Train Judo Ground New to Judo help.

8/6/18 8:27 AM
12/5/12

So Ive been doing BJJ for nearly 9 years. Last year I had a pretty bad knee injury during partially tore my acl, Mcl, lcl there all still intact but the knee still feels uncomfortable in certian positions.

Anyway I have just started Judo and I'm terrified of doing the stand up sparring. I'm still worried about my knee and I just can't get over my fear. 

Has anyone come back from a bad knee injury and returned to training does anyone have any advice. 

8/6/18 2:05 PM
1/1/01

That's a tough one.  A lot of goes are tentative about stuff like that. Stand up tachi- waza can be rough.  You will have to take it in steps. Judo is throwing, more throwing and then throwing even more.  It may be that you have to work around that injury. How are the instructors you have?  Are you older?

8/6/18 4:56 PM
12/5/12
Outkaster -

That's a tough one.  A lot of goes are tentative about stuff like that. Stand up tachi- waza can be rough.  You will have to take it in steps. Judo is throwing, more throwing and then throwing even more.  It may be that you have to work around that injury. How are the instructors you have?  Are you older?

The instructors are great they understand my concerns and are happy at the moment for me to do ground work with their students as I can show them stuff on the ground. 

I don't mind being thrown it's more the inside and outside trips  

I'm 29 years old. 

8/7/18 7:37 AM
3/28/07

Starting judo with that type of injury is very difficult.  You need knee stability in doing the throws on someone else let alone being the receiver of throws.  Helping students on the ground is good as long as you yourself first learn judo groundwork.  Students there are to learn judo not BJJ.   I don't see how you would be able to do some actual standup sparring.  My advice would be top learn the judo throws and groundwork and don't risk further injury to your knee.

8/7/18 11:30 AM
1/1/01

Well ashi-waza is part of Judo. If they are willing to work with you that's fine. Some schools just focus on throwing more than groundwork but every situation is different.

8/8/18 4:33 PM
6/18/10

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UW1K5W/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B000UW1K5W&pd_rd_wg=I1gnI&pd_rd_r=1C54B25KB4BY471K17NX&pd_rd_w=VJxGX

I wore a brace similar to this one after I dislocated my kneecap & tore MCL. Doctor recommended one that had all the armature padded internally so as not to hurt partners. Check with your doctor/surgon to see if they have something similar.  

8/8/18 6:24 PM
3/28/07

I have worn that brace for MCL/LCL sprains.  Not sure how it would do for ACL injuries.  Might need some straping to criss cross above and below the knee.  But you are right to ask your orthopedic and get a prescription to buy a brace and have your Medical Insurance pay for it.  Some guys in judo had there meniscus worn out and used the expensive $800/$1000 braces.  On the mat they were unbearble to the partner.  If you got leg swept it was like getting hit with a log.  

8/8/18 6:31 PM
6/18/10
judoblackbelt -

I have worn that brace for MCL/LCL sprains.  Not sure how it would do for ACL injuries.  Might need some straping to criss cross above and below the knee.  But you are right to ask your orthopedic and get a prescription to buy a brace and have your Medical Insurance pay for it.  Some guys in judo had there meniscus worn out and used the expensive $800/$1000 braces.  On the mat they were unbearble to the partner.  If you got leg swept it was like getting hit with a log.  

Yes. This wasn’t the exact brace that I had but similar. Mine was referred through the doctor & paid for, mostly, by insurance. 

10/15/18 1:51 AM
5/8/15
thegreatone287 -

So Ive been doing BJJ for nearly 9 years. Last year I had a pretty bad knee injury during partially tore my acl, Mcl, lcl there all still intact but the knee still feels uncomfortable in certian positions.

Anyway I have just started Judo and I'm terrified of doing the stand up sparring. I'm still worried about my knee and I just can't get over my fear. 

Has anyone come back from a bad knee injury and returned to training does anyone have any advice. 

When you randori, and someone goes for a throw, let them, get comfortable taking the fall. If you try to defend a technique, chances are you will loose more than you will gain. Also, instead of sparring, you can ask your sensei to let you work on grip technique. Good luck in any case.

10/19/18 8:02 PM
1/1/01
You may want to focus on rehabing the hell out of it before you continue judo.
10/23/18 2:37 PM
1/1/01

I would.