OtherGround Forums Anybody keep pirhanas?

2 days ago
4/10/20

Anyone ever keep these?  Figure it would be cool as hell, you can throw in insects, small rodents, other fish, then NOM NOM NOM all gone!

2 days ago
4/10/20

Thanks!!!

2 days ago
3/15/06

My oldest brother had a pirhana. He had a floating thermometer in the tank. I'd sneak into his room and pick the thermometer up and drop it back into the water and watch it dive down into the water and then come popping back up. One time I did it and the thermometer hit the side of the tank and broke and all the mercury went rushing into the water. I snuck back out of the room and said nothing. His pirhana turned white and swam around for a while and then ended up dying. As he was cleaning out the tank he found the pieces of the smashed thermometer and said that the fish must have attacked it and broke it. I never told him what really happened. RIP, sorry poor pirhana.

2 days ago
4/20/08

2 days ago
11/13/14

I hear they love to eat malnourished snails. 

2 days ago
7/2/11

Had one for thirteen years ......well two until he ate the other one. Fed it everything imaginable. Need a diatom filter for sure and they are low maintenance. Just know it's the only fish you will have... You can try to have schools but the cleaning is gross. It was the size of a quarter when I bought it and got to at least thirteen inches and three inches thick. Still have the jaw with the teeth.

2 days ago
8/20/03

2 days ago
8/20/03

2 days ago
2/23/05

Got tired of the snails huh?

2 days ago
11/8/09
CuddleBug -

My oldest brother had a pirhana. He had a floating thermometer in the tank. I'd sneak into his room and pick the thermometer up and drop it back into the water and watch it dive down into the water and then come popping back up. One time I did it and the thermometer hit the side of the tank and broke and all the mercury went rushing into the water. I snuck back out of the room and said nothing. His pirhana turned white and swam around for a while and then ended up dying. As he was cleaning out the tank he found the pieces of the smashed thermometer and said that the fish must have attacked it and broke it. I never told him what really happened. RIP, sorry poor pirhana.

That’s a great story. 

2 days ago
4/10/20
King Trav - 
CuddleBug -

That’s a great story. 

Yea, he should write a book on that shit lol.
2 days ago
4/10/20
Non N00B - 

LOL, I remember that cheesy scene!!!
2 days ago
4/10/20
Captain Canuck - 

Man, Canuck, I don't think I could ever do that to something as glorious as a trout. Not even a mouse, really. Those vids are kind of messed up. But like grasshoppers, roaches, shit like that. It would be fun.
2 days ago
3/8/11

Illegal in Texas. But you knew that.

2 days ago
11/28/09

2 days ago
4/10/20
TFK_Kaneman82 - 

Wait, are you serious? I did NOT know that. I just googled "purchase pirhanas in Houston" and several sites selling pirhanas popped up. Seriously illegal?
2 days ago
1/1/01
KingSchlong -
TFK_Kaneman82 - 

Wait, are you serious? I did NOT know that. I just googled "purchase pirhanas in Houston" and several sites selling pirhanas popped up. Seriously illegal?

I know a couple of people in college that owned them, but that was 20 years ago, so things may have changed.   Kinda boring and did not do much unless was they were hungry.   He would hold bacon strips in and nothing would occur unless he starved them.   

Edited: 2 days ago
12/31/19

Way illegal.  Not as fun as you think.  I’ve had red bellies, caribe, blacks, a school of golds.

The funnest is to start with a batch of 10 babies and watch em grow up.  But the water changes are many, especially if you are feeding live food.

They love beef heart, the best for them but if you get em as babies you can train them to eat fish food.  

There are other fish that are “funner”. But the piranhas Are a >

2 days ago
1/1/01

I had a purple one in my basement. 

2 days ago
12/31/19

Snake heads are pretty tough and brutal

2 days ago
5/17/07

I like arrowana for a fun predatorial aquarium fish.

2 days ago
8/26/18

Fucking Homeslice is about to release a menace in the great lakes of Texas. I would love if this silly MF'er single-handedly destroyed a states ecosystem. Then, and only then, would the world feel the burden of tehSlice as we have. 

2 days ago
1/1/01

Anyone ever raised a Medusa?

2 days ago
12/1/12
TFK_Kaneman82 -

So is adding non native fish to a retention pond, but that didn’t stop homoslice. I hope the fucktard gets eaten alive by a piranha...being over 400 pounds it would be quite a meal for them. 

2 days ago
11/13/14
KingSchlong -
TFK_Kaneman82 - 

You did a search with that fucked up spelling and the results came back spelled wrong also?