OtherGround Forums 2020 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs thread

8/27/20 6:48 PM
5/7/08

I'm so fucking sick of this shit, hearing the sports anchors on all these shows adopt their solemn, serious voice is cracking me up. Fuck the world we live in

8/27/20 6:49 PM
10/18/14

This extra 2 days off is actually going to benefit the Canucks I think. Just finished a hard fought series vs the Blues and then right back at it vs Vegas. Those guys have been blocking shots like crazy and I know for sure Horvat has been banged up since the last series. 

Hopefully they resume play Saturday though 

8/27/20 6:50 PM
6/22/09

Would've liked to ride OT victory momentum into Game 3 during a back-to-back....oh well.

2020 gonna 2020

8/27/20 6:53 PM
6/22/03

/thread

8/27/20 6:59 PM
11/30/07

Nhl has been overtaken by sjws. Should have known with the “hockey is for everyone” campaign. 

8/27/20 6:59 PM
9/5/12

I fail to see what postponing the games will solve. And to think, I was proud that the NHL was staying away from all this.

8/27/20 8:47 PM
3/20/15
RJJH - 

mainstream sports are dead to me now. I gave them another chance after the covid restart...not gonna go back a third time.

infested with SJW bullshit like "inclusion" and "feelings".

dont want the cops to bother you or at worst end your life?

Stop Breaking The Law GIFs | Tenor

VU'd

Edited: 8/27/20 11:28 PM
3/2/11
MayorPirkle -

I'm so fucking sick of this shit, hearing the sports anchors on all these shows adopt their solemn, serious voice is cracking me up. Fuck the world we live in

Ben Maller on Foxsports is the only one not sucking SJW dick as well as a couple I never get to hear.

A shame he's on so late on the east coast.

8/27/20 11:31 PM
3/2/11
Ryann Von Doom -

Nhl has been overtaken by sjws. Should have known with the “hockey is for everyone” campaign. 

Evil Fascist Adolf Don Cherry was holding poor Rotten Ronnie Cucklean hostage all these years with his bigot puck hockey views.

Now Rotten Ronnie can bring the NHL to all those low income children in soccer and basketball hotbeds dying to lace up!

8/27/20 11:34 PM
3/23/06

They are only taking 2 days off.  For some reason the NHL follows what the NBA does, historically.  But we will be back Saturday.  Fuck politics in sports! 

8/27/20 11:34 PM
11/11/11
DT_MMA -

This extra 2 days off is actually going to benefit the Canucks I think. Just finished a hard fought series vs the Blues and then right back at it vs Vegas. Those guys have been blocking shots like crazy and I know for sure Horvat has been banged up since the last series. 

Hopefully they resume play Saturday though 

The Canucks played an incredible game 2. They are legit and I would really love to see them against the Avs in the Conference final. And I generally hate the Canucks, for so long I don't even remember why, but I am impressed.

8/28/20 12:39 AM
11/19/06
RhinoHog - 
RJJH - 

mainstream sports are dead to me now. I gave them another chance after the covid restart...not gonna go back a third time.

infested with SJW bullshit like "inclusion" and "feelings".

dont want the cops to bother you or at worst end your life?

Stop Breaking The Law GIFs | Tenor

VU'd

Doubled

8/29/20 7:20 PM
3/23/06

and we're back! live on NBCSN. next up is Vegas vs Vancouver
8/29/20 10:15 PM
3/23/06

Vegas vs Vancouver live right now.  Vegas is up 2-0 early in the 1st period.

8/30/20 10:19 AM
10/10/05

I barely even notice there are no fans at these games. It's also kind of better for TV viewing without the safety nets & disgruntled home fans throwing trash on the ice at the end of games. 

8/30/20 10:34 AM
5/7/08

I'm so disgusted by all this BLM social justice shit, I can't wait for them to shut the fuck up about it and just get back to hockey. I've always been to say "just ignore it and don't let it affect you" but it's gotten way too far. It's all they're talking about anymore, no game analysis, no cool stories, just a bunch of asshat analysts putting on their serious, sombre voice and fellating social justice nonsense. Shut the fuck up and play hockey already

8/30/20 6:31 PM
7/8/14

Holy Hell I checked the Stars and Avs score as I was gonna head home and watch it and 3-0 early in the first, Stars are out for blood

8/30/20 6:48 PM
3/23/06

3 games on today! Dallas vs Colorado is live now. 2 more later tonight
8/30/20 6:49 PM
3/23/06
Otis the Drunk -

Holy Hell I checked the Stars and Avs score as I was gonna head home and watch it and 3-0 early in the first, Stars are out for blood

They are looking great! 

8/30/20 8:01 PM
10/5/11

Huge third period coming up. Stars just received two penalties on the same play putting two guys in the box. Avs score like 10 seconds later. Let's go STARS!! 

8/30/20 8:05 PM
10/5/11
MayorPirkle -

I'm so disgusted by all this BLM social justice shit, I can't wait for them to shut the fuck up about it and just get back to hockey. I've always been to say "just ignore it and don't let it affect you" but it's gotten way too far. It's all they're talking about anymore, no game analysis, no cool stories, just a bunch of asshat analysts putting on their serious, sombre voice and fellating social justice nonsense. Shut the fuck up and play hockey already

Voted the fuck up! Is all of this paid for like advertising? I heard blm got a ton of money recently. Wouldn't be surprised if all this social training is paid for. 

8/30/20 8:10 PM
3/23/06
MayorPirkle -

Agreed.  I saw it yesterday and immediately switched channels until the game started.  I do the same thing at intermission.  I refuse to watch any of it. The NHL took criticism for not doing enough so now they are OD’ing on BLM.   And historically whatever the NBA does, the NHL follows.  iirc this entire playoffs the NHL was pushing “we skate for #blacklives”, but yesterday was the first time I saw #blacklivesMATTER.   But just skip all the BS in between puck play.  The way I see it is if you are upset, they succeeded.  The media and politicians clearly want everyone mad and fighting with one another over everything.

8/30/20 8:11 PM
3/23/06
Thai Dye -

Huge third period coming up. Stars just received two penalties on the same play putting two guys in the box. Avs score like 10 seconds later. Let's go STARS!! 

LETS GO STARS!!!!

Edited: 8/30/20 8:34 PM
11/11/11

I absolutely support the BLM movement but I agree it's getting way too much coverage in actual sports broadcasts, specifically the NHL playoffs.

The majority of us tune in to watch a game, not get talked down to or hear about all the steps the NHL is doing to promote diversity in the sport. Fine, do it. I'm all for it. Just don't force feed the message that you're doing it to fans in a way (and timing) that suggests they are more interested in getting credit for their "awakening" and going with the flow of what's happening broadly these days.

There has been race issues in hockey going back before the first black player ever stepped into an NHL arena. It is still a huge issue in minor hockey. I played with black teammates as a kid and into my teens. There were racial slurs from parents, kids, even coaches. In the city, (much more) in small towns, everywhere.

Everyone in the sport knows it, but only after the NBA gets serious does the NHL act like this is some new thing they must address. Bullshit. They're just putting on an act in the moment and it'll be forgotten about weeks from now.

Sorry, rant went on a little longer than I expected.

8/30/20 8:59 PM
5/7/08
kevsh -

I absolutely support the BLM movement but I agree it's getting way too much coverage in actual sports broadcasts, specifically the NHL playoffs.

The majority of us tune in to watch a game, not get talked down to or hear about all the steps the NHL is doing to promote diversity in the sport. Fine, do it. I'm all for it. Just don't force feed the message that you're doing it to fans in a way (and timing) that suggests they are more interested in getting credit for their "awakening" and going with the flow of what's happening broadly these days.

There has been race issues in hockey going back before the first black player ever stepped into an NHL arena. It is still a huge issue in minor hockey. I played with black teammates as a kid and into my teens. There were racial slurs from parents, kids, even coaches. In the city, (much more) in small towns, everywhere.

Everyone in the sport knows it, but only after the NBA gets serious does the NHL act like this is some new thing they must address. Bullshit. They're just putting on an act in the moment and it'll be forgotten about weeks from now.

Sorry, rant went on a little longer than I expected.

You're right. When I was younger there was a kid on my team who was black, he and I dominated the league. The other parents hated us and it was non stop comments, I was the English kid and he was the black kid. Nobody even bothered to learn his name. Shame, he was a great player and a great kid. I supported Aliu in his speaking out about Peters and Downie, those were real issues. This "justice for Jacob Blake" and narrative about "police brutality" and hunting down of innocent black people is too much for me, and it's the way it's being done that irks the fuck out of me. They all have their funeral voice at full blast and it's just too much