OtherGround Forums Any ham operators in the house?

11 days ago
9/22/20

I have a few friends that are experts and I'm a lowly tech. I'm looking at establishing a good vehicle setup and have a Yaesu FT2D for hiking/camping. I'd like to get something Fusion capable for the vehicle. That means Yaesu I guess. Any recommendations? What are the OG hams using?

Additionally, I may need an "explain it to me like I'm 5" breakdown for:

• APRS
  • MURS
  • FRS
  • GRMS
  • Wires

Any resources you found helpful as a newb would be appreciated. 

11 days ago
7/27/04

Sub since I just started watching videos on it on YouTube

11 days ago
3/19/04

I'll operate your ham OP.

Edited: 11 days ago
1/1/01
I got my ticket a few months ago. I am not that knowledgable and just run a basic Baofeng HT w a Nagoya 770.

I always wanted to get my feet wet on it but taking a test to get a technician's license just seemed daunting. Decided fuck it, studying for a day and took it the next day. Passed it 33\35. It is VERY doable to pass it and study. Or just slowly study and keep taking the practice tests on hamstudy until you are consistently passing the tests. Due to Covid, you can take online tests. It's definitely worth it if you have any sort of interest in communications.
11 days ago
9/22/20

This should go without saying but don't post your call signs here.

11 days ago
1/1/01

Myfriends neighbor put up a huge antenna that blocked his ocean view.  The countywouldnt do shit because ham operators get special zoning allowances since they help during emergencies.

11 days ago
3/19/04
Tim Duncan - 

Myfriends neighbor put up a huge antenna that blocked his ocean view.  The countywouldnt do shit because ham operators get special zoning allowances since they help during emergencies.

lol That licks.

11 days ago
4/27/15

Watched YT videos for about 4 days, spent about 2 hours running practice exams on the AARL exam review website, and went and got my Technician's license the next week.  This was about 3 months ago.  I bought a Baofeng radio and have never used it.  When i get more time, i will watch some more videos get in a little practice.

11 days ago
9/22/20

If you guys like to prep in the literal sense of just being prepared, comms are almost important as any other prep you have, particularly when considering the medium and long term or real shit hits the fan moments.

From natural disasters to government disasters, they really help keep you in the loop and keep others accurately updates to your experiences. Watch the Netflix show Waco to see how fucked the Davidians were when the ATF/FBI cut comms. 

11 days ago
9/22/20
Tim Duncan -

This falls in the category of don't be a dick. I'd love to join you in Kauai and promise not to put a mast in front of everyone's ocean view. 

11 days ago
1/1/01

In

11 days ago
11/12/07

In. I’ve been looking at non ham options but maybe should skip them and get a ham license. 

There’s a GMRS repeater in my area which should allow me to reach say my wife in town at our house in the country but I’m still trying to learn about this stuff. GMRS liscense being usable by immediate family is convenient. 

MURS is supposed to be better outdoors and you can run an extended antenna but I don’t know what the realistic max range would be. No liscense either. Seems like a way better option than FRS.