OtherGround Forums 2019-20 NHL season thread

10/9/19 12:35 AM
1/1/01
knockoutfighter - 

NHL is so hard to predict these days.  I remember the Vegas days I would throw down a parlay on Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Anaheim, and win daily!  

I have no clue who will win this season.

ah, the good old days before the salary cap.
10/9/19 3:37 AM
5/7/08

Nichushkin was a fucking monster in juniors, so weird how bad he sucks in the show

10/9/19 3:50 AM
4/6/19
Wayne Glamcock -

is marleau done?

bought out by Carolina for $6M and picked up by SJ for $700k I heard 

10/9/19 9:05 AM
11/11/11

SJ has looked horrible, but worry not Sharks fans Marleau to the rescue!!!!

This has to be a pity signing. Wilson is a very smart GM and he knows what everyone knows, that Marleau is done. A career floater who at least scored, can't score anymore. All he is going to do is take a roster spot that should be saved for a developing player. Or a pylon.

10/9/19 9:24 AM
10/15/13
Rhymenoceros - Speaking of fuckups, how many games will Nichushkin (Colorado) go before he scores a goal or gets called for a penalty?

Last year he went 57 games (every game he played) without a goal or a penalty, which broke the previous NHL record by like 20 games.

This year he's two games in without a goal or a penalty, which puts his streak at 59 games, but I haven't gone back to 2015-16 to see when the last time he scored or took a penalty was.

At some point he'll score or get kicked out of the league. I put the over / under at 70 total games before Colorado waives him or he breaks the streak. Anyone else want to make a prediction?

What in the hell is his purpose then?

He averages 12 minutes of ice time per game. Last year he had 65 total shots, in 57 games. 

By far THE most uselss player on any team. 

10/9/19 9:43 AM
2/19/18

Nichushkin vs Tobias Rieder. Which sniper will score first?

10/9/19 1:18 PM
6/22/09

Watching Doughty and Tkachuk go tit for tat last night was pretty cool.

Tkachuck 2G 1A

Doughty 1G 2A

But Dought got the last laugh with the OT winner and the giving the boo birds the Hulksters “I can’t hear you” was pretty funny.

10/9/19 2:01 PM
8/1/07
Taco Muncher -
knockoutfighter -

NHL is so hard to predict these days.  I remember the Vegas days I would throw down a parlay on Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Anaheim, and win daily!  

Not the Senators!!

C'mon man...is that necessary?  We know it going to be a long season :(

10/9/19 2:04 PM
6/9/16
TeamRenzo -
Taco Muncher -
knockoutfighter -

Not the Senators!!

C'mon man...is that necessary?  We know it going to be a long season :(

But the Sens should be a contender by 2022 with all those draft picks. Unless the botch it badly like the Oilers. 

10/9/19 2:19 PM
7/1/15

In.  I can finally watch Hockey again now that Ken Holland is gone and Steve mother fucking Yzerman is our GM.  I stopped watching the Wings years ago and told myself i would not watch again till Holland was gone.  Now that day is upon me!!!!!!!

10/9/19 2:19 PM
7/1/15

Bend the knee 

10/9/19 3:46 PM
9/13/12
Vegito Blue -

In.  I can finally watch Hockey again now that Ken Holland is gone and Steve mother fucking Yzerman is our GM.  I stopped watching the Wings years ago and told myself i would not watch again till Holland was gone.  Now that day is upon me!!!!!!!

Apparently Holland knew he was doing a shit job, but the owner forced him into keeping the playoff streak alive for as long as he could.  

10/9/19 7:19 PM
3/23/06

La Kings vs Calgary had a good scrap with Lucic and McDermend

10/9/19 7:20 PM
3/23/06
Vegito Blue -

Tough loss last night.  Detroit top line is off to a hellava start.

10/9/19 11:02 PM
6/9/16

First NHL shutout for Carter Hart. 25 saves.

Flyers 4, Devils 0

10/9/19 11:06 PM
6/22/09

10/9/19 11:13 PM
6/22/09

Also, cool tribute vid for Wayne Train during the first commercial.  He got a standing O....and then they booed him when he touched the puck, lol

10/9/19 11:13 PM
1/25/07
GOKUJITSU -
Vegito Blue -

Apparently Holland knew he was doing a shit job, but the owner forced him into keeping the playoff streak alive for as long as he could.  

I feel like Holland has already given the Oilers a chance this season. I get that the Neal trade fell into his lap but Holland created more competition this training camp this year than the Oilers have had in the last several seasons.

10/9/19 11:43 PM
7/1/15
GOKUJITSU -
Vegito Blue -

I’ve heard that before. Shameful if true 

10/9/19 11:43 PM
7/1/15
knockoutfighter -
Vegito Blue -

Tough loss last night.  Detroit top line is off to a hellava start.

I’m going to be patient and not get overly excited for the team yet. It’s going to be a process 

10/10/19 9:56 AM
1/1/01
I've wanted to like hockey for a long time, but I know NOTHING about it.

I've been to a couple Hurricanes games (I live in NC) a number of years back and I gotta say - it was a SHITLOAD of fun.

Problem is that I know almost nothing about hockey and have no idea what I'm looking at, what the rules are, strategies, etc.

Does anyone have a decent site / video / whatever (I'll look on youtube, but wanted to ask here, first) that explains the basics?

I'm thinking of watching this season since it just started. Was even thinking of giving a month of NHL TV a shot since it's only like $25. Would probably just mainly watch the Hurricanes games, then pick other games here & there, too.
10/10/19 6:13 PM
5/7/08
Wiggy - I've wanted to like hockey for a long time, but I know NOTHING about it.

I've been to a couple Hurricanes games (I live in NC) a number of years back and I gotta say - it was a SHITLOAD of fun.

Problem is that I know almost nothing about hockey and have no idea what I'm looking at, what the rules are, strategies, etc.

Does anyone have a decent site / video / whatever (I'll look on youtube, but wanted to ask here, first) that explains the basics?

I'm thinking of watching this season since it just started. Was even thinking of giving a month of NHL TV a shot since it's only like $25. Would probably just mainly watch the Hurricanes games, then pick other games here & there, too.

Beware of local blackouts on any NHL package. The Hurricanes are a fun team to watch this year, you'll be in for a treat. You'll pick up the basics by watching. Halfway through the season, look up a game from the 90s on Youtube for a comparison of just how fast the game is these days.

10/10/19 6:16 PM
9/18/12

Oilers looking good! Can't wait to see how they do against a good team tonight in Jersey, even though they haven't won yet.

10/10/19 6:20 PM
1/1/01
MayorPirkle - 
Wiggy - I've wanted to like hockey for a long time, but I know NOTHING about it.

Beware of local blackouts on any NHL package. The Hurricanes are a fun team to watch this year, you'll be in for a treat. You'll pick up the basics by watching. Halfway through the season, look up a game from the 90s on Youtube for a comparison of just how fast the game is these days.

Yeah, the late '90s ('98-'99) are when I went to games. I watched the Canes / Panthers highlight video on the NHL youtube last night and HOLY SHIT...what action.

(And that goal tender for Carolina...wow!)

Dumb blackout question:

If a game is subject to blackout due to being shown locally, I know I can't watch it live.

But does that mean I can't go back & watch it via on demand later?
10/10/19 8:34 PM
5/7/08
Wiggy -
MayorPirkle - 

Yeah, the late '90s ('98-'99) are when I went to games. I watched the Canes / Panthers highlight video on the NHL youtube last night and HOLY SHIT...what action.

(And that goal tender for Carolina...wow!)

Dumb blackout question:

If a game is subject to blackout due to being shown locally, I know I can't watch it live.

But does that mean I can't go back & watch it via on demand later?

Not sure what service you're using. On NHL Gamecenter I don't believe so, perhaps others are different. I'm not too familar, I used Gamecenter to watch out of market games.

Do the Canes not have a local TV deal?