OtherGround Forums Any tarantula owners?

Edited: 8/25/19 3:59 PM
1/1/01

Brazilian Blue is crawling all over the place. It is 2" now and the enclosure is 4" x 4" x 5". I thought it was OK for one more molt, but he seems to be going crazy now.

Edited: 8/25/19 4:00 PM
1/1/01

I set up a new 8" x 8" x 8" enclosure for him, and will move him over tomorrow. That should be pretty interesting.

8/25/19 3:46 AM
10/27/03

Just saw your Escape update.

I look forward to the eventual old school adult edition!

8/25/19 1:02 PM
1/1/01

Mission Accomplished!

It took me a while, and he almost jumped out and escaped but I was finally able to get the catch cup around him and get him out and transfer him. This new enclosure should last him for at least a year if not longer
8/26/19 10:15 AM
4/26/13

Haha craaazy!

Edited: 8/27/19 11:09 AM
1/1/01

I'm thinking of returning/donating back the Mexican Fire Leg sling (one that escaped). It is super tiny, just hides behind its house, doesn't eat and then seems to want to escape all of the time. I also read that these guys are really nasty and like to kick hairs a lot when they get bigger.

I'm starting to realize I have too many of these things (ya think???) and should probably have more like 6 and not 8.

Going to Vegas on Sunday, so if I do donate it back I will do it on Saturday.

8/27/19 3:21 PM
12/10/09
jman - I'm thinking of returning/donating back the Mexican Fire Leg sling (one that escaped). It is super tiny, just hides behind its house, doesn't eat and then seems to want to escape all of the time. I also read that these guys are really nasty and like to kick hairs a lot when they get bigger.

I'm starting to realize I have too many of these things (ya think???) and should probably have more like 6 and not 8.

Going to Vegas on Sunday, so if I do donate it back I will do it on Saturday.

Dude, if you start getting rid of all the ones with most potential to fuck you up and/or escape, this thread is going to lose a lot of its shine. 

8/27/19 8:11 PM
1/1/01

Came back from work and the Mexican Fire Leg has closed off its entrance and is going to molt (could be why it isn't eating). Looks like I won't be returning it.
Edited: 8/27/19 9:41 PM
1/1/01

5 of the 8 tarantulas have their burrow entrances covered and are molting (might be the hot weather, plus I've been feeding them a lot). I saw the Brazilian White Knee molted after I opened it's "door" (saw the exoskeleton) but I closed it back up so it didn't freak out. So for now, the only guys not molting are the Brazilian Blue, Brazilian Redhead and the Mexican Red Rump (that one's ass is huge and will probably molt soon too).

It looks like I'm sticking with all 8, here is a photo of the latest setups and enclosures:

Brazilian Blue - 2"
Brazilian Black - 1"
Brazilian Redhead - 1"
Brazilian White Knee - 0.75"
Mexican Red Rump - 0.75"
Mexican Golden Red Rump - 0.75"
Mexican Red Knee - 0.75"
Mexican Fire Leg - 0.5"
8/28/19 4:18 AM
10/27/03

One day that shelf's coming down and the updates will be glorious.

Edited: 8/28/19 11:32 AM
1/1/01

It's Los Angeles, last month my wife and I were both looking at the spiders when an earthquake hit and the thing was shaking...definitely a real possibility (that quake actually caused a leak in my toilet from moving the pipe).

If there is a horrific escape event, I'll at the very least do a good job of documenting the catastrophe for the OG.

Edited: 9/10/19 12:57 AM
1/1/01

Updated picture of enclosure setup and size updates.

Brazilian Blue - 2"
Brazilian Black - 1.5"
Brazilian Redhead - 1" (molting)
Brazilian White Knee - 1"
Mexican Red Rump - 1"
Mexican Golden Red Rump - 0.5" (molting)
Mexican Red Knee - 0.75" (molting)
Mexican Fire Leg - 0.5" (molting)

9/11/19 5:52 PM
10/27/03

How long do they take to get to full size?

Edited: 9/11/19 6:47 PM
1/1/01

It depends on the species, but probably about 4-5 years. Most of the slings I have are probably 1-2 years old.

I bought a new bigger cage (like the big one above) for the Brazilian Black. That guy is tearing up the coco fiber (dirt) like a maniac. I put him in it last night and he seems to be better in the larger enclosure.

I've decided to return the Mexican Fire Leg and Brazilian White Knee. Having 8 is just too many and is crazy to have enough space as they get bigger (which is happening quickly). With 6 I think it is perfect. I feel kind of bad, but it's not like I'm killing them, just returning them to the pet store to be fed and bought by someone else in the future. The Brazilian White Knee can get over 8" and I don't think I want one that big anyway. Most of the others will be around 4-6" maximum size (diagonal legspan).

9/11/19 9:36 PM
12/28/04

Jesus, why in the fucking fucking fuck? Put them all in together, fight to the death! Then get a proper pet to finish the last fucker off!

9/11/19 10:01 PM
1/1/01

Yeah not disagreeing bros, it's kind of fucked up...but also kind of cool. 

9/11/19 10:05 PM
1/1/01

New setup with Brazilian Blue, Brazilian Black, Brazilian Redhead, Mexican Red Rump, Mexican Red Knee and Mexican Golden Red Rump.
9/11/19 10:06 PM
1/1/01

Returning Brazilian White Knee and Mexican Fire Leg this weekend.
9/12/19 1:35 PM
12/10/09
jman -

New setup with Brazilian Blue, Brazilian Black, Brazilian Redhead, Mexican Red Rump, Mexican Red Knee and Mexican Golden Red Rump.

A Mexican Red Rump sounds like a great Saturday night. 

9/12/19 6:51 PM
10/27/03
God Of Thunder -

Fucking disgusting to have that living in your home. It's unnatural and could bite you. It's in our natural human instincts to fear spiders. There's a reason for that 

Where are you from?  Do you have creatures around the area like this?

In Australia we basically divide between dangerous and non-dangerous. If the spiders/snakes/whatever are highly poisonous then be careful, if not, then who cares?

I don't own a tarantula but they seem like a bigger but calmer version of the Australian huntsmen that you always find on walls here. 

9/12/19 7:05 PM
11/1/03

Do you handle these guys at all? I've had many reptile pets but spiders still give me the willies.

Edited: 9/13/19 1:02 AM
1/1/01

No I haven't really handled them. As they get bigger they are starting to scare me by how fast they move. It's speed like you've never seen (check out the attack videos earlier in the thread). It's nuts when I try to clean something out and it attacks the paintbrush (thinking it's food). I instinctively pull back because I don't see the movement until it's too late. I have pretty good reaction time and did muay thai, but this speed reminds me of when I rolled with Townsend Saunders (olympic silver medalist)...I didn't see him shoot on me...I saw him...then the next thing I knew I was on my ass from a double leg, lol.

9/13/19 1:06 AM
1/1/01
FingerorMoon - 
God Of Thunder -

Fucking disgusting to have that living in your home. It's unnatural and could bite you. It's in our natural human instincts to fear spiders. There's a reason for that 

Where are you from?  Do you have creatures around the area like this?

In Australia we basically divide between dangerous and non-dangerous. If the spiders/snakes/whatever are highly poisonous then be careful, if not, then who cares?

I don't own a tarantula but they seem like a bigger but calmer version of the Australian huntsmen that you always find on walls here. 

I lived in Taiwan and had 2 huntsman spiders get in our apartment. Those things were creepy as fuck. They are technically the largest spider by legspan, where tarantulas are largest by body size. Both are kind of creepy and I wouldn't want either lose in my house.

I agree too, it is in our DNA to be afraid of spiders, snakes, etc so we are kind of "going against the grain" with these pets...but that is also what makes them cool (as long as you give them their space and respect them).
9/13/19 1:08 AM
1/1/01
God Of Thunder - 

How would you sleep well at night with one of them things in your house? 

I couldn't sleep the 2 times I had the hunstman spiders in our apartment, I had to kill them. So far, I only had 2 escapes. One time I was only out for like 10 seconds, the other time a different one got out and was lost for 10 minutes. I would not sleep well if any of these got out. I read stories online where someones Mexican Red Knee got out and lost, and they found it a year later in one of their closets, lol.
9/13/19 1:17 AM
1/1/01

Brazilian Blue pic from right now. You can see it is losing a lot of its urticating hairs on its abdomen (not sure why, I've never see it flick them)