Train Judo Ground Montreal Grand Prix

7/8/19 11:42 PM
3/28/07

The picture with Jeon (KOR) was most impresive to me.  His throwing/gripping skills were unmatched in his day.  Olympic Gold once and World Champion  Gold 3 times. 

Thanks for the postings.  You help keep the forum relevant with your insight and appreciation for the sport.  And your practice of judo.

7/9/19 9:00 AM
12/21/04
judoblackbelt - 

The picture with Jeon (KOR) was most impresive to me.  His throwing/gripping skills were unmatched in his day.  Olympic Gold once and World Champion  Gold 3 times. 

Thanks for the postings.  You help keep the forum relevant with your insight and appreciation for the sport.  And your practice of judo.

Yeah, it was so exciting meeting all these superstars. Inoue walked right past me but I blew my chance to get a photo. Judoblackbelt, I'm guessing you were able to identify most of the judokas in my pictures but did you recognize all of them?
7/9/19 3:47 PM
3/28/07

Not the new younger players.  The ones that have been in judo  for many years I recognise easily.  I watch all the IJF events Final Rounds for the past umpteen years.   And yes  Inoue was the last Japanese superstar with his spectacular judo.   Japan and myself is always looking for the next "Inoue" in the larger weight categories.  At one time I thought Anai (100k) was the guy.  He came close usually placing in the  top 3 ( medals) and one individual World Championship but no Olympic medals.  In the larger weight categories strength ( vs. quickness) is more of a factor and the Japanese are not as physically strong compared to say the Russians/Georgians for example.  In the 100+k Harasawa of Japan has won a SIlver 2016 Olympics Rio (loss to RIner) and Bronze 2018 World Championships.  

7/9/19 6:26 PM
12/21/04

All Ippons from Days 1, 2, and 3 at Montreal Grand Prix.  

Edited: 7/12/19 9:51 AM
12/21/04

Judoblackbelt, the judokas in the photos with me are as follows (from top to bottom)

1. Soichi Hashimoto (Japan 73kg) - 2017 World Champion, 2018 Vice World Champion, 2016 Asian Champion

2. Christa Deguchi (Canada 57kg) - 2018/19 Pan American Champion, 2018/19 Paris Grand Slam Champion

3. Jessica Klimkait (Canada 57kg) - 2018 Osaka Grand Slam Champion, 2017 Pan American Champion

4. Jeon Ki-Young (South Korea 78/86kg) - 1996 Olympic Champion, 1993/95/97 World Champion

5. Sarah Menezes (Brazil 48/52kg) - 2012 Olympic Champion, 2010/13/15/16 Pan American Champion

6. Maria Perez (Puerto Rico 70kg) - 2019 Pan American Champion, 2017 Vice World Champion

7. Neil Adams (Great Britain 71/78kg) - 1981 World Champion, 1980/84 Olympic Silver medalist

8. Naohisa Takato (Japan 60kg) - 2013/17/18 World Champion, 2017 Asian Champion

9. Kherlen Ganbold (Mongolia 66kg) - 2017 Masters Champion

10. Aziza Chakir (Morocco 48kg) - 2018 Vice African Champion, WRL #1 Cadets 2014

10. Soumiya Iraoui (Morocco 52kg) - 2018 African Champion

11. Robert Mshvidobadze (Russia 60kg) - 2017 European Champion, 2018 Vice World Champion

7/11/19 4:32 PM
3/28/07

Aaron it is going to take me some time to respond to the videos and your photo's.  There is a lot of skill mismatch in the video.  Higher seed players against much lower seed or unranked. 

Day 1 -Choke @ 2:48 and 4:01 from half guard was one of my favorite techniques. Turnover @ 3:01 is classis judo everyone should learn. Grabbing your own gi and turnover and hold at 3:19 is how it is taught and everyone should learn.   Peruvian necktie hold and step over turnover @3:29 shows you don't need the gi to turnover.  Hold and roll  @5:50 never seen it done this way. Usually you block a knee.  A little risky against a better/strong opponent.  Arm trap and turnover @7:15 by grabbing the gi pant at the knee is exactly how it is taught.

I was trained by a Japanese Sensei for 21 1/2 years so this is why I recognise these techniques. I have practived them all many many times.  

7/14/19 10:35 PM
3/28/07

Day 2 - :25 Delpopolo getting choked out.  Sad. His reflexes are not what they once were.   Half guard will not get you the Matte call anymore.  7:28 didn't see the arm bar by Hashimoto comming. 7:45 Jack Hatton (USA) -81k losing to the Russian in Golden Score. 8:03 my favorite pin from Sankaku. 

Good judo to watch.  Some skills mismatch but overall fundamental judo.  Really like the extra time on the ground.  Stalling for a Matte is no longer wise.

7/15/19 11:04 AM
12/21/04
judoblackbelt - 

Day 2 - :25 Delpopolo getting choked out.  Sad. His reflexes are not what they once were.   Half guard will not get you the Matte call anymore.  7:28 didn't see the arm bar by Hashimoto comming. 7:45 Jack Hatton (USA) -81k losing to the Russian in Golden Score. 8:03 my favorite pin from Sankaku. 

Good judo to watch.  Some skills mismatch but overall fundamental judo.  Really like the extra time on the ground.  Stalling for a Matte is no longer wise.

Good call about half-guard no longer stopping osaekomi. I noticed that when I was watching the matches and didn't know if it was a trend or change in the rules.
7/16/19 7:43 AM
3/28/07

Change in the rules.  If you are in half guard they give you more time to get your leg out or try a submission (arm bar or choke). I really like the extra time on the ground to create the situation.

I still have to review your photo's and Day 3.  I will get there.  There appears a lot of new players in this tournament.  Some high ranked seeds but more lower ranked or unranked seeds. The stars is what makes it interesting.  

7/18/19 12:59 PM
1/1/01
judoblackbelt -

Funny how newaza is absent in a lot of clinics I go to. Don't remember if Nick went over that last time I was at a seminar. That bow and arrow choke is pretty cool. You don't see it used much.

7/18/19 1:07 PM
12/21/04
Outkaster - 
judoblackbelt -

Funny how newaza is absent in a lot of clinics I go to. Don't remember if Nick went over that last time I was at a seminar. That bow and arrow choke is pretty cool. You don't see it used much.

Actually, bow and arrow choke or a variant of it in the okuri eri jime family is very common in judo because it presents itself so often. Probably the most common submission in judo.
Edited: 7/19/19 7:32 AM
3/28/07

Agree with Aaron it is common choke.  You rarely see Nick win on the ground.  He saves his energy for standup because that is were he is most likely to score.   But lately he has been unable to score with throws.   There is too much competition at the top level and too much competition from the newcomers.  It is very difficult for him to get a win out of the first round.  

I will get to Day 3 and the photos in due time Aaron. 

7/18/19 9:39 PM
12/21/04
judoblackbelt - 

Agree with Aaron it is common choke.  You rarely see Nick win on the ground.  He saves his energy for standup because that is wear he is most likely to score.   But lately he has been unable to score with throws.   There is too much competition at the top level and too much competition from the newcomers.  It is very difficult for him to get a win out of the first round.  

I will get to Day 3 and the photos in due time Aaron. 

I always look forward to your analyses.
7/19/19 7:38 AM
3/28/07

Thanks Aaron, just trying to share my knowledge for discussion.

Edited: 7/22/19 12:57 PM
1/1/01

Nick told me a couple years ago he had "maybe two good years left"  That was at a seminar at Niagara Falls Judo. I never knew that choke was popular but you guys have been to more tournaments than I have.

7/19/19 11:07 AM
12/21/04
Outkaster - 

Nick told me a couple years ago he had "maybe two good years left"  That was at a seminar at Niagara Falls Judo. I never knew that joke was popular but you guys have been to more tournaments than I have.

You might not see it as much in local or lower level tournaments but at the upper level where people are very good at transitioning from tachi-waza to newaza you see it all the time.
Edited: 7/19/19 9:52 PM
3/28/07

Day 3 massive slam by Eldahus(CAN) on Fry(GER), -100k.  Eldahus is Egyptian who moved to Canada. Impressed with his judo, WR #14. Lost to Darwish(EGY) (WR #7) in the Finals.  

3:23 how I learned to pass the guard/half guard.  Head traps the opponents left hip, right hand goes under the leg and grabs the jacket gi or belt, this traps the left hip.  Left hand goes over the top of the opponents right thigh. Stand and twist your hips to extract your trapped leg and move into side pin.  Pedro/Burris/Kayla uses this technique. 

Day 3 the match speed is much slower.  More physical.  Some skill mismatch with a lot of lower seeds trying to get experience and some points.  

7/22/19 1:00 PM
1/1/01

We do a series of half-guard escapes and transistions. One of our black belts is great with the half guard.