OtherGround Forums 2 teenage boys shot to death after asking man...

15 days ago
10/25/05

how tall he was while buying candy.

Southside of Chicago.  Can you guess anything else about this?

Two teenage boys were shot to death after asking the suspect how tall he was when they were buying candy from a store.

The incident occurred at approximately 5 p.m. on Saturday June 20 after three teenage boys went to a store in South Chicago to buy some candy and ended up having a brief encounter with 19-year-old Laroy Battle inside the establishment.

“The victims were walking into the store, they saw Battle, he was standing in line while at the store and the victims commented that Battle, he was quite tall, and they asked him how tall he was and hoped to be that tall someday,” said Deputy Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan “Unfortunately, we will never even see the full growth of these poor children.”

The three teenage boys then left the store and proceeded to walk home together when police say that Battle approached them and began shooting. 

Jasean Francis, 17, was shot in the back, chest and left hand. Charles Riley, 16, was shot in the back and left leg. The third teen, who was not identified, managed to escape the gunfire. Both of the boys who were shot were taken to University of Chicago Hospital and later died from the injuries they suffered during the shooting.

“The security cameras from the area were able to show the offender discarding a gun in the garbage can and then Battle was eventually found hiding out in a motel … He was arrested without incident.” Deenihan announced in the press conference.

Police also said that they recovered nine shell casings from the scene of the crime. 

A prayer vigil to honor the two teenagers was held on Friday night near the scene of the shooting.

"He was a kid," said Jasean Francis' aunt Latonya Pettit, according to ABC News’ Chicago station WLS. "Liked video games, snacks. That was his thing. He would walk into this hospital gift shop daily and purchase snacks."

"He was nice to seniors on the block," said another of Francis’ aunts, Keena Hoyle. "The nurses looked forward to him coming over there daily. They brought over to the family roses. They watched him grow up as a child."

Authorities are still trying to understand the motive behind the shootings. 

“There was no altercation,” said Deenihan. “There was nothing that would have set off Battle to be angry at these kids. He is about 6’3”, 6’4”, and they literally just asked him how tall he was because he is extremely tall.”

Battle was denied bond and has been charged with two counts of first degree murder. Police said he had a previous conviction for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, for which he received probation. 

“Justice was very swift in this case because we got help from the community,” Deenihan declared during his public statement to the press. “The offender was identified quickly because the community called the detectives and they told them that was Battle in the video. That is how this case broke. The private security camera footage provided to CPD was incredibly valuable in this case. The fact that detectives can now retrieve this footage quickly and then request the help of the community to identify these [kinds of] offenders is invaluable.”

“This is just one example of how Chicago can help improve the public safety by working together to remove these very dangerous offenders from the streets,” said Deenihan.

15 days ago
5/14/10
Sad. I am glad I don't live in Chicago and I feel sorry for anyone who has no choice but to. RIP little dudes.
15 days ago
1/1/01

Go through due process and if found guilty put a bullet in him

waste of space on this earth 

15 days ago
6/7/08

Tall lives matter.

15 days ago
6/27/09

So the dude that shot them was named Battle?

15 days ago
3/21/12
It's a hard life being 6'3
15 days ago
1/12/18

They were kind and respectful and just wanted some skittles, then asked him how tall he was and he shot them... Dude should be put down, RIP to the kids, but I'm not sure that's the way it went down.

15 days ago
8/27/12

Probably off his meds, but R.I.P to those kids.

15 days ago
2/16/04

""Police said he had a previous conviction for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, for which he received probation."

Wait that can't be. What about the systemic racism that can't wait to lock people of color up?

15 days ago
1/12/10

If that is how it happened that is extremely sad and disturbing. 

What’s more disturbing is that the next hate crime hoax will get more coverage than this. 

15 days ago
1/1/01

Top story on CNN right now. LOl jk it's about a flag.

15 days ago
3/9/08

Kids weren’t taught to pick their Battle’s 

15 days ago
3/20/15

He'll be battle hard in prison....

Edited: 15 days ago
11/9/10

Awful story if true. But a 16-17 year old seeing someone 6’3” isn’t that abnormally tall. Seems like there is more to it. 

11/19/05

ok, I'll be the dickhead here.  

You want me to believe these fine young gentleman went up to a man who was so tall, they had to politley ask him just what heights he reached? In the ghetto of Chicago.....

Then the man, on being so rattled by these sweet kids asking his height, then went on a murderous rampage and killed two of them.  Just cause.....

Nah. This was about disrespect or some such bullshit.  

1/25/04

15 days ago
3/20/15

Laroooooy Baaaaaaatle !!!!!!

It's go time...

15 days ago
12/19/10
Fighting -

You want me to believe these fine young gentleman went up to a man who was so tall, they had to politley ask him just what heights he reached? In the ghetto of Chicago.....

Then the man, on being so rattled by these sweet kids asking his height, then went on a murderous rampage and killed two of them.  Just cause.....

I tend to agree.  I know there are psychopaths in the world but “how tall are you” is now grounds for fighting and shooting?  

I know these kids didnt do anything that warranted murder but I want to know what really happened

15 days ago
3/14/04
Barbasol - 
Fighting -

I tend to agree.  I know there are psychopaths in the world but “how tall are you” is now grounds for fighting and shooting?  

I know these kids didnt do anything that warranted murder but I want to know what really happened

the murderer probably just took it personally.  There is a culture that tends to take anything personally and feels that the only way to correct a perceived disrespect is violence.

15 days ago
12/17/06

There will be no protests or riots. Guarantee that.

No Jesse. No Al. No Nancy. No Chuck. No Joe. No BLM.

They don't give a fuck about black lives when it doesn't suit their narrative.

15 days ago
3/14/04
Altofsky - 

entirely different issue than police brutality but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. 

15 days ago
3/15/06
scourge -

""Police said he had a previous conviction for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, for which he received probation."

Wait that can't be. What about the systemic racism that can't wait to lock people of color up?

It's the opposite, the racist system that the democrats have created is taking dangerous animals and quickly releasing them back into black neighborhoods where they can commit more dangerous crimes on the people trying to survive there.

15 days ago
3/23/06

There has to be more to the story.  Also, the 3rd kid escaped gunfire and hasn’t been identified.  He might hold the answer to what happened. 

15 days ago
5/28/12
angryinch -
Altofsky - 

entirely different issue than police brutality but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. 

It sure is and it’s a MUCH larger issue.

15 days ago
3/20/15
knockoutfighter - 

There has to be more to the story.  Also, the 3rd kid escaped gunfire and hasn’t been identified.  He might hold the answer to what happened. 

Best detective looking for serial killer movies | Sherdog Forums ...