OtherGround Forums 2020 USA Flu Deaths 16K Coronavirus Deaths=9

2/26/20 9:50 PM
7/26/12

Trump junior has spoken. 

2/26/20 9:51 PM
2/2/12

Ah yes Comicon, showing why he's the resident idiot on the Daily.

2/26/20 9:52 PM
1/1/01

The issue isn't the mortality rate.  It's the fact that it spreads 3 to 5 times faster than the flu and 20% of the cases are critical.  Our hospitals can not handle that.

Also, the bigger issue is the supply chains being cut.  Not just out of china, but as cities go into quarantine everything mostly shuts down.

Stores and food supplies are being raided dry in Italy.  If it gets that bad here and you are caught flat footed, then the virus i the least of your concerns.  At least get a good supply of canned goods and water.

2/26/20 9:58 PM
8/2/19
Soup and Beer -

The issue isn't the mortality rate.  It's the fact that it spreads 3 to 5 times faster than the flu and 20% of the cases are critical.  Our hospitals can not handle that.

Also, the bigger issue is the supply chains being cut.  Not just out of china, but as cities go into quarantine everything mostly shuts down.

Stores and food supplies are being raided dry in Italy.  If it gets that bad here and you are caught flat footed, then the virus i the least of your concerns.  At least get a good supply of canned goods and water.

You bring up good points but please don't claim that the mortality rate isn't the issue.  A 2% mortality rate means that instead of 10k deaths that we see from flu we'd be sitting at 200k.  80k people died of flu in the USA in 2018.  From coronavirus that number would be around 1,680,000.

That's an issue.

2/26/20 10:02 PM
1/1/01
jspeed - 
Soup and Beer -

You bring up good points but please don't claim that the mortality rate isn't the issue.  A 2% mortality rate means that instead of 10k deaths that we see from flu we'd be sitting at 200k.  80k people died of flu in the USA in 2018.  From coronavirus that number would be around 1,680,000.

That's an issue.

I agree but there's really nothing we can do about the mortality rate.  We either get it or don't get it.  How serious it is for us individually is out of our hands.  But what is not out of our hands is being prepared with canned goods and water if everyone starts freaking out like in Italy.

A simple ice storm or a tropical storm in the gulf and the shelves get raided dry at stores around here.   I imagine it would be much the same for a quarantined city under a pandemic alert.

2/26/20 10:02 PM
7/22/09
camicom -

The overblown ridiculous of this is shocking. I remember when AIDS, SARS, EBOLA, and the Bird Flu killed everyone. How is anyone left?

Don’t worry candycorn, you can’t get it sitting on your fat ass on the OG all day.

2/26/20 10:11 PM
8/19/19

Mortality rate in china .  Mortality rate in the USA is ZERO 

2/26/20 10:14 PM
9/8/02
hermanitor - The flu has a mortality rate of.1% and an R0 of about 1.2

This seems to have a mortality rate of 2% and an R0 between 4 and 5.

These results are likely flawed due to China being China.

The moral of the story is that this spreads way faster and is way more dangerous than the flu

and who is the flu killing? 90 year olds with broken hips? 

2/26/20 10:27 PM
3/9/13

It's so weird that camicom is scientifically illiterate and can't do math. I never would have guessed.

Sometimes you just read people COMPLETELY wrong I guess?

2/26/20 10:38 PM
7/31/09
jspeed -
Huggsbear -
baj54 -

Its comparing apples to fooking potatoes. We have a pretty good handle on influenza. Yes, it still kills people. A lot of people. Every year we manufacture several different types of flu "shots". These shots consist mainly of a cocktail of the worse strains from the years before and a really crappy calculated guess of what is going to be the big strain this year. With all we know about the virus and many people still getting the flu shot. Hundreds of thousands still die every year.

What do we know about the current and previous strains of coronavirus? Pretty much not a damn thing. The current stats are skewed because China wants to China. Im not putting on a tin foil hat yet but i still feel we have yet to see this coronavirus at its deadliest yet. It will mutate again maybe 2 or 3 times before we get a handle on it. 

I read even Doctors are having trouble differentiating between Pneumonia and Corona, thats how similiar it is.

The flu has about a 0.095% fatality rate while the corona virus has about a 2%.  That means that if the same amount of people got the corona virus as have the flu, instead of 10,000 deaths we'd have areound 210,000 deaths.

But keep pretending you're smart lol

Also multiply hospitalizations by 10 when compared to the flu. No medical system is built to handle that many seriously ill patients.

2/26/20 10:42 PM
5/22/05
Soup and Beer -

The mortality rate is rather concerning too but yeah the other stuff you mentioned as well.

Oh and op is a moron.

2/26/20 10:46 PM
1/1/01
jcblass - 

The moral of the story is that this spreads way faster and is way more dangerous than the flu

I can't find the graphical layout of the numbers but it seems the young from 1 to 14 are mostly spared and only get mild symptoms.  But unlike the flu, sars-cov-2 kills the old but also middle aged.  But the older you are the bigger chance you die from it.  If you are above 80, the chances you die are around 15%.  60 to 69, 4%.  and it goes down from there with a total average of around 2%

2/26/20 10:46 PM
8/2/19
Adrian Street -

Mortality rate from lions is also 0 in the USA.  I guess that means lions are not dangerous if released into a packed mall.

2/26/20 10:52 PM
7/31/09

Remember it isn't the virus that is killing people it is the pneumonia that it causes 

2/26/20 10:54 PM
4/11/08
Adrian Street - 

Because there are only a handful of confirmed cases in the US. The 0 fatalities is statistically what you would expect given the numbers at this point.

If you think once the number of confirmed cases gets to around 200 that there wont be fatalities you are dreaming.
2/26/20 11:00 PM
5/22/05

By the way the msm if anything has been underplaying it. "The greater risk is racism against Chinese etc"

Edited: 2/26/20 11:05 PM
1/1/01
hermanitor - 
Adrian Street - 

Because there are only a handful of confirmed cases in the US. The 0 fatalities is statistically what you would expect given the numbers at this point.

If you think once the number of confirmed cases gets to around 200 that there wont be fatalities you are dreaming.

Another issue is that until now they were only testing if a person met either of these criteria:

1)  The person had recently traveled to China and was exhibiting symptoms

2)  they had recent contact with someone confirmed to have the virus.

That's eliminating a pretty large sample size of the population.   They could be misdiagnosing a lot of coronavirus deaths and critical cases as pnemonia related.

2/26/20 11:09 PM
8/21/13

If it spreads, the virus won't be the issue. 

People raiding stores, hospitals over populated, supplies being cut, and travel bans will be.

Like, this shit is happening in China and some of you retarded think you are safe because you think the USA is untouchable.

Life doesnt give a fuck about you. 

EmpiEmpires have rose and fell over and over again. This isn't new. 

Eventually, something catastrophic will take everyone or the majority out. 

we are a fucking rock in the middle of no where. 

One day, things won't be as easy as we have had it. 

2/26/20 11:11 PM
3/9/13
Soup and Beer -
hermanitor - 
Adrian Street - 

Another issue is that until now they were only testing if a person met either of these criteria:

1)  The person had recently traveled to China and was exhibiting symptoms

2)  they had recent contact with someone confirmed to have the virus.

That's eliminating a pretty large sample size of the population.   They could be misdiagnosing a lot of coronavirus deaths and critical cases as pnemonia related.

Yea and specifically the symptoms being exhibited had to include fever I believe.

2/26/20 11:17 PM
1/1/01

I’m erring on the side of caution by having some more food in the cupboard, but nothing outrageous.   And whatever happens I’m certainly not blaming Trump for it.  It’s a potential global pandemic.  

Edited: 2/27/20 11:45 AM
1/1/01
Poiupoiu - at this point i dont even know what the above posts means.

i can say, get prepped

its real, and its contagious

do you have 30+ days of food and water on hand?

Yes sir, I do.

And I partially attribute that to you.  

If the OG"s resident skeptic is going Alex Jones on everyone then it's time to prepare!

2/26/20 11:24 PM
1/1/01
Camicom dropped the ball on this thread. The flu talking point may have been thought-provoking 8 weeks ago. It's not anymore.

When was the last time the world shut down due to the flu? Exactly.

Putting together preventive measures of the highest order is about as much as keeping the economy afloat as it is about saving lives.
2/26/20 11:24 PM
3/20/12
Poiupoiu - 

at this point i dont even know what the above posts means.

i can say, get prepped

well said my friend
I have taken it seriously
Have always been a pepper because I have never trusted the powers that be to give us the straight dope

I got 60 days easy, but I have always had 60 days...I eat from the supply and replace to keep it fresher

appreciate your input and hope for your safety and return to normalcy

RJJ out

2/26/20 11:27 PM
3/20/12
Soup and Beer - 
Poiupoiu - 

at this point i dont even know what the above posts means.

i can say, get prepped

Yes sir, I do.

And I partially attribute that to you.  

If the OG"s resident sceptic is going Alex Jones on everyone then it's time to prepare!

good for you soupnbeer

well played

I also appreciate PP posting and being honest about the situation

2/26/20 11:37 PM
7/26/12
jcblass -

People with cancer and other illnesses that damage the immune system