OtherGround Forums Anyone ever have a nerve study done?

6 days ago
7/9/19

Been having issue for 5 months now with pain around lower/mid area of left shoulder blade that goes around my armpit into my chest, along with left arm aching and tingling sensation, now on 3rd doc visit after several negative mri’s and x rays, referred for a nerve study to check for brachial plexopathy nerve issue. Anyone ever experience a nerve study? He mentioned a bunch of needles and maybe uncomfortable, just wondering ahead of time....

6 days ago
3/7/07

I wonder if you have a slipped disc in your neck. I had almost the exact symptoms and ended up with a two level fusion.

6 days ago
7/9/19
FlowWithTheGo -

I wonder if you have a slipped disc in your neck. I had almost the exact symptoms and ended up with a two level fusion.

I get a lot of strange sensations at first wondered if I was gonna have a heart attack but now it’s just become normal and constant..... the mris I had showed a slight bulge of my C7 but said it wasn’t impeding on my cord and shouldn’t be messing with me... never had such a constant nagging problem, I can still function through my day but when I sit or stand still it just aches and acts retarded all around there..... strange shit

Edited: 6 days ago
11/1/03

I have neropathy in my right foot, symptoms are tingling and numbness in foot and leg. Nerologist said theres no fix only pain management [won't take pills] and liptoc acid and vit b complex to slow it down. The worst part it never goes away, it's there every wakeing moment. Edit to say doc said i could do a nerve study and it might tell me how severe it is but their was no cure so i blew off the study. I had shingles a few months ago with symptoms like yours.

6 days ago
3/21/12
It wasn't that painful when I had it done
6 days ago
7/9/19
jpm995 -

I have neropathy in my right foot, symptoms are tingling and numbness in foot and leg. Nerologist said theres no fix only pain management [won't take pills] and liptoc acid and vit b complex to slow it down. The worst part it never goes away, it's there every wakeing moment. Edit to say doc said i could do a nerve study and it might tell me how severe it is but their was no cure so i blew off the study. I had shingles a few months ago with symptoms like yours.

Any idea of what caused it? Or was it just random? I’ve had a repetitive dumbass motion at work I believe has caused my pain... 

6 days ago
7/9/19
TzTinkle - It wasn't that painful when I had it done

Glad to hear that, I’ve been surprised before going into procedures lol

6 days ago
1/30/05

Yeah man did my ac joint and after I went down on this girl I couldn't move my arm for like 3 months.

Basically they jab a needle in you and the machine goes beep if your nerve is alive. 

Seemed like a waste of time to me, it told be what I ready knew and after they were like "yeah man, nerves grow slowly, good luck"

But what the fuck do I know.

6 days ago
7/9/19
luffy -

Yeah man did my ac joint and after I went down on this girl I couldn't move my arm for like 3 months.

Basically they jab a needle in you and the machine goes beep if your nerve is alive. 

Seemed like a waste of time to me, it told be what I ready knew and after they were like "yeah man, nerves grow slowly, good luck"

But what the fuck do I know.

Shit, atleast your story started cool

6 days ago
2/16/04

I've had it done after a car accident and loss of movement and feeling in my arm and legs.

Wasnt that bad. Lots of needles and electric shocks. But not really too bad. Except when he was testing nerves in my legs. He said those nerves were deep and required much larger shocks, and the one node was at my crotch. So I got huge shocks from my crotch to my knees. Those weren't fun.

6 days ago
9/24/07

Yes. Twice. For the RSD in my right leg. Once for my doctor, again for the insurance. 

First one wasn't so bad. The pain I experience every day was much worse, but it was uncomfortable at times. I also have a crazy-high pain tolerance so that is a factor to consider. The second time for the insurance was a fucking idiot that wasn't very skilled. It hurt like hell, bled like crazy, and I had to cut it short because it was torture. You'll know within minutes if you got a good doc or bad. If it's a bad one, get up and leave. There's other docs. 

If it's a similar condition to mine, there's no direct "cure". They want to play whack-a-mole with pills and symptoms. Don't let them. Alter your diet, your exercise routines, you lifestyle, whatever it takes but don't let them hook you on the goddamn pills. 

Best of luck. 

6 days ago
6/14/14

Yes, I had one for my arm because I get numbness in my hand. It wasn't too bad, lots of small electric shocks. The first few were fine but by the end I was ready to smack the doctor, seemed to get worse as the test went on. I don't think the shocks were bigger but the pain got worse.

5 days ago
1/1/01
had one done on my son since he was having a tingling in his hands and feet. turned out to be a side affect of his acid reflux meds
5 days ago
6/13/07
I've had two cervical discs replaced and compression in my elbow. I know all about nerve studies.

It depends on who does it and the equipment they are using. I've had them done where it's little more than 80-120 tiny needle injections that get a little worse as the time drags on to a nerve study that was done using a fucking BBQ skewer size probe and brought me to tears it hurt so bad.
5 days ago
4/24/07

If thats where they shock you a hundred times to find the right nerve then yes I have and I hated every second of it.

5 days ago
10/14/03
I had an injury during MMA training to the exact nerve area you're talking about. It was excruciating!

I've never heard of a "nerve test", but would be interested to hear what it is and what they can do with the info

I have permanent damage, so I doubt there's any hope now for me to change much.
5 days ago
6/13/07
jehiah - I had an injury during MMA training to the exact nerve area you're talking about. It was excruciating!

I've never heard of a "nerve test", but would be interested to hear what it is and what they can do with the info

I have permanent damage, so I doubt there's any hope now for me to change much.

Im defo no expert, but for me they inserted a needle into different nerves and "listened" to the feedback. Stronger the feedback the better the nerve was working. For my compressed elbow, you can hear how loud the nerve signals are in my upper arm, but then in forearm they are very quiet. That told the doctors my numbness in my left hand wasnt from the cervical area.

They also know which nerves leave the spine at what disc, so that can determine the location of an injury.
5 days ago
7/9/19

Guess I’ll just prepare myself to look like hell raiser then.... hopefully it isn’t a waste and actually shows something, thanks for input