OtherGround Forums 176 killed after commercial plane crash in Tehran

17 days ago
7/27/13

All 176 people on board a flight to the Ukrainian capital Kiev were killed when the plane crashed shortly after takeoff from Tehran's international airport, Iran's Press TV reported.

The Boeing 737 jet, operated by Ukraine International Airlines, took off early Wednesday morning with 167 passengers and nine crew on board, Press TV reported, citing Ali Khashani, a senior public relations official at Imam Khomeini Airport in the Iranian capital.

Earlier reports from Iranian state media had said 180 people were on board Flight PS752.

Eighty-two Iranians, 63 Canadians, and 11 Ukrainians died in the crash, according to a tweet from Ukrainian foreign minister Vadym Prystaiko.

There were also 10 Swedes, four Afghans, three Germans and three British nationals among the victims, he said.

The Ukrainian Embassy in Tehran replaced its previous statement saying terrorism or rocket attacks had been ruled out as causes of the plane crash.

"Information on the causes of the plane crash is being clarified by the commission," it said.

Iran's semi-official news agency ISNA previously reported the crash was due to technical difficulties. Iran's Civil Aviation Authority said it had launched an investigation.

17 days ago
7/27/13

Video of it going down 

Edited: 17 days ago
5/24/17

All these occurrences in a 12 hour window leads me to believe someone is trying to bait .

Rip

17 days ago
8/29/08

63 Canadians,were they people there working in the oilfield or what exactly were they doing there?

12/28/04

Current data looks like it was indeed shot down. It got to 8000ft then stopped all flight data transmissions. That does not happen with normal mechanical failures, AKA " technical difficulties". 

17 days ago
5/30/05

I tend to believe this was an actual accident thst happened during a bad time. There would be no reason for terrorism here imo. 

12/28/04
Cotton - 

I tend to believe this was an actual accident thst happened during a bad time. There would be no reason for terrorism here imo. 

It exploded at 8000ft. I would imagine that it was accidently shot down. 

17 days ago
5/30/05
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -

Current data looks like it was indeed shot down. It got to 8000ft then stopped all flight data transmissions. That does not happen with normal mechanical failures, AKA " technical difficulties". 

Who/why would someone do this?  What is the motive?  Iran or terrorists in their country shot down a plane with 83 of their own citizens aboard in their own country? None of that makes sense. 

17 days ago
1/1/01

Could be coincidence but I’d like to know after investigation.

17 days ago
12/28/04
Cotton - 
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -

Who/why would someone do this?  What is the motive?  Iran or terrorists in their country shot down a plane with 83 of their own citizens aboard in their own country? None of that makes sense. 

I would imagine it was an accident. Not hard to imagine that anti aircraft defenses would be on super high alert and very nervous after they had just attacked the USA. 

17 days ago
5/30/05

I just don't get it at all. Kill almost 100 of their own people to kill Canadians?  

12/28/04
uniquetechnique - 

Could be coincidence but I’d like to know after investigation.

Current data show that something very usual and "catastrophic" occurred at 8000ft. Basically the plane got to 8000 ft and randomly exploded. One thing is for sure it most certainly was NOT engine failure as Iran is currently claiming. 

17 days ago
3/17/14

Not fun to read when you are about 90mins from boarding a plane yourself. 

So if yall hear about a plan crash from Palm Beach Florida to Philadelphia, yall know an OGer is now longer here!

17 days ago
5/30/05

I guess it is possible for it to have been shot down because their system went crazy and/or it was accidentally shot down for whatever reason. It can't be on purpose though imo because thst don't make no sense. 

17 days ago
10/22/14

Odds of this just being a coincidence are literally astronomical. 

17 days ago
10/22/14
Cotton -

I just don't get it at all. Kill almost 100 of their own people to kill Canadians?  

It might not have been Iran. It could have been some terrorist group or even some random extremist who works at the airport who was inspired by Iran's actions.

It was 100% related, the odds are too astronomical for it not to be, but how it's related is yet to be determined. 

17 days ago
12/28/04
Cotton - 

I guess it is possible for it to have been shot down because their system went crazy and/or it was accidentally shot down for whatever reason. It can't be on purpose though imo because thst don't make no sense. 

I can't see it being on purpose. They are now saying engine fire. This again makes no sense. Firstly planes can fly perfectly fine with one engine, secondly they can put out engine fires, and thirdly this still would not explain why the data transmission suddenly stopped. It should have been traced to the ground it was not. 

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/AUI752

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/AUI752/history/20200108/0145Z/OIIE/UKBB/tracklog

17 days ago
5/30/05
Jayn200 -
Cotton -

It might not have been Iran. It could have been some terrorist group or even some random extremist who works at the airport who was inspired by Iran's actions.

It was 100% related, the odds are too astronomical for it not to be, but how it's related is yet to be determined. 

What would be the motive for anyone in Iran doing this on purpose? I cannot think of anything that would make sense. 

17 days ago
7/30/14

I’m no aviation expert but it seems crazy that commercial flights are still operating whilst people are lobbing missiles at each other. Fuck rolling that dice.

17 days ago
10/22/14
Cotton -
Jayn200 -
Cotton -

What would be the motive for anyone in Iran doing this on purpose? I cannot think of anything that would make sense. 

I can't speak to motives. I can only speak to the odds, I haven't done a formal estimation but the odds are likely 1 in the billions or trillions for this incident to happen where it did under the circumstances it did and not be related to the events. 

I think it's much easier to wrap someones head around the idea that Iran or some extremist did this in relation to the events than for it to be a random unrelated event. 

10/22/14
Dragunov -

I’m no aviation expert but it seems crazy that commercial flights are still operating whilst people are lobbing missiles at each other. Fuck rolling that dice.

Yeah I agree, it's insane. I remember looking at the flight radar after FAA announced they aren't letting US airlines into iranian and iraqi air space.

There were still several british and other majori european air lines operating into and out of iran and their airspace. 

17 days ago
3/4/12
Cotton -

Cause Iran has a long history of giving a fuck about their own people...

17 days ago
1/1/01
Richard Cranium -
Cotton -

They were actually 100 Iranian “Suicide Frequent Flyers Club Members” lol

17 days ago
5/30/05
Richard Cranium -
Cotton -

That still provides no motive. 

3/1/09

https://twitter.com/Aviation_NewsTW/status/1214824207508336640

Nationalities of those killed according to this tweet:

Iran - 82

Canada - 63

Ukraine - 2 + 9 (crew)

Sweden - 10

Afghanistan - 4

Germany - 3

United Kingdom - 3

https://twitter.com/VPrystaiko/status/1214821876742213632

The source (Ukrainian Minister of Foreign Affairs)