OtherGround Forums AR How many ARs are too many ?

8/26/20 3:55 PM
6/13/03
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd - I don't mind how many people have, if you can afford it, great...but why would a regular person need more than 1? Is it because people don't want to sell their old one when they upgrade?

Different calibers, barrel lengths, and setups for different purposes. 

You mean like 1 for home defense, another for target shooting?

Thats one example. The AR is very versatile. You can have various calibers from .22-.50Beowulf. You can have 8"-20" barrels. You can have gas or piston driven. You can have various gas lengths.. The sky is the limit pretty much. I also enjoy buding clone rifles as a hobby.

8/26/20 4:06 PM
1/1/01
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd - I don't mind how many people have, if you can afford it, great...but why would a regular person need more than 1? Is it because people don't want to sell their old one when they upgrade?

Thats one example. The AR is very versatile. You can have various calibers from .22-.50Beowulf. You can have 8"-20" barrels. You can have gas or piston driven. You can have various gas lengths.. The sky is the limit pretty much. I also enjoy buding clone rifles as a hobby.

I'm starting to go down the AR-build rabbit hole.

I initially told myself that I'd build one or two lowers and then get a bunch of uppers, but my online friends say to just build complete rifles.

Not sure which way to go...
8/26/20 4:08 PM
4/18/01
until you stop enjoying them? I only own one but will probably build another. For me personally more than that I would feel bad not spending on something new that I didn't already have in the collection
8/26/20 4:21 PM
1/1/01
billyball2 - 
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 

I initially told myself that I'd build one or two lowers and then get a bunch of uppers, but my online friends say to just build complete rifles.

I have a dozen or so, built all of them.  

You could argue I went a little nuts. After I built a basic, simple carbine I decided I wanted a competition gun.  I was doing IDPA pistol matches at the time and thought I might try 3-gun.  So of course I needed a competition gun. Or two - you need a backup in case one breaks. 

Then I found out about the MK12 - an accurized AR used by the military.  I like accuracy, so I built one inspired by that model.  

Then I wanted other calibers - .300 blackout, 450 bushmaster, 9mm, 6.5 Creedmoor. 

Then pistols became the rage, and 300 blackout was made for pistol length barrels, so . . . 

To be honest, I enjoyed the process of planning and building them more than shooting them.  

If I had access to a range where I could do 3-gun type stuff, I would like it a lot more.  But I do all my shooting at a range where you get assigned to a station, you can sit, stand, or shoot prone, but you can't move around, you only get one target to shoot at, so getting good groups is about the only challenge you can take on.  I like reloading, too, and chasing brass was not a lot of fun.  

I've found for ordinary range shooting like that I prefer shooting bolt guns.  I'm thinking of selling off most of my ARs and buying a good bolt gun.  

8/26/20 4:22 PM
5/28/03

Im good with 2.

But every household needs one. 

Especially in today's climate where not liking the president elboldens domestic terrorists.

Edited: 8/26/20 4:28 PM
6/13/03
Trust -
billyball2 - 
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 

You could argue I went a little nuts. After I built a basic, simple carbine I decided I wanted a competition gun.  I was doing IDPA pistol matches at the time and thought I might try 3-gun.  So of course I needed a competition gun. Or two - you need a backup in case one breaks. 

Then I found out about the MK12 - an accurized AR used by the military.  I like accuracy, so I built one inspired by that model.  

Then I wanted other calibers - .300 blackout, 450 bushmaster, 9mm, 6.5 Creedmoor. 

Then pistols became the rage, and 300 blackout was made for pistol length barrels, so . . . 

To be honest, I enjoyed the process of planning and building them more than shooting them.  

If I had access to a range where I could do 3-gun type stuff, I would like it a lot more.  But I do all my shooting at a range where you get assigned to a station, you can sit, stand, or shoot prone, but you can't move around, you only get one target to shoot at, so getting good groups is about the only challenge you can take on.  I like reloading, too, and chasing brass was not a lot of fun.  

I've found for ordinary range shooting like that I prefer shooting bolt guns.  I'm thinking of selling off most of my ARs and buying a good bolt gun.  

I just ordered a Howa 6mm creedmoore barreled action from brownells to build a starter long range bolt action.

8/26/20 4:31 PM
1/23/14
billyball2 - 
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 

Thanks for the info, definitely makes sense as a hobby or enthusiast type of thing.
8/26/20 4:32 PM
1/1/01
Trust -
billyball2 - 
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 

Sweet!

I built 2 of my 8.

Also do IDPA and USPSA. Got into it since a good friend of mine is like a world champion in it and owned his own gun store just a mile down from my house. My son actually would always be like Top 5 when we would compete but now he’s a Cop, so he has no time to shoot now. 

Thats the only thing I never competed in though was 3 gun. Always thought about it though. 

8/26/20 4:53 PM
5/1/16
williepep -
ChucksChin - 

Enough for the next two generations of my family . 

I recall your 450 bushmaster thread where you mentioned build for fun to have different caliber.

I thought about maybe selling some that were kind of wasteful but now leaning towards getting some different calibers set up just to shoot something different.

The 450 is lovely, plus it also uses the same BCG as 458 SoCom so if I need to change calibers I can easily switch to 458 with a barrel swap . The Aero XL upper receiver is very nice for big bore builds . 

8/26/20 5:16 PM
7/2/07
Stu Cazzo - 
williepep -
ChucksChin - 

I recall your 450 bushmaster thread where you mentioned build for fun to have different caliber.

I thought about maybe selling some that were kind of wasteful but now leaning towards getting some different calibers set up just to shoot something different.

.300 blackout with an 8” barrel is a pleasure to shoot - it would be perfect in a riot situation.

I just took this step and ordered a 300 blackout upper about 2 months ago, it just arrived.

Call me a nerd but I got a 10.5" barrel with a "match grade" stainless barrel with 5R rifling.

Already have decent amount of subsonic and suppressors that will work, so I kind of thought small quiet, would be nice.

It was a step in diversifying the mix so to speak.
8/26/20 5:25 PM
7/2/07
fiznadd - I don't mind how many people have, if you can afford it, great...but why would a regular person need more than 1? Is it because people don't want to sell their old one when they upgrade?

This is kind of one way it happens yes.

In my case many years ago before the modified trend started I bought a basic one with a fixed stock. All I ever wanted "needed". Put a Geissele trigger in it and a decent scope and thought it was good for mid range long range

Then I saw another one a couple years later with green furniture an eotech and set up in a nice way, I bought it.

Then I was in a storer and saw a box of Colt LE stacked to the ceiling on a super low price in the 800 range and thought " shit everybody needs at least 1 Colt and what a great price"

(never fired this one)

Then I saw Daniel Defense Lightweight at a great price and thought "hell Daniel Defense and lightweight"

Then saw an Daniel Defense MK18 upper and realized everybody needs one of those so I did the SBR process on that DD.

Somewhere along the way on a dark lonely night I realized that Larue Tactical did not raise their price during a surge in gun sales and thought " Hell you can own a Larue Tactical for the same price of a entry level AR" So ordered that and waited a year for it to arrive.

So yes that is kind of the way it can happen.

8/26/20 5:29 PM
7/2/07
^^^ also never fired the Larue, I need to break it out and start using it.

These are not the only 223 carbines I have but yes sometimes feel a little silly.

Glad to see other people have multiples and other calibers.

Way back when I would buy an extra magazine or 2 every time I walked into a store. Go look kick tires , but a magazine or 2. So I probably have over 100 AR magazines still in the packages. Guess if things every get really bad could sell a couple of AR with extra mags.
8/26/20 5:35 PM
5/1/16

Gun are like golf clubs  , some are better than others in certain areas . 

8/26/20 5:49 PM
1/23/14
williepep - 
fiznadd - I don't mind how many people have, if you can afford it, great...but why would a regular person need more than 1? Is it because people don't want to sell their old one when they upgrade?

This is kind of one way it happens yes.

In my case many years ago before the modified trend started I bought a basic one with a fixed stock. All I ever wanted "needed". Put a Geissele trigger in it and a decent scope and thought it was good for mid range long range

Then I saw another one a couple years later with green furniture an eotech and set up in a nice way, I bought it.

Then I was in a storer and saw a box of Colt LE stacked to the ceiling on a super low price in the 800 range and thought " shit everybody needs at least 1 Colt and what a great price"

(never fired this one)

Then I saw Daniel Defense Lightweight at a great price and thought "hell Daniel Defense and lightweight"

Then saw an Daniel Defense MK18 upper and realized everybody needs one of those so I did the SBR process on that DD.

Somewhere along the way on a dark lonely night I realized that Larue Tactical did not raise their price during a surge in gun sales and thought " Hell you can own a Larue Tactical for the same price of a entry level AR" So ordered that and waited a year for it to arrive.

So yes that is kind of the way it can happen.

So it's about getting a great deal too, since prices fluctuate so much. Nice!
8/26/20 6:11 PM
3/3/12

8/26/20 6:31 PM
8/7/12

I've been put on hold from purchasing anymore. A couple colt sporters (1 preban), a stag or two, one LMT and a handful of frankenbuilds. 

The answer to your question is, "one can never have enough". 

In reality I only have 2 hands so you could say no more then 2 but what's the fun in that?

8/26/20 6:34 PM
1/1/01
Ruben Blades - 

I know these guns. These are yours?

Edited: 8/26/20 6:57 PM
1/1/01
Sogsteel - 
Trust -
billyball2 - 
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 

I just ordered a Howa 6mm creedmoore barreled action from brownells to build a starter long range bolt action.

Let me know how you like it.  

I have a Howa 1500 in .308 with a heavy barrel.  It came in a rubbery Hogue stock, which I hated.  I bought a Bell & Carlson stock for it and it's great to shoot.   I just wish I had bought the 24" barrel instead of the 20" barrel.  

8/26/20 7:00 PM
3/3/12
uniquetechnique -
Ruben Blades - 

I know these guns. These are yours?

Correct

8/26/20 7:13 PM
7/2/07
Ruben Blades - 

I promise as I started this thread I figured you would come in and post picture.

I almost included your screen name in the OP
8/26/20 7:16 PM
8/7/07
Sogsteel -
Trust -
billyball2 - 
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 

The 6mm is a fucking laser beam and great option for ringing steel and punching paper 1000 plus yards.

On the short list of things I want in the near future. Great long range round external ballistics wise.

Also not something I would hesitate to hunt most things with. .243 caliber projectiles have downed a lot of deer and I wouldn't feel under gunned with one if it was sharing double duty.

8/26/20 7:16 PM
3/3/12
williepep -
Ruben Blades - 

I promise as I started this thread I figured you would come in and post picture.

I almost included your screen name in the OP

That makes me happy.

8/26/20 7:17 PM
10/31/10
Stu Cazzo -
williepep -
ChucksChin - 

.300 blackout with an 8” barrel is a pleasure to shoot - it would be perfect in a riot situation.

That’s my baby 

8/26/20 7:18 PM
8/7/07
Ruben Blades -

the legit mk18 clone is dope. Does it have the crane spec gas port too? 

8/26/20 7:47 PM
6/13/03
Trust -
Sogsteel - 
Trust -
billyball2 - 
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 

Let me know how you like it.  

I have a Howa 1500 in .308 with a heavy barrel.  It came in a rubbery Hogue stock, which I hated.  I bought a Bell & Carlson stock for it and it's great to shoot.   I just wish I had bought the 24" barrel instead of the 20" barrel.  

I planned nearly an identical build with my barreled action. I have been debating dropping coin on a Mcmillan A5 stock or get a Bell and Carlson. I was leaning towards the BC. I heard great things about the KRG brovo too. 

I ordered the 24" but if its going to take to long i may just get the 26" and have my gunsmith chop it to 22". That seems to be the sweet spot with the 6 creedmoor for comp shooting with velocity restrictions.

Yours looks like a tack driver. Research showed Howa as a killer option for a budget long range shooter.