OtherGround Forums $20 to stream new theatrical releases?

6 days ago
1/1/01

Is this $20 a one-off / 24-hour pass kinda deal? Or do you own it / have permanent access?

6 days ago
10/10/05

I use fandango now app. They only have the option to purchase the new movies for $20, which is really not a bad deal at all.  Most other movies are rent for $5 for 48 hours. 

6 days ago
10/10/05
Wiggy -

Is this $20 a one-off / 24-hour pass kinda deal? Or do you own it / have permanent access?

Own.. As in forever. 

6 days ago
1/1/01
Wiggy - 

I think it is just a one time rental

6 days ago
7/2/09

There aren't any (Marvel) movies that I'd consider seeing in theatres right now, but I'm all in.  You can watch movies without having to tolerate poor-mannered strangers.  They can bump the price up to $50 and I'm still in.  I can eat whatever snacks I want, not just a $35 popcorn and soda.  Hell I can eat a steak and seafood for that.  Takeout and a movie.  Boom. 

Movie theatres just became the new horse and buggy.

6 days ago
5/18/12
Al Cappucino -
Bam57Bam -

Pay more to watch at home than at a theater on a gigantic screen. I mean I have a 70" but nothing compares the the theater experience. 

Too much imo. I'd do $15

You go to the movies by yourself?

Sad.

You need people with you to sit in a dark room while staying quiet?

Sad.

6 days ago
6/20/13
Al Cappucino -
Vegito Blue -
Al Cappucino -
Bam57Bam -

Pay more to watch at home than at a theater on a gigantic screen. I mean I have a 70" but nothing compares the the theater experience. 

Too much imo. I'd do $15

Sad.

I do often lol 

I have never in my life been to a movie by myself.....or a restaraunt.....or a Turkish Bathhouse

2 truths and a lie?

6 days ago
7/31/09
Nitecrawler -

Purchased “Onward” for the kids and plan on purchasing the second Troll movie when it comes out. 

I think it’s fantastic and should stay in place after all of this blows over. Going to the movies is usually like $100 affair (~$70 for tickets and another $30 for snacks) so I’m more than willing to drop $20 on this. 

And I just saw the value. If you're not watching it alone its worth it lol. 

20 bucks for me to see a movie early is fucking retarded though and ill never be that desperate. But for 2 or more, absolutely.

6 days ago
2/14/10
Al Cappucino -
Bam57Bam -

Too much imo. I'd do $15

Sad.

How else am I supposed to masturbate effectively?

6 days ago
2/14/10

6 days ago
5/29/18
Bam57Bam -

Too much imo. I'd do $15

But it's 20 for everyone to watch. Not just one person 

6 days ago
9/27/15
Chris - 
Bam57Bam - 

Too much imo. I'd do $15

That's true for just you.

However, ever take yourself, wife, and two kids to the theatre for a new movie? Easily an $80.00 night out.

True but going to the theatre with family or friends is more than just seeing a movie.. It's a night out so to speak for everyone ..but yes, you can expect to pay way too much when all is said and done if you take your kids out

Paying $20 and Pushing the play button at home is just a very different experience.. I think paying $20 for any movie is foolish

6 days ago
9/27/15
Soup and Beer - 

There's nothing playing now where I can't find a better choice on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Pretty much my thoughts too.. The Ben Affleck movie looks good as does the Gentlemen but am I willing to pay $20 to see either? Nope.

Paying $20 really ups my expectations of a movie as well
6 days ago
1/1/01

$20 isn’t bad if you have a family. If you have a nice set up at home, it’s worth it. 

6 days ago
9/27/15
Al Cappucino - 
Bam57Bam -

Too much imo. I'd do $15

Sad.

Lol I don't think there's anything sad about wanting to watch a movie alone.. I prefer watching tv or movies by myself but I've never went to the movie theater by myself.. Strangely, I always viewed it as a social activity of sorts when in actuality, it's not at all..watching a movie with others can actually ruin the experience for me
6 days ago
12/18/08
Al Cappucino -

This is the prelude to wiping out Movie Theaters completely. 

That would suck so bad! I love D Box seats!

6 days ago
9/27/15
The_Pundits_Ghost - 

Quickest way to lose it to the torrent sites, imo. Not very well thought out. 
if they want to do this, theyve gotta do more than 1-off ppv. Consolidation of some movie houses and subscription based. Rival/swamp netflix for big theatrical productions. 
why it’s not happening already is surprising to be honest. 

Yep, the night the various current theatrical releases hit VOD, they were all over the torrent sites.. Beautiful 1080 rips .. I'm curious why movie theaters did the move but I bet they are losing their fucking ass since movie theaters are closed and their movies are not able to turn any profit! It was a desperation move it seems
6 days ago
11/11/11

Very few movies need to be seen in theaters these days with the quality of home tvs most people have, in this bear's opinion

6 days ago
11/14/11
Chris -
Bam57Bam - 

Too much imo. I'd do $15

That's true for just you.

However, ever take yourself, wife, and two kids to the theatre for a new movie? Easily an $80.00 night out.

this    snacks usually come out to the same price as the movie.

one of theatre chains is offering new releases for viewing and buying

6 days ago
1/1/01
ons ear - I'm not sure if this is due to corona virus shutting down the movie theaters but seems we can stream new or current theatrical releases for $20 per movie.. Hmm I have other options but I'm curious, do you think $20 is a good price for this option? Should it be less?do you see yourself paying to watch movies this way?

isnt that more than going to a theater ?

6 days ago
1/1/01

10.00 would be a better price point for consumers i think.

6 days ago
11/10/18
Al Cappucino -
Vegito Blue -
Al Cappucino -
Bam57Bam -

Too much imo. I'd do $15

Sad.

I do often lol 

I have never in my life been to a movie by myself.....or a restaraunt.....or a Turkish Bathhouse

You sound codependent. 

6 days ago
10/22/14

When I opened this I thought it was going to be $20 per month not per movie. Per movie that's insane. No way I would do that, rather just wait 2 months till I can torrent it.

6 days ago
6/10/08

worth it when I can smack the face of people talking.... in my home.

6 days ago
7/13/09
Bam57Bam -

Too much imo. I'd do $15

Maybe if you go alone that's a true statement.   A family of 4 can easily top $40 just on tickets let alone snacks and drinks.