OtherGround Forums 2020 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs thread

8/19/20 2:22 PM
3/16/11
billyzane - I hope after Calgary loses on Thursday they blow this core up and fire The GM and interm coach. Hire Gallant, Trade Johnny G for some prospects or picks and then use the cap space to sign Hall. Give Tkachuk the C and let Gio play out his contract on the second or third pairing and retire or go to Seattle.

As an Oilers fan, I agree with your plan, but I’m missing the logic on the Gio comment. He was the best Defense men in the entire league last year. Did he fall off a cliff this year? I haven’t followed closely, but how do you think he ought to be second or third pairing after winning the Norris last year?

8/19/20 2:33 PM
10/18/14
jman -

Blues -150 favorites tonight in Vegas

Makes sense, they have all the momentum. If the Canucks lose tonight its all over for them IMO. Its been a great series up to this point. The Blues have been all over the Nucks for the past 2 games at 5on5, gotta find a way to create more offense

8/19/20 2:41 PM
1/5/11
MayorPirkle -
knockoutfighter -
MayorPirkle -
WendyIDMT -

Is there a more unlikeable group of players than the Bruins.  I mean, they play in Boston with the most insufferable fans but damn, they all seem like smarmy cocksuckers.  Moreso than the Black Cocks in their hey day.

Nobody exemplified this better than Nathan Horton. The guy was hyped big in Florida as a real talent, never did fuck all with it because he was softer than butter in July, and then seemed to grow 8 inches and think he was a tough guy when he joined Boston and had Lucic and Chara backing him up. Nathan Horton is the number 1 all time most punchable face in the league.

Naw... Horton was tough! And he definitely could scrap.  and if he didn’t get KO’d from that open ice check in the 2011 playoffs, Boston might not have rallied and won that epic game 7!

And imo, Bergeron is one of the best two way players in the league, year after year.  Boston has scouted some of the best talent to come into the league in the past decade.  They have shitty broadcasters and ownership but the team is awesome!  I get why people don’t like Marchand but he is one of a kind.  Dude is 5’7 and plays like he’s 6’4.  Boston is talented.  Just like Chicago they have been Cup contenders for a DECADE by keeping the top core team leaders.  

Horton was an absolute little bitch. Marchand also plays like a little bitch, he's very good but he certainly doesn't play like he's 6'4, come on man lol he's a skill player who creates off the rush and is easily pushed off the puck. He's an agitator but he folds to a real physical game. He's the opposite of Brendan Gallagher who doesn't have near his skill and sucks at creating plays, but grinds it out physically.

How easy is he to shake off the puck exactly?

Not very easy. Not at all. Crap assessment. He takes the outside corner on D ALL THE TIME, and he still gets his plays off.

You might not like him, but don't be blind and dismiss him as anything other than league elite.

8/19/20 2:46 PM
12/4/06
Pilgor the goat - 
billyzane - I hope after Calgary loses on Thursday they blow this core up and fire The GM and interm coach. Hire Gallant, Trade Johnny G for some prospects or picks and then use the cap space to sign Hall. Give Tkachuk the C and let Gio play out his contract on the second or third pairing and retire or go to Seattle.

As an Oilers fan, I agree with your plan, but I’m missing the logic on the Gio comment. He was the best Defense men in the entire league last year. Did he fall off a cliff this year? I haven’t followed closely, but how do you think he ought to be second or third pairing after winning the Norris last year?

Ya the drop off has been pretty brutal this year...he's been their worst d man in the post season by far. Looks old and tired...making lots of mistakes and has been taking penalties at the worst times.

He's never been a great leader in my opinion. I think its time to pass the torch on. Flames need some emotion and the will to win this time of year.
8/19/20 3:03 PM
7/28/10
akbar87 -
Jason Watts -

Boston VS philly is gonna be a hell of a series 

if philly wins and the islanders win they would play 

I dont think it matter who the Flyers Play, thier team D is fantastic, but they need to start getting scoring from the top line. IF they dont start scoring more, it will be hard to advance, but Hart has been fantastic. 

8/19/20 3:14 PM
1/1/01
DT_MMA - 
jman -

Blues -150 favorites tonight in Vegas

Makes sense, they have all the momentum. If the Canucks lose tonight its all over for them IMO. Its been a great series up to this point. The Blues have been all over the Nucks for the past 2 games at 5on5, gotta find a way to create more offense

Biggest surprise for me last game with the Blues crushing the Power Plays and the Canucks not being able to score.

Tonight should be another good one.

8/19/20 3:17 PM
1/13/04
Graduate1 - 

Av's will take this imo. They have been amazing over the last few years and are only getting better each year..

5:30 will be another ass wiping. Av's baby..

Edited: 8/19/20 3:32 PM
5/7/08
choadler -
MayorPirkle -
knockoutfighter -
MayorPirkle -
WendyIDMT -

Is there a more unlikeable group of players than the Bruins.  I mean, they play in Boston with the most insufferable fans but damn, they all seem like smarmy cocksuckers.  Moreso than the Black Cocks in their hey day.

Nobody exemplified this better than Nathan Horton. The guy was hyped big in Florida as a real talent, never did fuck all with it because he was softer than butter in July, and then seemed to grow 8 inches and think he was a tough guy when he joined Boston and had Lucic and Chara backing him up. Nathan Horton is the number 1 all time most punchable face in the league.

Naw... Horton was tough! And he definitely could scrap.  and if he didn’t get KO’d from that open ice check in the 2011 playoffs, Boston might not have rallied and won that epic game 7!

And imo, Bergeron is one of the best two way players in the league, year after year.  Boston has scouted some of the best talent to come into the league in the past decade.  They have shitty broadcasters and ownership but the team is awesome!  I get why people don’t like Marchand but he is one of a kind.  Dude is 5’7 and plays like he’s 6’4.  Boston is talented.  Just like Chicago they have been Cup contenders for a DECADE by keeping the top core team leaders.  

Horton was an absolute little bitch. Marchand also plays like a little bitch, he's very good but he certainly doesn't play like he's 6'4, come on man lol he's a skill player who creates off the rush and is easily pushed off the puck. He's an agitator but he folds to a real physical game. He's the opposite of Brendan Gallagher who doesn't have near his skill and sucks at creating plays, but grinds it out physically.

How easy is he to shake off the puck exactly?

Not very easy. Not at all. Crap assessment. He takes the outside corner on D ALL THE TIME, and he still gets his plays off.

You might not like him, but don't be blind and dismiss him as anything other than league elite.

I didn't say he wasn't elite. I said he created his plays off the rush, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. He's not good down low in a cycle game, he battles hard but he's small and is easy to push off the puck. When he carries into the zone and can attack the D with speed, he's one of the best in the league. But he sure doesn't play like he's 6'4, that's not his game at all.

8/19/20 3:32 PM
4/18/01
decasere - 
akbar87 -
Jason Watts -

Boston VS philly is gonna be a hell of a series 

if philly wins and the islanders win they would play 

I dont think it matter who the Flyers Play, thier team D is fantastic, but they need to start getting scoring from the top line. IF they dont start scoring more, it will be hard to advance, but Hart has been fantastic. 

Yeah I think the Flyers are my pick to take it. This will be a fun series.
Edited: 8/19/20 6:20 PM
1/5/11

The little ball of hate is awesome. Plays plenty big enough.

8/19/20 6:46 PM
6/7/05
Focking Canes just looked anemic the whole series. Kind of hard to say what even went wrong, it's a team designed to play with high energy that couldn't keep the energy up despite tons of rest.
8/19/20 11:24 PM
1/1/01

Great first period and rsponse by the Blues after giving up that first goal. 

8/20/20 12:15 AM
2/25/15

Tyler Fucking Motte!

8/20/20 12:17 AM
2/25/15

Are you fucking kidding me? What a period by the Canucks! 

8/20/20 1:10 AM
3/23/06

Wtf Blues let that game go

8/20/20 1:11 AM
3/23/06
choadler -

The little ball of hate is awesome. Plays plenty big enough.

I love how he embraces the agitator role.   Look how angry he makes the fans, can’t imagine playing against him.  Tough little fucker he is! 

Edited: 8/20/20 1:18 AM
1/1/01

Nice comeback, Blues looked out of it after that onslaught of 3 goals.. Interesting game on Friday to see the youth/skill vs experience/brawn. 

8/20/20 1:18 AM
12/18/15
RosieODonnellsQueef -

Are you fucking kidding me? What a period by the Canucks! 

Markstrom stood on his head in that period. Unbelievable performance by the canucks!!! 

8/20/20 1:18 AM
2/25/15

8/20/20 7:50 PM
6/22/09

Shit got chippy last night.

Gallagher out with a broken jaw, Niskanen definitely getting suspended for that one.

8/20/20 7:52 PM
5/7/08

I love Niskanen, he's so underrated but that shit was gross, you can see him think about it for a good 2 seconds. Not accidental in the slightest

8/20/20 8:02 PM
6/22/09
MayorPirkle -

I love Niskanen, he's so underrated but that shit was gross, you can see him think about it for a good 2 seconds. Not accidental in the slightest

Yup, dumb and no defending it.

8/20/20 11:41 PM
4/6/19

Wilson being his usual piece of shit self with the elbow after the pucks in the net 

8/20/20 11:44 PM
4/6/19

flamers giving up the 3-0 lead 

8/20/20 11:50 PM
6/22/09

Maybe Lucic should try staying out of the box.