OtherGround Forums Question regarding Divorce & Divorce Attorneys

1/7/14 10:16 AM
10/2/09
Any help will be appreciated.

My brother is about to go through a divorce. 23 years of marriage, no kids, both work. I suspect they are in debt (she spends a lot).

I am trying to help him through this but have no experience here.

Any advice regarding how to make a divorce go smoothly?

Any advice on how to deal with a divorce atorney so he doesn't screw you with bills?

Thanks
1/8/14 7:46 AM
1/5/05
Keep lawyers out of it on both sides if you can and both parties are savvy enough to figure out how to deal with the assets.

1/8/14 11:12 AM
10/2/09
Thanks. The other advice I was given is to use a mediator instead of attorneys if possible.
1/20/14 5:52 PM
3/3/03
Do they have any assets at all? or is it just a matter of splitting debt?
1/20/14 6:02 PM
10/2/09
They have a house with a mortgage on it. I know he has a 401k at work, I assume she does, but I am not sure about that. Other than that, there is debt.
9/27/14 12:15 AM
1/1/01
I hope for their sake both are mature enough to leave lawyers out of their divorce if at all possible.

Both, the wife and I, divorced about 3 years ago and we sat down to work out the details with the intent to leave the state and lawyers out of our business and life. We paid something like 400.00 bucks to finalize the paperwork at the court house and both us remained on speaking terms after everything was said and done.

Once you invite the law into your life, when there are kids involved, you invite in CPS to get into the picture when things go sour. People should know better than to drag in state entities into their private lives, regrettably, many just don't.
9/27/14 1:56 AM
3/3/03
ReneH - I hope for their sake both are mature enough to leave lawyers out of their divorce if at all possible.

Both, the wife and I, divorced about 3 years ago and we sat down to work out the details with the intent to leave the state and lawyers out of our business and life. We paid something like 400.00 bucks to finalize the paperwork at the court house and both us remained on speaking terms after everything was said and done.

Once you invite the law into your life, when there are kids involved, you invite in CPS to get into the picture when things go sour. People should know better than to drag in state entities into their private lives, regrettably, many just don't.
You sir are correct Phone Post 3.0
10/6/14 7:35 PM
1/1/01
Yep, if it's just debt, no kids, etc., they should work it out on their own, and pay a few hundede to get it written up and submitted to the court.