OtherGround Forums What's going on here?

6/24/14 11:36 AM
3/3/03

This forum was once a bustling place but lately has been exceptionally stagnant.  Wake up people!

Let's talk some law and shit!

My latest pro bono case:   Guy comes to me about some legal problem but during the interview I find out he is on the sex offender registry.  I ask about that and he tells me that he is 24 now but it all happened when he was 19.  He had joined the marines and went through boot camp at Paris Island.  Upon graduating BC he and a bunch of his buddies get a couple of hotel rooms in North Carolinia and get a bunch of liquor and stripper/hookers.  Things get a little loud as you might imagine from a group of marines just out of BC.  Cops bust the party and one of the hookers says she was raped.  MPs are called and there is a huge investigation.  As it turns out she wasn't raped, but didn't want to get busted for turning tricks (imagine a woman being devious???)  Through the course of the investigations my guy admits to get blowjobs from the strippers/hookers.  Apparently in NC it is illegal to give or recieve oral sex as it is a felony "Crime Against Nature"  and he pleads to that horseshit for no jail time, just a few years probation and no sex offender registry.  But it does kick him out of the marines and he has a low grade felony on his record. 

He transfers probation from NC to West Virginia.  The West Virginia probation officer makes him register as a sex offender!  What a load of shit.  First of all, it wasn't registerable in the offending state (NC), furthermore the underlying crime is not even a crime in WV.  I'm going to try to help this poor sap out.

7/2/14 12:49 PM
1/1/01
Yikes! What a load of shit. I hope it works out. Good for you for taking him on.
7/7/14 2:32 PM
3/3/03
pm1964 - Yikes! What a load of shit. I hope it works out. Good for you for taking him on.

We'll see what comes of it.

What's the latest legal stuff you've been working on?

7/7/14 4:11 PM
12/2/05
Too late to get the entire thing tossed based on Lawrence?
7/8/14 1:34 PM
3/3/03
Fake Pie - Too late to get the entire thing tossed based on Lawrence?
I wondered about that too. Not licensed in NC Phone Post 3.0
7/28/14 2:44 PM
3/3/03

Someone post something interesting they are doing.

9/11/14 5:29 PM
3/3/03

*crickets chirping*

9/12/14 5:34 PM
1/1/01
I am stuck in an endless cycle of class action wage and hour defense. Great money to be made, but paperwork out the ass. Not exciting at all.
9/13/14 8:59 PM
4/30/03
pm1964 - I am stuck in an endless cycle of class action wage and hour defense. Great money to be made, but paperwork out the ass. Not exciting at all.

For whom do you work?  My firm - Nichols Kaster - is one of the largest collective action firms in the country.

9/17/14 6:58 PM
1/1/01
We're a small firm in Fresno primarily servicing a niche market of agricultural companies. We specialize in ag labor and employment.
9/19/14 12:51 AM
3/3/03
pm1964 - We're a small firm in Fresno primarily servicing a niche market of agricultural companies. We specialize in ag labor and employment.
Have you had dealings or run ins with Monsanto? Phone Post 3.0
9/19/14 1:56 PM
3/3/03

Signing up a client who was crushed between two barges.  Pelvis crushed, back is broken... dunno about paralysis on right leg, left leg is fine.  Dude is a wreck!

9/19/14 6:20 PM
1/1/01
Cookie Monster - 
pm1964 - We're a small firm in Fresno primarily servicing a niche market of agricultural companies. We specialize in ag labor and employment.
Have you had dealings or run ins with Monsanto? Phone Post 3.0

We were representing a company that Monsanto bought. The company had a bunch of very lucrative crop patents, and was engaged in a protracted battle with the UFW. Monsanto bought the company and told us to stand down and let the UFW come in. We said that if that was their stance, we would not represent them, so we fired them as a client.
11/11/14 3:30 PM
3/3/03

I spent wed, thrusday, and friday in a trial regarding the reinstatement of a police officer's license/certificate to be a LEO.  He was accused of domestic battery (which is the kiss of death for a LEO) but the case ended up as a pretrial diversion wherein it will be dismissed upon completion of certain requirements (I don't rep him on the criminal matter).  In the mean time this LEO Committee has a sham of a hearing (no subpeonas, no record, no cross examination allowed... nothing) and decide to revoke his LEO certificate which means he's fucked as a LEO.  That decision is appealed and we had a huge trial in front of a ALJ.  The first day there was 12 hours of trial, the second there was nine, and the third there was nine.  It was pretty grueling.  Opposing counsel was a good guy (tough attorney but extremely civil) and the judge was an excellent judge.  We have to submit proposed findings of fact and conclusions of law.  No decision yet but I feel not too bad about it.