OtherGround Forums Am I enabling an alcoholic?

3 days ago
1/1/01

Buddy of mine fell off the wagon the other day.  Lost his job and place to stay, again.  He's asked me if he can crash for the next two nights, then he will have a place to stay.  My head says no but he's like a brother to me.  If I let him stay is that rewarding him for bad behavior?

3 days ago
8/3/12

It won't be just 2 nights

3 days ago
1/1/01

Just tell him he can't drink while staying with you.

3 days ago
1/1/01
Floppy Divac - 

That won't work.

3 days ago
1/1/01

If it’s 2 nights your helping,  more than that enabling.  How long was he sober?

3 days ago
5/14/08

If he lost his job and his place to stay due to his drinking then I would say yes you are enabling. 

3 days ago
1/1/01
PatK -
Floppy Divac - 

That won't work.

If it won't work he can't stay.

3 days ago
2/5/05

Ass, cash or grass bro 

3 days ago
1/1/01
If he is a friend fuck a bunch of enabling crap.

Give him a place to crash for a day or two.

If he has nowhere he will end up in much worse shape IMHO.

This is what friends are for.
3 days ago
1/1/01

If you have to ask......

3 days ago
1/1/01
Floppy Divac - 
PatK -
Floppy Divac - 

That won't work.

If it won't work he can't stay.

He's already drinking, which is why he lost his job and place to stay.

At a min, he'll be sneaking drinks in

3 days ago
12/20/05

IF HE IS A FRIEND HELP HIM.............AND STOP BEING SUCH A FUCKING FAGGOT..................

3 days ago
1/8/12

You need to be sure of your laws for residency. If someone has stayed with their personal items at a place for a certain amount of time you can't just kick them out.

3 days ago
9/22/09
Dryfly - If he is a friend fuck a bunch of enabling crap.

Give him a place to crash for a day or two.

If he has nowhere he will end up in much worse shape IMHO.

This is what friends are for.

Yep

3 days ago
1/1/01
Have a plan in case he attempts to overstay his welcome. As in be prepared to physically remove him. Have somewhere you can relocate him and his belongings to.
3 days ago
1/1/01
Submissable -

If he lost his job and his place to stay due to his drinking then I would say yes you are enabling. 

This isn't the first time, more like the tenth time (and that's a generous guess) he's done this in the past 5 years.  This time he had about 90 days.  I've helped him plenty and feel I need to start putting a foot down.

3 days ago
3/5/14

I would say let him stay, but not until he admits to you he fucked up and has no plans to continue fucking up.  If its just you saying sure come on over without an upfront conversation who knows how it will turn out and how he will react when you eventually try to kick him out.  Lay down the law upfront if you are worried about it.

3 days ago
1/1/01
Khun Kao - Have a plan in case he attempts to overstay his welcome. As in be prepared to physically remove him. Have somewhere you can relocate him and his belongings to.

My landlords aunt, cousin, and kid are going on month 4 now.....LOL Still not paying rent......They got him good! 

3 days ago
5/14/08
fryabusa - 
Submissable -

This isn't the first time, more like the tenth time (and that's a generous guess) he's done this in the past 5 years.  This time he had about 90 days.  I've helped him plenty and feel I need to start putting a foot down.

Then IMO its time to withdraw any offer to help that isnt something directly related to his addiction like rehab, counseling or some meetings. Giving him a place to stay for a few days does not help him with his issues it just kicks the can down the road.