20/19

18 days ago
1/1/01

He needs to let her fuckin talk.  I knew some of this before but it's interesting. I like her a lot.

18 days ago
8/20/19
Outkaster -

He needs to let her fuckin talk.  I knew some of this before but it's interesting. I like her a lot.

She's not a dime-piece, so Big Brown lost the plot.

She's a beast of an athlete tho! Looking forward to seeing her fight some legit opponents. 

17 days ago
3/28/07

There are no opponents who handle her on the ground.  She is a much better fighter than Ronda.  She is more aggressive and less controversial.  I am glad there is a big payday for her considering her 20 years dedicated to judo.  

16 days ago
8/20/19

According to this angry guy in the video, Schaub said something racist & something sexist.

Edited: 14 days ago
3/28/07

All that may be true.  I remember watching a program on black female track stars.  Their coach Ed Temple who was a legend at Tennesee State in womens track  said in the documentary he wanted his black females to be foxes not oxes.   

Fast forward to today and you can't make any comments that are gender, race, looks related especially if you are a white male( you are automatically labeled).   On this forum we only look at the sincerity of the commentators and their related expertise.   My only interests are Kayla's next fights starting with Oct. 11.  

The interview to me was a dud. Kayla deserves much better. 

Edited: 6 days ago
12/21/04
I'll have to admit that I'm not of big fan of Kayla because she has an aura of arrogance in her interviews that rubs me the wrong way. The "I'm a 2x Olympic Gold Medalist", "I'm the best", "I do things that you can't" kind of attitude ( the last quote is not hers but it gets the point across). I fully recognize that it is this mindset that allows her to achieve greatness and without it she probably wouldn't have the same level of success. No doubt a lot of great athletes success is linked to them having a "I'm better than you" type of mindset. With that said, there are plenty of athletes and judoka who achieve the same great results without coming across as being cocky when they're interviewed. Daria Bilodid, Clarisse Agbegdenou, and Uta Abe are just three examples in the judo world, but I could list plenty more. Of course Kayla nowhere approaches the same level of arrogance that MMA Rousey presented, but it's still a little too much for my liking. Who knows. Maybe it's an American thing and U.S. athletes just tend to be more cocky than athletes from some other countries. Anyway, just my personal opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of people who disagree with me and don't see the arrogance I'm referring to. There's no questioning her judo skills. She truly is one of the best of all time.
Edited: 5 days ago
3/28/07

Aaron,  I got to know Kayla over the years at the many judo tournaments in the US before she was a star.  I talkd to her on a few occasions and she always impressed me as humble, quiet and disciplined.  Never arrogant.   She has changed her MMA persona to match the sports hype.  Which I see as middle of the road compared to the guys bravado.  No one else has her all around abilities.  She has been allowed to open up where as in judo her life was quiet and disciplined behind closed doors in a dojo.  She has learned to be more open about herself and enjoy what the sport has to offer.  Espress herself where in judo she couldn't/didn't.

Edited: 5 days ago
12/21/04
Thanks for the insight judoblackbelt. I'm sure you are correct. I should also reiterate that I understand her approach and recognize that it has worked for her. There is an interview with her by Fighting Films/Superstar Judo (available on youtube) when she talks about her mental preparation. She says in that interview that for years she used positive self-talk and visual imagery to convince herself that she was the best. And sometimes this extreme self-confidence slips out during her interviews in a way that I don't see when someone like Clarisse Agbegdenou is talking, even though Clarisse has every reason to be very self-confident, and probably is.
Edited: 2 days ago
3/28/07

In judo there are many tournaments to test yourself against known opponents.  Earn prize monies for top place finishes.  No hype in judo just ippons and who you beat that day.  MMA you are martketed constantly and talked about with your opponents.  How can this not have some impact on you? The risks are much greater given the brutality of the sport.  The unknown of the opponents  and things can happen in a MMA match not anticipated until it happens.  More reaction to the situation than judo due to less familiarity of the opponents.  In judo I knew what she would do in many situations. In MMA I just watch like everyone else and see how see reacts to the given moment. New instincts being developed. 

5 days ago
12/21/04

judoblackbelt you are correct. I just went back and listened to some of Kayla's pre-mma interviews when she was purely a judoka and there was none of that arrogance in her voice that I previously mentioned. She came across as a very respectful, humble, and nice individual. Probably not fair to compare the MMA Kayla to a full-time judoka like Clarisse. Different sports with different fans and different expectations.  

4 days ago
1/1/01

I met her two years ago at Kintora Judo in Buffalo which is near me. She led two seminars. One on her famous armbar and another about gripping, which was Pedro's gripping  patterns.  She was cool to me and didn't seem arrogant.  I just didn't like that guy interviewing her.  He really seems ignorant.

4 days ago
3/28/07

She deserved much better interviewer.  Not sure why she did it.  

Edited: 3 days ago
8/14/07
Aaron Lapointe - Thanks for the insight judoblackbelt. I'm sure you are correct. I should also reiterate that I understand her approach and recognize that it has worked for her. There is an interview with her by Fighting Films/Superstar Judo (available on youtube) when she talks about her mental preparation. She says in that interview that for years she used positive self-talk and visual imagery to convince herself that she was the best. And sometimes this extreme self-confidence slips out during her interviews in a way that I don't see when someone like Clarisse Agbegdenou is talking, even though Clarisse has every reason to be very self-confident, and probably is.

World Level competitive sports require that type of mindset. It probably doesn't come out except in certain situations.