Train Judo Ground Whatever happened to "NEW SPORT" Judo

1/5/19 12:45 PM
12/1/18

I remember this being a flash in the pan however it seemed like a super awesome idea...

I grew up loving Judo passionately however the new rules are absolutely terrible and I think judo will end up getting relegating into the Dustbin of martial arts history thanks to all the silly fiddling with the rules.

whatever happened to that super cool idea of new sport Judo?

1/5/19 8:12 PM
1/1/01

what kind of "sport" judo?

1/5/19 10:26 PM
1/1/01

shit, i wasted 10000 on snark

1/6/19 12:00 PM
3/28/07

Judo is thriving on world stage.  So much IJF action has been posted on this page you must of have not been following it.  The action is better than it has ever been.   The match time has been reduced 1 min,( 5 min to 4 min.).  Scores are wazari or ippon only.  You cannot win/lose by shito's unless you get 3 shito's for a DQ.  Use to be 4 shito's for a DQ and you could win by having less shito's in case of a tie score, no more.  The shito's do not count against you unless you accumulate 3.  Inadventant below the waist grab/block is not a DQ but a shito now.    New ways to do kata garuma without touching the legs.  On the ground 10 sec for wazari and 20 seconds for ippon.  2 wazari's is back as an ippon.  The IJF is growing judo in the ranks below Seniors so there is a continous pipeline feeding the Seniors.   The Juniors(15-20 yrs old)  is where these future champions are being groomed.   The Japanese have the best overall judo in the world for men and women.  

1/10/19 5:24 PM
12/1/18

There was a actual thing called newsport Judo.

Judo is not covered on tv and even national championships can't fill a high school gymnasium with spectators so I don't know how popular it is?

https://youtu.be/2R_mUyT0-uw

1/11/19 12:36 AM
1/1/01

i thought you were refering to this,

1/11/19 12:09 PM
12/1/18
de braco -

i thought you were refering to this,

I think thats it, this aired on ESPN around the same slot as iska kickboxing series correct?

1/11/19 12:52 PM
1/1/01

that is the only episode that aired to my knowledge, it alternated with a pro tkd sister show, k-1 american versions, iska and various sumo bashos in the martial arts slot on espn2.

1/12/19 10:15 AM
12/1/18

I'll dig out my old VHS but I'm pretty sure there was a show titled new sport Judo

I think it's the same thing... very exciting but most likely worked.

1/12/19 1:48 PM
1/1/01

have never heard anything like that, at all. The pro judo show was mostly urban legend until i uploaded that copy, which is still the only one floating around.

Edited: 1/12/19 5:34 PM
12/21/04

As judoblackbelt mentioned, judo is more exciting than ever and has the chance to become even more exciting now that they are allowing more time on the ground. Minimal stalling and few boring matches now that you can get disqualified for "defensive judo." Plus a lot more countries are producing top-level talent. Heck, judo has almost surpassed wrestling as the #1 sport in Mongolia (helps when the president of your country is also the president of your judo federation) and other countries like France have made it part of their academic system so almost all children are exposed to judo growing up.  

1/13/19 9:52 AM
3/28/07

Thanks for the support Aaron.  I can't related to these posts on this topic.  Many of the posters on this forum talking about leg grabs in the past I doubt ever competed or trained much in judo.  And do not follow judo today like you and in do.  When you or I post matches and commentary on individual athletes/events, I don't their posts  That says to me they are not knowledgeable about the top players/game today.

Edited: 1/13/19 11:00 AM
12/21/04
judoblackbelt - 

Thanks for the support Aaron.  I can't related to these posts on this topic.  Many of the posters on this forum talking about leg grabs in the past I doubt ever competed or trained much in judo.  And do not follow judo today like you and in do.  When you or I post matches and commentary on individual athletes/events, I don't their posts  That says to me they are not knowledgeable about the top players/game today.

I always value your insight and opinions. On a separate note I recently purchased tickets to the Montreal Grand Prix on July 5-7. Second row seats. First time the IJF World Tour is coming to Canada. I'm stoked!! Hoping to not only see, but meet some of my favorite judokas.
1/13/19 12:21 PM
1/1/01
judoblackbelt -

indeed, if it wasn't for you, most of us would never have even heard of judo, and i for one, tip my hat and salute you.

1/13/19 8:58 PM
3/28/07

Aaron and myself post on this forum to keep the members up to date on judo, we study the players and action over the years.  We offer our insight after watching many many IJF matches from Grand Prix's, Grand Slams, World Championships and Olympics.   We keep watch on the top athletes in both men and women.  The competitiveness is the highest of any grappling sport I have watched because of the participation from so many countries and their youth programs from an early age that constantly feeds the Senior level.  The US witihout Kayla doesn't have a top ten rated player in the IJF ranking.  Nick Delpopolo(29 yrs. old) is ranked #37 in 73k, Jack Hatton who took Travis place in 81K is ranked 29th and is 22 yrs old.   You have to go international (IJF)to get a feel for the judo scene.  This is where the discussion should be not on some leg grab rule in 2010.  The most recent rule changes in judo is forcing the competitors  to engage in more dynamic action throwing or on the ground.

1/13/19 9:14 PM
3/28/07

Aaron.  I attended the first one in Florida many years ago.   It was an eye opener.  Make sure you go to the  warmup areas and watch the athletes warm-up.  The Russians were the most impressive with their dance like judo warm-ups. And I did get to meet some of the judokas and or their coaches.  A better place to see them up close was at the morning weigh-ins since I stayed at the hotel of the competitors.   The whole experience was surreal.  

1/17/19 7:53 AM
1/1/01

Judo is popular every except in the US. The evidence is pretty easy to spot the more schools I go to.  I have trained at Cohoes Judo, Kintora Judo in Buffalo, NY, DC Judo (my daughter goes to college in DC) Niagara Falls Judo, and Tohuku Judo in Mass.  They all say about the same thing, it suffers from a marketing problem that evidently started years ago.  Some schools have healthy student bodies but Kayla Harrison told me that she goes to schools where there isn't even a sign outside.  That's not good. Every Olypmian talks about it when I get to attend seminars. judoblackbelt has really kept the forum running all these years.

1/17/19 5:25 PM
12/21/04
judoblackbelt - 

Aaron.  I attended the first one in Florida many years ago.   It was an eye opener.  Make sure you go to the  warmup areas and watch the athletes warm-up.  The Russians were the most impressive with their dance like judo warm-ups. And I did get to meet some of the judokas and or their coaches.  A better place to see them up close was at the morning weigh-ins since I stayed at the hotel of the competitors.   The whole experience was surreal.  

Yeah, I can't wait. I'm going to be starstruck. Hoepfully, a lot of my favorite judokas compete in this one instead of going to the Budapest Grand Prix which is the week after. 

1/18/19 3:18 AM
6/18/10
Outkaster -

Judo is popular every except in the US. The evidence is pretty easy to spot the more schools I go to.  I have trained at Cohoes Judo, Kintora Judo in Buffalo, NY, DC Judo (my daughter goes to college in DC) Niagara Falls Judo, and Tohuku Judo in Mass.  They all say about the same thing, it suffers from a marketing problem that evidently started years ago.  Some schools have healthy student bodies but Kayla Harrison told me that she goes to schools where there isn't even a sign outside.  That's not good. Every Olypmian talks about it when I get to attend seminars. judoblackbelt has really kept the forum running all these years.

The no sign thing is correct. When I was practicing, both dojo's I attended were led by great instructors (Rubio at 5 Cities & Leinenger in SLO) and neither had a sign as both were shared with either boys clubs or other sporting orgs. Rubio's did have a decent class size but Leininger never had more than a handful of people(although some beasts would make a trip in to train on occasion).   

1/18/19 9:19 AM
3/28/07

I can agree. My club was run thru the YMCA(Sensei is 7th Dan, Japanese, IJF "A" ref, Olympic ref, past President of USJF.  Others run thru community organizations( Public schools), colleges, other YMCA's.  Now you see judo being offered at BJJ/MMA schools beccause they have the numbers of participants.  Some of the "old schools" are still around but don't have the numbers.  Judo got some boost from Rhonda, Kayla and Travis I think but in the sense to add to round out your grappling skills and some to give judo a try at a judo school who arn't interested in  MMA/BJJ.  Kayla is going to dominate in MMA once she gets her striking down.  There is not a woman in MMA who can out grapple her or best her on the ground.  And she is a warrior.  Kayla has the temperment, skills and dedication to make it to the top and stay there.  More than Ronda has/had.  

Edited: 1/18/19 9:50 AM
3/28/07

Aaron, it is an Olympic qualifying event also which should attract some of the top judokas in the world.  Olympic Tokyo 2020 only top 18 IJF ranked judokas in each weight category qualify thru "Direct qualification" and a Continental qualification(Hard for me to explain without getting into the weeds other than a Continental qualify list ) .  But total number of qualifiers is 386, period.  This 2 year period for Olympic qualification (began around May 2018) was best sumarized as conquer and crumble for the elite judoka.  Travis is the perfect example of this.  It should be quite an event.

1/18/19 10:30 AM
1/1/01
rmenergy -
Outkaster -

The no sign thing is correct. When I was practicing, both dojo's I attended were led by great instructors (Rubio at 5 Cities & Leinenger in SLO) and neither had a sign as both were shared with either boys clubs or other sporting orgs. Rubio's did have a decent class size but Leininger never had more than a handful of people(although some beasts would make a trip in to train on occasion).   

That happens to us too.  Once in a while we have some good players just visit. For a while a 3rd degree from Africa trained with us.   He was really good and had good ideas for warm ups.  The school with the healthiest population besides DC Judo is Kintora Judo in Buffalo, NY. A bunch of nice guys and they are actually a Judo school with some odd ball Martial Arts classes built in on the side.  They have referees there and some good players.  Kayla was impressed.  Years ago (1969) when the Grisanti family started it there was students that were from all over training because they attended the University of Buffalo. Or Buffalo State.   I notice when Judo is clumped together with other martial arts programs it suffers or can do well, it depends.