OtherGround Forums Anyone getting shredded for summer? Get in here?

4/28/19 12:16 AM
9/6/11
Straydog24 -
jbc -

Ok, here’s a question then.

I’m a few years older than Stray.  6’ and about 205 at probably 18-20%bf.  My grappling competitive weight was 185.  Eat fairly well throughout the week, but tend to eat more than I should on weekends and work travel (drinks plus snacks).

Being older, I know that diet counts more than exercise for losing fat, so the three part question is what kind of caloric deficit do you suggest for ‘sustainable’ fat loss, do you rely on protein supplementation at all, and do you increase the cardio:strength ratio when cutting?

Ideally, I’d be sub 15% body fat by summer.

The easiest way to set your goalposts is to use the Myfitnesspal app. It will calculate your caloric intake based on your fitness goals. It’s by far the easiest tool I’ve used to make sure I hit my daily calorie goals. 

I usually shoot for 2200-2300 calories if I want to start losing weight at a pound per week. Surprisingly my macro breakdown is almost 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs and 1/3 fat. All fats are from healthy sources. I have 1 scoop of protein in the morning with all greens and that’s about it. I typically do 20-25 minutes of cardio to hit my numbers. 

As I progress through my diet I start to adjust to slightly higher protein as I dial down the carbs and fats. 

This is basically the old Body for Life approach but it’s worked for me for over 20 years. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what diet you use as long as you’re burning more calories than you’re ingesting. 

Calories in < Calories out

That seems like a very low caloric intake . How much of a deficit is that ?

4/28/19 12:20 AM
1/1/01
cuzzi -
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 

Starting my summer cut cycle next weekend. 500mg a week

Of what?

Test cyp

That's a pretty small dose.  I'm on 1500mg a week.

Duck man that’s a lot of test. How long you been running that? You will have a hell of a time rebounding 

Not much longer, if ya know what I'm sayin...

Edited: 4/28/19 12:26 AM
5/15/06

I did it. As shredded as I'll ever be. Hard diet and exercise for a year. Went from 6'4 300lbs at a pack of smokes/day, to 235lbs no smokes, added muscle. Ive kicked ass, met my goals of not being a piece of shit when I turned 40. In 10 days I'll be 40 and in the best shape of my life. 

My fitness pal and work ethic ftw

4/28/19 12:24 AM
9/26/10
smellslikefishtasteslikechicken -
Straydog24 -
jbc -

I’m a few years older than Stray.  6’ and about 205 at probably 18-20%bf.  My grappling competitive weight was 185.  Eat fairly well throughout the week, but tend to eat more than I should on weekends and work travel (drinks plus snacks).

Being older, I know that diet counts more than exercise for losing fat, so the three part question is what kind of caloric deficit do you suggest for ‘sustainable’ fat loss, do you rely on protein supplementation at all, and do you increase the cardio:strength ratio when cutting?

The easiest way to set your goalposts is to use the Myfitnesspal app. It will calculate your caloric intake based on your fitness goals. It’s by far the easiest tool I’ve used to make sure I hit my daily calorie goals. 

I usually shoot for 2200-2300 calories if I want to start losing weight at a pound per week. Surprisingly my macro breakdown is almost 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs and 1/3 fat. All fats are from healthy sources. I have 1 scoop of protein in the morning with all greens and that’s about it. I typically do 20-25 minutes of cardio to hit my numbers. 

As I progress through my diet I start to adjust to slightly higher protein as I dial down the carbs and fats. 

This is basically the old Body for Life approach but it’s worked for me for over 20 years. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what diet you use as long as you’re burning more calories than you’re ingesting. 

1 pound a week is 3500 calories. 500 calorie deficit per day. unless there is a cheat day planned in there somewhere.

4/28/19 12:25 AM
11/1/03

Was really looking foward to getting in shape this summer was working hard in gym but slipped and fell in shower and really hurt my sholder. Still hurts after 3 weeks, but getting better. Bad part i was drunk when i fell was really stupid. 

Edited: 4/28/19 12:29 AM
5/4/14
Straydog24 -
jbc -

Without tracking actual calories burned with a heart rate monitor or Fitbit I would imagine probably 100-200 a day. Just enough to lose a pound a week. 

It’s a very reasonable goal and I have been doing this more or less for 6 six years. I only fluculated 10-12 pounds at the very most. 

4/28/19 12:28 AM
5/15/06

4/28/19 12:29 AM
5/4/14
thewellhungarian -

I did it. As shredded as I'll ever be. Hard diet and exercise for a year. Went from 6'4 300lbs at a pack of smokes/day, to 235lbs no smokes, added muscle. Ive kicked ass, met my goals of not being a piece of shit when I turned 40. In 10 days I'll be 40 and in the best shape of my life. 

My fitness pal and work ethic ftw

This guy gets it. 

5/15/06

5/15/06

4/28/19 12:30 AM
5/4/14
thewellhungarian -

Awesome transformation Captain!

4/28/19 12:31 AM
5/15/06
Straydog24 -
thewellhungarian -

Awesome transformation Captain!

Feel like I'm 10 years younger

4/28/19 12:32 AM
5/4/14
cuzzi -
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 

Of what?

Test cyp

Duck man that’s a lot of test. How long you been running that? You will have a hell of a time rebounding 

It’s a ridiculous amount and I’m sure he has his numbers wrong. Even the most retarded bodybuilders at my gym run a gram/week. 

4/28/19 12:37 AM
11/10/18
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 

Of what?

Test cyp

You’re gonna have a heart attack or a stroke. Your blood is probably like molasses. I’m not trying to be a dick and I also take stuff, so I’m not judging. There really isn’t any reason to take more than 800-1000mg per week. You can only utilize so much and the side effects are dose dependent. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think that dosage will work out for you.

4/28/19 12:39 AM
11/10/18
Straydog24 -
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 

Of what?

Test cyp

You’re on a gram and a half a week of Test? That’s way beyond the very high end of any hardcore bodybuilders cycle. 

The average TRT dose is 100-200mg/week. Check your numbers because I remember following your thread and your protocol didn’t jump out at me like that.  

Some bodybuilders take 2-3 grams a week but they absolutely have cardiac issues.

4/28/19 12:42 AM
5/4/14
Eskimo -
Straydog24 -
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 

Of what?

Test cyp

You’re on a gram and a half a week of Test? That’s way beyond the very high end of any hardcore bodybuilders cycle. 

The average TRT dose is 100-200mg/week. Check your numbers because I remember following your thread and your protocol didn’t jump out at me like that.  

Some bodybuilders take 2-3 grams a week but they absolutely have cardiac issues.

There are a number of pros at my gym and perhaps it’s their influence on the other guys but as far as I know nobody at my gym runs more than a 1000mg/week for the reasons you stated. 

4/28/19 12:44 AM
5/4/14

As for this thread I don’t want it to devolve into a debate over gear. Let’s keep this one for the natty guys. 

4/28/19 12:47 AM
1/1/01
Straydog24 - 
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 
USMC Blackhearts -
cuzzi - 

Of what?

Test cyp

OK I was mistaken.  I'm on 1.5 cc's per week.  So I believe that's 300mg per week.  It's DR proscribed and carefully monitored due to low T.

4/28/19 12:50 AM
3/19/04
stevezur -
Canooke - 

Love me for how I am, but support me with where I want to go. Thanks fellas.

Looks like you lost a few pounds from the pic you posted in the abs thread. I have a similar appearance but have a little more fat around my hips and lower stomach.

Thanks man.

4/28/19 12:53 AM
3/19/04
Floppy Divac -
Canooke -
Straydog24 - 
Canooke -

Love me for how I am, but support me with where I want to go. Thanks fellas.

Almost there brother. Any further improvements from here will be much more noticeable. 

Thanks man. The diet is locked in. I'll post another pic in this thread in a few weeks.

Share your diet with me please. I'm sure that I'll never get where I want to be for having been so fat and weak early in life, but I know locking in a sharper diet would help.

I’m winding down for bed but will post it in the morning.

4/28/19 12:59 AM
9/6/11
Straydog24 -
Straydog24 -
jbc -

Without tracking actual calories burned with a heart rate monitor or Fitbit I would imagine probably 100-200 a day. Just enough to lose a pound a week. 

It’s a very reasonable goal and I have been doing this more or less for 6 six years. I only fluculated 10-12 pounds at the very most. 

I burn on average 3500 or more cals a day . If I went down to 2300 I would be in way too much of a deficit . Probably why I have a hard time putting on weight . 

4/28/19 1:12 AM
12/13/11
stray do you ever wonder just how freakin jacked you could have been on gear? like a lot of these guys on gear would look like shit without it because they lack training intensity, discipline with their diet etc. Will I look back and regret not going all in to look like a total freak? I think on the right supps I could look like flex lewis but I dont want to touch gear. I have all the potential; the genetics, the work ethic, the discipline, the psychotic obsession to never be happy with what I have, always striving for more. Should I go full meathead while I'm still young?
4/28/19 1:54 AM
11/10/18
Neil McCauley - stray do you ever wonder just how freakin jacked you could have been on gear? like a lot of these guys on gear would look like shit without it because they lack training intensity, discipline with their diet etc. Will I look back and regret not going all in to look like a total freak? I think on the right supps I could look like flex lewis but I dont want to touch gear. I have all the potential; the genetics, the work ethic, the discipline, the psychotic obsession to never be happy with what I have, always striving for more. Should I go full meathead while I'm still young?

You should post more pics of girls from posters on amazon saying that you’re dating them. That’ll show everyone what a genetically gifted, super disciplined, beast of a work ethic, tool box you really are lol. 

Did you really make that post being serious? I mean, I’m just joking with you but that post begged for someone to fuck with you.

4/28/19 2:01 AM
12/13/11
Eskimo - 
Neil McCauley - stray do you ever wonder just how freakin jacked you could have been on gear? like a lot of these guys on gear would look like shit without it because they lack training intensity, discipline with their diet etc. Will I look back and regret not going all in to look like a total freak? I think on the right supps I could look like flex lewis but I dont want to touch gear. I have all the potential; the genetics, the work ethic, the discipline, the psychotic obsession to never be happy with what I have, always striving for more. Should I go full meathead while I'm still young?

You should post more pics of girls from posters on amazon saying that you’re dating them. That’ll show everyone what a genetically gifted, super disciplined, beast of a work ethic, tool box you really are lol. 

Did you really make that post being serious? I mean, I’m just joking with you but that post begged for someone to fuck with you.

I am confused by the posters on amazon line. Anyway ... stray looks better than 99.999% of the dudes on here and hes natural. Hes also in his 40's. That is pure work ethic, discipline and dedication. It is inspiring. I do think hes too old to go full gear head now though. I am legitimately curious if he has any regrets on staying natural his whole life.
4/28/19 2:47 AM
1/3/11

I need to lose weight but I am not clear how to include cardio or hiit or something to increase the heart rate. I am  6'2 at 245lbs but cholesterol and diabetes meds are on the horizon. I'm changing my diet and lifting but cardio I dont know when to fit it in.