OtherGround Forums Any tarantula owners?

8/15/19 6:15 AM
10/27/03
southcraw -

I’m gonna need more frequent updates, sir. Watching these spiders grow is wild. I know it’s been months but still the whole molting thing blows my mind.

I feel the same.

These are really the OG’s tarantula now.

Edited: 8/15/19 10:34 AM
1/1/01
Here's an update.

NON-FRAT VERSION: Last night after putting all of the tarantulas in their new enclosures (Brazilian White Knee, Mexican Golden Red Rump, Mexican Red Rump and Mexican Fire Leg) I was messing around with a stick to try to move them to a better location to see them better.

So I pop open the top to the Mexican Fire Leg in its new enclosure (2.25" x 2.25" x 4") and try to wedge it out from behind the cork bark/moss house. As soon as I nudge him, he runs up to the top of the enclosure, then out over the top. My heart jumps and thinks "oh fuck, he's out and I have nothing to catch him with". I go to grab a small clear "catch cup" and when I get back, I see he has moved to the top of the shelf. Then as I move closer to him, he runs to behind the shelf and I can't see him anymore. This little guy is 0.5" tall, the shelf is pushed against the wall (full of crap) and I have no idea where he went.

These are the thoughts going through my head:

1. Oh fuck, I have a live tarantula loose in my house.
2. Oh shit, it is just a tiny tarantula spiderling and will probably just die from dehydration
3. Fuck, I spent $50 on this thing and it will probably cost me $75 or so to replace it.

So I move the shelf away from the wall slightly and start shining the flashlight around looking for a tiny 0.5" spider...no luck. I then start removing objects on the shelf to see better...no luck. I then move the shelf farther away from the wall to see better...no luck. I grab a black light flashlight to see if that helps...no luck. Then I start to think:

4. I don't want a tarantula running around in my house, regardless of the size.

After 10 minutes of looking, I move the shelf out even farther, and take the flashlight again looking at the back of each shelf and 2 shelf levels down, I see this tiny spider wedged between the shelf and a small pillow. Elation and fear, I see him, but can't fuck up catching him. If I lose him now, I'll probably never find it. I grab the catch cup, a small coffee stick poker and ever so slowly "guide" him into the clear cup. He jumps in but then starts crawling out of the cup, so I have to keep rotating the cup as he runs around it. I finally am able to get him back into his new enclosure and he's safe.

Fucking nightmare, that I hope I don't ever have to go through again. I've had them escape before on a table, that's no big deal, just have a cup and keep an eye on them and they are good. Losing one when it goes behind a book shelf is something that I'd have a 50/50 chance of recovering them (at least the ones smaller than 1").

FRAT VERSION: 0.5" tarantula escaped behind the book shelf, was completely lost for 10 minutes, then I eventually found and caught him.

Here's the spider:

Here's the bookcase (you can see how it can crawl behind and "disappear"):

Edited: 26 days ago
1/1/01

Brazilian Blue is crawling all over the place. It is 2" now and the enclosure is 4" x 4" x 5". I thought it was OK for one more molt, but he seems to be going crazy now.

Edited: 26 days ago
1/1/01

I set up a new 8" x 8" x 8" enclosure for him, and will move him over tomorrow. That should be pretty interesting.

27 days ago
10/27/03

Just saw your Escape update.

I look forward to the eventual old school adult edition!

26 days ago
1/1/01

Mission Accomplished!

It took me a while, and he almost jumped out and escaped but I was finally able to get the catch cup around him and get him out and transfer him. This new enclosure should last him for at least a year if not longer
25 days ago
4/26/13

Haha craaazy!

Edited: 24 days ago
1/1/01
I'm thinking of returning/donating back the Mexican Fire Leg sling (one that escaped). It is super tiny, just hides behind its house, doesn't eat and then seems to want to escape all of the time. I also read that these guys are really nasty and like to kick hairs a lot when they get bigger.

I'm starting to realize I have too many of these things (ya think???) and should probably have more like 6 and not 8.

Going to Vegas on Sunday, so if I do donate it back I will do it on Saturday.
24 days ago
12/10/09
jman - I'm thinking of returning/donating back the Mexican Fire Leg sling (one that escaped). It is super tiny, just hides behind its house, doesn't eat and then seems to want to escape all of the time. I also read that these guys are really nasty and like to kick hairs a lot when they get bigger.

I'm starting to realize I have too many of these things (ya think???) and should probably have more like 6 and not 8.

Going to Vegas on Sunday, so if I do donate it back I will do it on Saturday.

Dude, if you start getting rid of all the ones with most potential to fuck you up and/or escape, this thread is going to lose a lot of its shine. 

24 days ago
1/1/01

Came back from work and the Mexican Fire Leg has closed off its entrance and is going to molt (could be why it isn't eating). Looks like I won't be returning it.
Edited: 24 days ago
1/1/01
5 of the 8 tarantulas have their burrow entrances covered and are molting (might be the hot weather, plus I've been feeding them a lot). I saw the Brazilian White Knee molted after I opened it's "door" (saw the exoskeleton) but I closed it back up so it didn't freak out. So for now, the only guys not molting are the Brazilian Blue, Brazilian Redhead and the Mexican Red Rump (that one's ass is huge and will probably molt soon too).

It looks like I'm sticking with all 8, here is a photo of the latest setups and enclosures:

Brazilian Blue - 2"
Brazilian Black - 1"
Brazilian Redhead - 1"
Brazilian White Knee - 0.75"
Mexican Red Rump - 0.75"
Mexican Golden Red Rump - 0.75"
Mexican Red Knee - 0.75"
Mexican Fire Leg - 0.5"
24 days ago
10/27/03

One day that shelf’s coming down and the updates will be glorious.

Edited: 23 days ago
1/1/01
It's Los Angeles, last month my wife and I were both looking at the spiders when an earthquake hit and the thing was shaking...definitely a real possibility (that quake actually caused a leak in my toilet from moving the pipe).

If there is a horrific escape event, I'll at the very least do a good job of documenting the catastrophe for the OG.
Edited: 11 days ago
1/1/01

Updated picture of enclosure setup and size updates.

Brazilian Blue - 2"
Brazilian Black - 1.5"
Brazilian Redhead - 1" (molting)
Brazilian White Knee - 1"
Mexican Red Rump - 1"
Mexican Golden Red Rump - 0.5" (molting)
Mexican Red Knee - 0.75" (molting)
Mexican Fire Leg - 0.5" (molting)

9 days ago
10/27/03

How long do they take to get to full size?

Edited: 9 days ago
1/1/01
It depends on the species, but probably about 4-5 years. Most of the slings I have are probably 1-2 years old.

I bought a new bigger cage (like the big one above) for the Brazilian Black. That guy is tearing up the coco fiber (dirt) like a maniac. I put him in it last night and he seems to be better in the larger enclosure.

I've decided to return the Mexican Fire Leg and Brazilian White Knee. Having 8 is just too many and is crazy to have enough space as they get bigger (which is happening quickly). With 6 I think it is perfect. I feel kind of bad, but it's not like I'm killing them, just returning them to the pet store to be fed and bought by someone else in the future. The Brazilian White Knee can get over 8" and I don't think I want one that big anyway. Most of the others will be around 4-6" maximum size (diagonal legspan).
9 days ago
12/28/04

Jesus, why in the fucking fucking fuck? Put them all in together, fight to the death! Then get a proper pet to finish the last fucker off!

Edited: 9 days ago
12/4/18

Fucking disgusting to have that living in your home. It’s unnatural and could bite you. It’s in our natural human instincts to fear spiders. There’s a reason for that 

9 days ago
1/1/01

Yeah not disagreeing bros, it's kind of fucked up...but also kind of cool. 

9 days ago
1/1/01

New setup with Brazilian Blue, Brazilian Black, Brazilian Redhead, Mexican Red Rump, Mexican Red Knee and Mexican Golden Red Rump.
9 days ago
1/1/01

Returning Brazilian White Knee and Mexican Fire Leg this weekend.
8 days ago
12/10/09
jman -

New setup with Brazilian Blue, Brazilian Black, Brazilian Redhead, Mexican Red Rump, Mexican Red Knee and Mexican Golden Red Rump.

A Mexican Red Rump sounds like a great Saturday night. 

8 days ago
10/27/03
God Of Thunder -

Fucking disgusting to have that living in your home. It’s unnatural and could bite you. It’s in our natural human instincts to fear spiders. There’s a reason for that 

Where are you from?  Do you have creatures around the area like this?

In Australia we basically divide between dangerous and non-dangerous. If the spiders/snakes/whatever are highly poisonous then be careful, if not, then who cares?

I don’t own a tarantula but they seem like a bigger but calmer version of the Australian huntsmen that you always find on walls here. 

8 days ago
11/1/03

Do you handle these guys at all? I've had many reptile pets but spiders still give me the willies.

Edited: 8 days ago
1/1/01
No I haven't really handled them. As they get bigger they are starting to scare me by how fast they move. It's speed like you've never seen (check out the attack videos earlier in the thread). It's nuts when I try to clean something out and it attacks the paintbrush (thinking it's food). I instinctively pull back because I don't see the movement until it's too late. I have pretty good reaction time and did muay thai, but this speed reminds me of when I rolled with Townsend Saunders (olympic silver medalist)...I didn't see him shoot on me...I saw him...then the next thing I knew I was on my ass from a double leg, lol.