OtherGround Forums ATV's can run wild in Detroit now.

5/15/19 10:47 AM
5/23/12

DETROIT (FOX 2) - ATV and dirt bike riders weaved through traffic, ran red lights and drove on the wrong side of the road Tuesday during rush hour.

A group of roughly 15 to 20 people formed a caravan and rode through the city Tuesday. 

"Detroit bike life, '313 Wheelie Boyz' that's all we do," said one rider. 

FOX 2 caught up with the group near Gratiot and Leland on the city's east side. Metro chopper first spotted the group on Livernois near Fenkell.

"We're from southwest. there's nothing but open land, this is all we've got to do," said another rider.

"We're not hurting anybody; we're doing the speed limit. we might blow a couple of red lights but at the end of the day we're doing the speed limit," said another rider. "So we're not hurting anybody or putting anyone in danger.

"We could be robbing or doing a bunch of other stuff but we're not." 

It's technically illegal to ride ATVs on the street, but Detroit police typically give riders a lot of leeway unless they are blatantly reckless.

Former state trooper Mark Bessner was sentenced to five to 15 years in prison Monday for killing 15-year-old Damon Grimes as he rode his ATV on the city's east side.  Bessner was chasing the teen and fired his Taser at Grimes, causing the boy to crash into a parked truck. 

On Tuesday a scout car confronted the group as they popped wheelies and drove the wrong way on Gratiot. No one was cited or arrested.

The cop who tased a kid riding an ATV last year 100% should have been charged but it basicly sent a signal that the detroit police can not do anything about ATV's, so you have stuff like this happening.

5/15/19 10:53 AM
4/4/16

Someone by me was riding an ATV on a major road and the cops got him and gave him 63 summons.

5/15/19 10:54 AM
3/15/06
We're living at the start of all the futuristic dystopian movies where people are afraid to leave their homes and the cops are powerless in the streets.
5/15/19 10:57 AM
4/22/07

Stop,  drop,  shut em down open up shop

5/15/19 10:58 AM
3/13/18

Hard to chase if the person actually knows how to ride. 

Atv&sxs were recently given the ok to ride along the side of all roads except the interstate near me. Although I’m not in an urban setting

5/15/19 11:10 AM
1/12/10

We had/have the 12 oclock boys in Atlanta. They were pretty much left alone because “they’re not hurting anyone” until one of the guys pulled a gun on a cop. The pretty much shut them down overnight. They’re still active, but much less so. They also don’t have the benefit of the doubt anymore and cops will chase and wreck them. 

One dude ruined it for all of them. 

My BIL bought an ATV from one of them off of CL. He didn’t realize it until he got there. It wasn’t in the hood, but still urban. When he showed up he said there were about 15 atvs and dirtbikes parked in the front yard. The dude selling said he was riding it, came home and then it wouldn’t start again. When we broke it down it was thrashed. Looking at it, all he did was ride wheelies apparently. It was stretched and the axels were bent and the axel bearings were fucked. We tore the motor apart and the rings were shit and the piston was cracked from running it lean. The front suspention was all out of geometry from slamming it down from the wheelies and the tires were bald from riding on the pavement. The case was almost dry of oil and we don’t know how it was still turning over. 

He eventually put a shit load of money into it and sold it running at a smaller loss than he would hav just scrapping it. We’re pretty sure it was stolen and the guy who bought didn’t give a shit. 

5/15/19 11:52 AM
5/23/12
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Atv&sxs were recently given the ok to ride along the side of all roads except the interstate near me. Although I’m not in an urban setting

I know a retired detroit police officer and he was at a loss at what to do to stop these guys. 

5/15/19 11:53 AM
3/23/07

That's how Ruff Ryders roll.

5/15/19 12:04 PM
6/27/05

St Louis has this problem and just started cracking down - too many stories of these idiots pulling guns on people hit the news.

5/15/19 12:08 PM
6/27/05
Passive Jay -
The_Pundits_Ghost -

I know a retired detroit police officer and he was at a loss at what to do to stop these guys. 

You have a .22

Put it to use.

5/15/19 12:14 PM
11/17/10

detroit needs more asians driving range rovers

Edited: 5/15/19 12:46 PM
10/15/07
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

We had/have the 12 oclock boys in Atlanta. They were pretty much left alone because “they’re not hurting anyone” until one of the guys pulled a gun on a cop. The pretty much shut them down overnight. They’re still active, but much less so. They also don’t have the benefit of the doubt anymore and cops will chase and wreck them. 

My BIL bought an ATV from one of them off of CL. He didn’t realize it until he got there. It wasn’t in the hood, but still urban. When he showed up he said there were about 15 atvs and dirtbikes parked in the front yard. The dude selling said he was riding it, came home and then it wouldn’t start again. When we broke it down it was thrashed. Looking at it, all he did was ride wheelies apparently. It was stretched and the axels were bent and the axel bearings were fucked. We tore the motor apart and the rings were shit and the piston was cracked from running it lean. The front suspention was all out of geometry from slamming it down from the wheelies and the tires were bald from riding on the pavement. The case was almost dry of oil and we don’t know how it was still turning over. 

He eventually put a shit load of money into it and sold it running at a smaller loss than he would hav just scrapping it. We’re pretty sure it was stolen and the guy who bought didn’t give a shit. 

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize buying an atv in the hood it was probably beat on. 

5/15/19 1:59 PM
5/23/12
Stu Cazzo -
Passive Jay -
The_Pundits_Ghost -

You have a .22

Put it to use.

A cop just got 5-10 years for tasing someone while they were fleeing on an ATV so I am guessing shooting is not an option. 

5/15/19 2:07 PM
1/12/10
ChicagoTom -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize buying an atv in the hood it was probably beat on. 

That’s the weird thing about Atlanta. Two blocks can be the difference between mansions and boarded windows. 

He got it for a great deal, a......steal.... if you will, because homie said it wouldn’t run and he didn’t know what was wrong with it. He talked him way the fuck down. Idk how much he got it for, but after almost a complete rebuild he only lost about $100 on it. He rode it for a couple months before unloading it. 

5/15/19 2:33 PM
2/7/12

They could be out robbing or doing other bad shit. Just let them have their hobby of disregarding traffic laws and nobody will get kilt. Punk ass police need to step off. 

Maybe Thanos was right, at least about Detroit. I hope you’re one that doesn’t get turned to ash J.

5/15/19 2:45 PM
2/15/06
""We could be robbing or doing a bunch of other stuff but we're not." "

--

You could also be working a job and being productive.
5/15/19 3:20 PM
8/7/12
Arzn1ck -

They could be out robbing or doing other bad shit. Just let them have their hobby of disregarding traffic laws and nobody will get kilt. Punk ass police need to step off. 

Maybe Thanos was right, at least about Detroit. I hope you’re one that doesn’t get turned to ash J.

Spoken like a true piece of shit. So where does it stop? When they injure an innocent bystander? When they run a traffic light and someone does not stop and obliterates the person or peoples on the bike? How about when they are blocking traffic and emergency vehicles can not get through? Where do you personally draw the line at? 

Body-more had this same exact problem. They managed to nip the majority of it in the bud. They started by closing blocks off as soon as someone reported that there are 3 or more atvs on the road. They basically set up camp and clamped down on it. They also started fining any shop in the city that sold a bike that was used to break the law. If the VIN traced back to a shop, shop was getting hit with a fine or face having their commercial license revoked. After awhile you couldnt toss all the gold in the local mint to most of the shops. They would not sell you a bike. Some of those shops went out of business. Other shops packed up and moved out of the city limits. And before you say how messed up the system is for fining a shop that technically wasnt involved in a crime, I've never heard once from anyone who rides legally and is from that area say, "Man I wish such and such shop never closed/moved". I do however on a routine basis here people say how glad they are that the cops put their foot down. If you want to ride do it legally. There are enough aholes on the road as is. We dont need a bunch of idiot assholes on bike making routine drives more dangerous th . they already are.

I even know of a few guys who would set up their utility vehicles so that when one of the atvs tried to pass them they could pop the passenger or rear doors open and WAM! No more rideable ATV and a rider who may think twice before running an illegal ATV on public roads. Every single instance law enforcement wouldnt even give the guy a warning and would just tell them to be on their way. The same could not be said about the ATV driver. 

And just for the sake of arguement we are not talking about air cooled engines or sharing the road with other drivers. Were strictly talking about the operation of an illegal vehicle on public streets. 

5/15/19 3:24 PM
1/1/01

Why does this shit ony happen in black areas?

I don't see it happening in white trash areas

5/15/19 3:24 PM
4/1/10

This is how they handled it in NYC when they started doing rides around Manhattan and terrorizing people...

Problem solved.....

5/15/19 3:36 PM
1/12/10
PatK -

Because white trash is usually in rural areas where there are trails and such. As a teenager I  rode my dirtbike on the street. Most of the time it was on trails or off road. We also wouldn’t pull guns on cops. Just run if they even chased us. And usually just dipped off the road. Like I said we had enough trails to not have to ride on the road though. 

5/15/19 3:39 PM
5/15/09

Huge thing in Baltimore. They use helicopters and intel to track riders and make bigger busts because they are helpless when it comes to a chase. People get mad at the police for "allowing" them to ride crazy in traffic, but what are they genuinely supposed to do to stop it in an immediate sense?

5/15/19 3:43 PM
1/1/01
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 - 
PatK -

Because white trash is usually in rural areas where there are trails and such. As a teenager I  rode my dirtbike on the street. Most of the time it was on trails or off road. We also wouldn’t pull guns on cops. Just run if they even chased us. And usually just dipped off the road. Like I said we had enough trails to not have to ride on the road though. 

I live close to Gary, IN

There's some pretty white trash sections in and around Gary. You don't see that shit happening there, but you do in the black sections.

5/15/19 3:45 PM
5/31/07
StrikingMMA - ""We could be robbing or doing a bunch of other stuff but we're not." "

--

You could also be working a job and being productive.

LOL at working when you can just ride your dirtbike all day like a 10 year old.
5/15/19 3:47 PM
12/20/05

AS LONG AS THEY AREN'T BOTHERING ANYONE I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM.  UNLESS THEY IMPEDE TRAFFIC........IN WHICH CASE THEY SHOULD BE SHOT REPEATEDLY..........

5/15/19 3:54 PM
2/1/08
Stu Cazzo -

St Louis has this problem and just started cracking down - too many stories of these idiots pulling guns on people hit the news.

Really?  I hadn't heard about that.  Joyriding has been up, but I hadn't heard about ATVs?