OtherGround Forums $20 to stream new theatrical releases?

6 days ago
10/16/13
psychosphere - Now if I could just get one of those butter dispensers installed

“Golden topping”???

6 days ago
7/13/09

I hope this becomes the norm. I have a theater at home.  Last movie I went to In the theater was The Last Skywalker and I had a couple behind me who brought a newborn to the movie who wouldnt stop crying.  

6 days ago
9/29/13
Vegito Blue -

Where?

This is what i've always wanted.  As much as i love seeing movies, i hate the movie theater experience.  Black people and young kids always ruin the experience they don't ever shut the fuck up 

This.  Every single time

6 days ago
10/16/13
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
ons ear - I'm not sure if this is due to corona virus shutting down the movie theaters but seems we can stream new or current theatrical releases for $20 per movie.. Hmm I have other options but I'm curious, do you think $20 is a good price for this option? Should it be less?do you see yourself paying to watch movies this way?

isnt that more than going to a theater ?

As others have said it’s only more if you’re going alone and not having any snacks.  

I’d do $20 if it’s a 24 hour rental and I can rewatch as I’m an old man who falls asleep on the couch a lot. Ha

6 days ago
10/22/14
Burt Macklin FBI -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
ons ear - I'm not sure if this is due to corona virus shutting down the movie theaters but seems we can stream new or current theatrical releases for $20 per movie.. Hmm I have other options but I'm curious, do you think $20 is a good price for this option? Should it be less?do you see yourself paying to watch movies this way?

As others have said it’s only more if you’re going alone and not having any snacks.  

I’d do $20 if it’s a 24 hour rental and I can rewatch as I’m an old man who falls asleep on the couch a lot. Ha

How can you count food? I would assume those same people will spend the same money on food delivery.

6 days ago
11/14/11
Jayn200 -
Burt Macklin FBI -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -

How can you count food? I would assume those same people will spend the same money on food delivery.

not counting food they are just counting the snacks. 

6 days ago
7/13/09
Jayn200 -
Burt Macklin FBI -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -

Because a box of Junior mints at the theater is $3 and you can get them for a dollar at Walmart.  Popcorn is almost 5x the price for what you make at home.   It all adds up.  

6 days ago
11/29/11
Vegito Blue -
Vegito Blue -

Where?

This is what i've always wanted.  As much as i love seeing movies, i hate the movie theater experience.  Black people and young kids always ruin the experience they don't ever shut the fuck up 

The second time i saw the newest Star Wars movie i sat next to a black couple, probably in their 30's.  I shit you not they had full on conversations during the entire movie.  And since they're black everyone is too scared to tell the to shut the fuck up....  me included i don't mess with black people lol its a lose lose situation if we're being honest

And the 6th and final time i saw Avengers Endgame, yeah that's right SIXTH time, some oldhead fell asleep and was snoring for about an hour of it.  So damn annoying

So yes i would love to buy new movies at home and i WOULD pay extra to do this 

When I was a kid my dad told a bunch of blacks to shut the fuck up in a movie once. I think it was American pie 2. 

And I also fell asleep in the theaters to te first Avengers 

6 days ago
4/24/07
ons ear - I'm not sure if this is due to corona virus shutting down the movie theaters but seems we can stream new or current theatrical releases for $20 per movie.. Hmm I have other options but I'm curious, do you think $20 is a good price for this option? Should it be less?do you see yourself paying to watch movies this way?

You have to remember you're not just paying for the movie when you go to a theater. You're paying for the experience whether you know it or not. Your paying to have your feet stick to the floors and people be loud. Your paying for people to scream and scary shit and make the experience better for you. When something is funny, a room full of people laughing about the same thing is all part of it. Your even paying so you can be over charged for popcorn. We all know the shit is expensive yet we all buy it anyhow because it's the experience we chase not the movie. 

To pay $20 for a one time screaning of a movie and not own it at home is silly imo. People will just turn to pirating. You would have to offer something like ownership for it to be a deal worth pursing. That means Hollywood would need to take a drastic pay cut as well. You can't replace A with B if they're not some what equal or people will buck. You might as well just release them straight to blu-ray at that point and make the extra $5-10 off the physical copy, then try to sell it twice using the same experience. The movies are never as good at home unless you have a crazy setup. So they're really marketing this idea to a very small sub category of people. 

Now if they stream the movies for like $5-10, then there is a large enough difference that you can sell the movie twice because there is incentive to purchase it(The physical copy). Nobody is going to spend $20 on a stream then 4 months later $25 to own it. Not to mention now that the theater experience is gone, so is the overhead of the prices. We paid for A/C, electricity, bathrooms, etc all in that $20 ticket we buy. There is no justification for a $20 one time stream of a new movie. 

The only other way I see this working is streaming it with less. Offer more on the backend with the physical copy. Maybe these streams only happen at 480P and you would need to purchase the full movie to get 720,1080 or 4k. 4 months and a $5 difference in price isn't enough for someone to buy a movie twice which is the goal. It doesn't actually benefit us in anyway, I just like this type of problem solving. 

Anyways they will need to re-think this. 

6 days ago
11/5/03
ons ear -
The_Pundits_Ghost - 

Quickest way to lose it to the torrent sites, imo. Not very well thought out. 
if they want to do this, theyve gotta do more than 1-off ppv. Consolidation of some movie houses and subscription based. Rival/swamp netflix for big theatrical productions. 
why it’s not happening already is surprising to be honest. 

Yep, the night the various current theatrical releases hit VOD, they were all over the torrent sites.. Beautiful 1080 rips .. I'm curious why movie theaters did the move but I bet they are losing their fucking ass since movie theaters are closed and their movies are not able to turn any profit! It was a desperation move it seems

They sure were.

6 days ago
6/30/07
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Quickest way to lose it to the torrent sites, imo. Not very well thought out. 
if they want to do this, theyve gotta do more than 1-off ppv. Consolidation of some movie houses and subscription based. Rival/swamp netflix for big theatrical productions. 
why it’s not happening already is surprising to be honest. 

My first thought was that there will be perfect copies on all the sites much sooner than normal lol.

6 days ago
7/11/11

I’ve wished for this exact thing for years. I’d much rather watch them at my house with the kegerator flowing and no boneheads snickering,chomping,phones ringing,and all that bullshit. 20 isn’t bad at all considering most people are paying for two tickets at least. 

6 days ago
8/17/08

it will never make enough money at $20 to justify movies like avengers etc...  small budget yes.  BUt I doubt this can become a sustainable model for the top movies.  

6 days ago
1/1/01
Jayn200 -

When I opened this I thought it was going to be $20 per month not per movie. Per movie that's insane. No way I would do that, rather just wait 2 months till I can torrent it.

Because of this you'd be waiting 2 hours actually. 

5 days ago
9/27/15
Check my torrent site today and another wave of theatrical releases have been released! 1080 rips.. It's perfect for the quarantine..
5 days ago
1/1/01
David@accu - 
ons ear - I'm not sure if this is due to corona virus shutting down the movie theaters but seems we can stream new or current theatrical releases for $20 per movie.. Hmm I have other options but I'm curious, do you think $20 is a good price for this option? Should it be less?do you see yourself paying to watch movies this way?

You have to remember you're not just paying for the movie when you go to a theater. You're paying for the experience whether you know it or not. Your paying to have your feet stick to the floors and people be loud. Your paying for people to scream and scary shit and make the experience better for you. When something is funny, a room full of people laughing about the same thing is all part of it. Your even paying so you can be over charged for popcorn. We all know the shit is expensive yet we all buy it anyhow because it's the experience we chase not the movie. 

To pay $20 for a one time screaning of a movie and not own it at home is silly imo. People will just turn to pirating. You would have to offer something like ownership for it to be a deal worth pursing. That means Hollywood would need to take a drastic pay cut as well. You can't replace A with B if they're not some what equal or people will buck. You might as well just release them straight to blu-ray at that point and make the extra $5-10 off the physical copy, then try to sell it twice using the same experience. The movies are never as good at home unless you have a crazy setup. So they're really marketing this idea to a very small sub category of people. 

Now if they stream the movies for like $5-10, then there is a large enough difference that you can sell the movie twice because there is incentive to purchase it(The physical copy). Nobody is going to spend $20 on a stream then 4 months later $25 to own it. Not to mention now that the theater experience is gone, so is the overhead of the prices. We paid for A/C, electricity, bathrooms, etc all in that $20 ticket we buy. There is no justification for a $20 one time stream of a new movie. 

The only other way I see this working is streaming it with less. Offer more on the backend with the physical copy. Maybe these streams only happen at 480P and you would need to purchase the full movie to get 720,1080 or 4k. 4 months and a $5 difference in price isn't enough for someone to buy a movie twice which is the goal. It doesn't actually benefit us in anyway, I just like this type of problem solving. 

Anyways they will need to re-think this. 

Exactly. The theatrical experience, especially with mega-event movies like Endgame, is akin to going to a live-event. That's the appeal. It's not just the actual movie itself.
Edited: 5 days ago
7/7/10

If you have the space, buying a home projector and a somewhat decent sound system can go very far. Especially if you are into movies. The only advantage a theatre has is the luxury of having the movies first and having an audience to experience with. 

5 days ago
10/10/05

The $20 movies are to buy, not rent. You own them & can watch whenever you want through the app or service you used (ex. Fandango).