OtherGround Forums Any tarantula owners?

Edited: 5/10/19 1:24 PM
1/1/01
I've been waiting the past 2 weeks thinking that this thing was molting because it was just holed up in its burrow, but I took a picture last night and the damn thing looks to be the exact same size as it was 6 weeks ago. I started feeding the thing again, I guess it didn't molt and wasn't planning to.

5/10/19 1:57 PM
12/14/00
I had several tarantulas as pets over the years when I was a kid. I just caught them outside though. One in particular I had for a few years was a total bad ass. He ate any living thing I put in his aquarium; beetles, wasps, dragon flies, spiders, scorpions, small mice, even a baby rattle snake. He did not touch caterpillars though. Maybe he knew they were full of leaves, as he wasn't a vegan pussy. Then one day I found him dead with a cricket in his fangs. I think the poor bastard choked to death.
5/10/19 2:16 PM
5/1/14
QTyp - I had several tarantulas as pets over the years when I was a kid. I just caught them outside though. One in particular I had for a few years was a total bad ass. He ate any living thing I put in his aquarium; beetles, wasps, dragon flies, spiders, scorpions, small mice, even a baby rattle snake. He did not touch caterpillars though. Maybe he knew they were full of leaves, as he wasn't a vegan pussy. Then one day I found him dead with a cricket in his fangs. I think the poor bastard choked to death.

Lol at, "he wasn't a vegan pussy."

5/10/19 10:17 PM
1/1/01
The body does look darker, which is one of the signs of pre-molt. I will try to feed it another cricket tomorrow (it ate the one I put in last night). So 7 weeks total and still no molt.
5/14/19 9:05 PM
1/1/01

Woke up this morning and found an exoskeleton in the enclosure, the spider finally molted.

He's hiding inside his house and won't come out, so I won't force him so I can take a picture. Here is his molt, so he's got to be bigger than this.
5/14/19 9:26 PM
1/1/01

Very cool

5/14/19 9:28 PM
2/12/12
jammyrft -

Cool pet bro.

The best action to take with a spider is to light it on fire and put it out with a sledge hammer. 

Lmao

Edited: 5/14/19 9:30 PM
1/1/01
I just lifted his house to see if he's bigger...and it looks like his body (not the legs, the carapace and abdomen) is now almost as long as that fucking water bottle cap...HOLY SHIT!!!

I will take a picture when he actually comes out so I don't freak him out anymore.
5/14/19 9:52 PM
3/13/07

In 

Edited: 5/14/19 10:18 PM
1/1/01
Oh yeah I ordered this thing today as well:

5/14/19 10:49 PM
1/15/15

In for pics after molting.

5/15/19 1:17 AM
10/28/16
jman - 

Bought another enclosure for the crickets. So far he has eaten 3 crickets in 1 week. I bought 6 more today. Will keep feeding him until he molts.

this shit reminds me of that homemade pond with the blue swimming pool an oger posted a ways back
5/15/19 1:21 AM
10/28/16
jman - Well had the sling for one month now and still no molting.

I've fed it crickets every other day for 4 weeks and just the past 4 days it's not eating, so I'm hoping that means it will molt.

Yeah, this is a pretty lame "pet". The 2 rats my wife got are a lot more entertaining.

If it molts I'll post some pictures. As of now, the thing is still the size of a nickle.

wondering about pet rats
are they tamable or do they try to run away when u get near them or try to pick them up?
5/15/19 2:43 AM
1/1/01
starboy -

I've fed it crickets every other day for 4 weeks and just the past 4 days it's not eating, so I'm hoping that means it will molt.

Yeah, this is a pretty lame "pet". The 2 rats my wife got are a lot more entertaining.

If it molts I'll post some pictures. As of now, the thing is still the size of a nickle.

wondering about pet rats
are they tamable or do they try to run away when u get near them or try to pick them up?

We have had the rats for 4 weeks and they are fucking awesome. We can now pick them up and pet them and they don't run away, bite or shit on the floor. They are as smart as the dogs we have had (if not smarter) and more friendly than our Chihuahua that died last year.

Very cool pets!

5/15/19 2:47 AM
1/1/01
derekbob -

In for pics after molting.

It came out tonight after I turned off the lights for a few hours and I finally saw the entire spider...it is like 2 times as big now. It ran back in the house after I shined the flashlight on it so I couldn't take a picture. It is fucking big!

5/15/19 3:04 AM
10/28/16
jman - 
starboy -

wondering about pet rats

We have had the rats for 4 weeks and they are fucking awesome. We can now pick them up and pet them and they don't run away, bite or shit on the floor. They are as smart as the dogs we have had (if not smarter) and more friendly than our Chihuahua that died last year.

Very cool pets!

now i want some
how old were they when u got them?
awesome theyll let u pick them up
in the pet store the guy put his hand in the tank to pick one up and about 6 of them turned into mexican jumping beans so i said fuck that.
Edited: 5/15/19 3:12 AM
5/14/19

I'm having one T in my apartment and I must say, that they should not be exposed to essential oil diffusers (I'm treating asthma with Calamus Essential Oil very successfully), so I just take my T away when carrying out a procedure.

Edited: 5/15/19 11:04 AM
1/1/01
OK I took a really shitty picture this morning before he ran back into his house and it's not as big as I thought, but it's bigger. It's roughly 50% bigger (which is what most people say happens).

So before the molt, its body was less than 50% the diameter of the water bottle cap (top picture) and now after the molt its body is almost 75% the diameter of the bottle cap (bottom picture).

So according to the 50% growth formula, its body length should be about the same length or longer than the water bottle cap diameter after its next molt (probably in the next 2 months).
5/15/19 11:05 AM
1/7/06

Awesome thread.  My guy just molted.  He was so small when I got him.  Bought him a pinky for the first time and he ate it!  Was actually really surprised he got it down.  

5/15/19 11:12 AM
1/1/01
Don't think I could ever feed him anything but crickets. We have 2 pet rats, so no way I'm feeding him any pinkies.
5/15/19 11:14 AM
1/1/01
starboy - 
jman - 
starboy -

wondering about pet rats

Very cool pets!

now i want some
how old were they when u got them?
awesome theyll let u pick them up
in the pet store the guy put his hand in the tank to pick one up and about 6 of them turned into mexican jumping beans so i said fuck that.

They were roughly 4 weeks old when we got them. We have had them for 4 weeks now and they can crawl around on us while we walk around the room, it's amazing how smart and social they are. Getting over the "tail" thing is the only hard part, but you realize it's for balance and not some gross snakelike thing and it's pretty cool.

Here is the thread I made about them a month ago:

Thinking about getting 2 pet rats
5/15/19 11:42 AM
5/15/07
My only advice comes from having reptiles. Keep their emclosure temp completely ideal (especially their basking area) even if it costs you a few extra bucks in proper lighting. If temps are too low they can be near immobile and get sick. Don't listen to the people that work in reptile shops for the most part either. Take them to a specialized vet for a check up and ask a million questions about foods, temperature, etc.
5/15/19 12:20 PM
1/1/01
I live in LA, so most of the year it is 70 degrees and sunny so the temperature is pretty much "stable". I try to spray water in there and keep the water dish filled though, because it can get kind of dry here, but besides that, the environment is pretty good for most pets. I think this guy just tends to be nocturnal and doesn't like coming out too much during the day sadly.

We looked into bearded dragons and some other reptiles, but they all seemed to need heat lamps, so we went with the tarantula and rats which seem to be quite comfortable with the LA weather.
5/15/19 12:38 PM
6/10/08

I was a pet smart last night looking at these things and wondering why the fuck anybody would ever want one in their house

5/15/19 12:46 PM
1/7/06
jman - Don't think I could ever feed him anything but crickets. We have 2 pet rats, so no way I'm feeding him any pinkies.

Lol yeah I get it.  I have a Madagascar ground boa.  The store was out of mice so I bought her a rat one time but she wanted nothing to do with it.  So yeah, ended up with a pet rat - they’re pretty awesome too!