OtherGround Forums Anyone here have ripped abs at 45 years old.

10/18/20 7:19 AM
1/15/18

I Just got abs for the first time at 34 this past summer because I was a fatass most of my life. I'm 6'2 167lbs this am. I don't see myself ever getting far away from being this ripped as it has became my life As I age I will hopefully grow ino my new rippedness. I gave up sugar and dairy and nature took over. I exercise a lot and keep it moving. It feels great being lean especially after being the fat guy most my life. I know I'm not in my 40s but I lived a troubled and hard path and treated my body like some indestructible play-thing for years; not sleeping and drinking all night only to work manual labor intensive jobs all day. When I was a 300 pound fatass I never thought I could grow cum gutters. It's pretty simple. Eat realllllly clean for best, easiest results and be consistent.

10/18/20 7:19 AM
3/2/09

The biggest farce in any talk about abs is thinking ab workouts will get you shredded.   Not true at all.

First it depends on genetics. Yup that's right. I had guys who were able to do 100 situp in two minutes for the PT test, but didn't have any protruding adominal muscles to show for it.

I was able to do 80 and the best I could get with flexing was cleave that went down the middle of the stomach.

Second, it depends on your diet. Vegetables, fish and skinless chicken. Lot's of protein.

Third, core exercises, not just sit ups. In fact, you don't even need to do sit ups because core exercises will cause you to use your stomach muscles everywhere. Top, bottom and both sides. 

But none of that matters if you don't have the genes

10/18/20 7:20 AM
5/22/05
choadler - 
Windy City -

How hard was it? I am thinking about going for it. I am 5"10 188 pounds and 44 years old and on the muscular side. The lowest I have gotten down to was 179 over the last 20 years and I still didn't have abs. I probably would have to get down to 165 pounds to have abs.

At this age it won't be easy and my face will probably look 7 years older than I am now. I have the type of body where I carry fat on my waist. At 180 pounds you could see the veins in my arms popping out but to get that belly ripped I would really have to get down to probably 165. 

To the guys that did it in their 40's how hard was it? Where you able to lose that extra fat or does it just kind of stick there because metabolism being slower? I am on TRT and lift 4 days a week but looking to challenge myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Its funny, I'm a different situation, but I could. I'm slowly getting there.

48 years old. Was 6' 205-215lbs my entire life. Drank a fair share of booze, never dieted or excercised outside if a few years of light running. 2 marathons, but for charity, and I remained fat for both.

Something changed around Jan. Can't explain it. My diet didn't get worse, it just "stopped". Very little food appeals to me now, for whatever reason (touch of the covid back then)? I could easily just not eat for 3 days. I'm needing to force food. Worries me a bit, but I'm maintaining at about 174lbs. Absolutely a struggle to take in enough proper calories. Because of my "altered" diet right now, I could eat anything protein.

I'm just trying to keep enough daily food in.  Muay Thai 4* a week is getting me in great shape. In shock that I could make a 170lb weight cut for a fight.

I was very sick in 2010, almost checked out. Hospitalised, lost some of my esophagus and about 1/3 of stomach. It all tore internally, congenital issue that gave way. Fucking hurt, but didn't kill me. Pretty sure I'm the ONLY guy that any of you know that went without any food or water by mouth for 3 months. No joke. Lucky to be alive.

I've got big nasty surgical scars over my belly and trunk. I'm looking pretty good these days, abs would not be hard at all, they are visible now. I gotta say I look pretty bad-ass when the shirt comes off, and the Muay that bruises and 2ft long scars are on full display.

My advice to all, put down any booze. Just smoke weed (or vape). Better selection, and your body won't suffer.

Wish I never touched a drink, think many parts of my life could be different. I've learned that just dropping the booze/beer is about the single biggest improvement anyone can do in their life.

That sounds like symptoms of depression.
10/18/20 8:08 AM
6/26/06
banco - 
choadler - 
Windy City -

How hard was it? I am thinking about going for it. I am 5"10 188 pounds and 44 years old and on the muscular side. The lowest I have gotten down to was 179 over the last 20 years and I still didn't have abs. I probably would have to get down to 165 pounds to have abs.

At this age it won't be easy and my face will probably look 7 years older than I am now. I have the type of body where I carry fat on my waist. At 180 pounds you could see the veins in my arms popping out but to get that belly ripped I would really have to get down to probably 165. 

To the guys that did it in their 40's how hard was it? Where you able to lose that extra fat or does it just kind of stick there because metabolism being slower? I am on TRT and lift 4 days a week but looking to challenge myself.

48 years old. Was 6' 205-215lbs my entire life. Drank a fair share of booze, never dieted or excercised outside if a few years of light running. 2 marathons, but for charity, and I remained fat for both.

Something changed around Jan. Can't explain it. My diet didn't get worse, it just "stopped". Very little food appeals to me now, for whatever reason (touch of the covid back then)? I could easily just not eat for 3 days. I'm needing to force food. Worries me a bit, but I'm maintaining at about 174lbs. Absolutely a struggle to take in enough proper calories. Because of my "altered" diet right now, I could eat anything protein.

I'm just trying to keep enough daily food in.  Muay Thai 4* a week is getting me in great shape. In shock that I could make a 170lb weight cut for a fight.

I was very sick in 2010, almost checked out. Hospitalised, lost some of my esophagus and about 1/3 of stomach. It all tore internally, congenital issue that gave way. Fucking hurt, but didn't kill me. Pretty sure I'm the ONLY guy that any of you know that went without any food or water by mouth for 3 months. No joke. Lucky to be alive.

I've got big nasty surgical scars over my belly and trunk. I'm looking pretty good these days, abs would not be hard at all, they are visible now. I gotta say I look pretty bad-ass when the shirt comes off, and the Muay that bruises and 2ft long scars are on full display.

My advice to all, put down any booze. Just smoke weed (or vape). Better selection, and your body won't suffer.

Wish I never touched a drink, think many parts of my life could be different. I've learned that just dropping the booze/beer is about the single biggest improvement anyone can do in their life.

More specifically, gay depression.
Edited: 10/18/20 8:44 AM
1/5/11

Og never dissapoints.

I'd say it could be depression, there are plenty of reasons why, but I'm actually pretty good in my head these days. More focused than I have been in years. Food has been a problem all my life, had a very fucked up upper digestive tract when young. The surgery (which was emergent) fixed all of that. Food actually goes down now. Just don't hunger for food at all, my taste is about as bland as I can remember.

As a kid, took about 1 hr and 3 glasses of milk to get a PBJ down. Tough to explain just how much a fucked up esophagus slowed down my day to day routine! Had many tight structures, the trauma ripped right through all of them.

I'm thinking post covid. I worked in the icu's for 4 months with sick people every day. Think maybe a post covid symptom could be more likely. Hoping it changes a bit.

Edited: 10/18/20 10:04 AM
7/15/04
choadler -
jujigatame1981 -
Windy City -

Im 39. I have had an 8 pack since 17. Im 39. I did get up to 190 at a desk job. Im now 143 5'10" and ripped, energetic, and very active.

143 at 5'10 just seems fucked to me, but I'm amazed I'm at 174 at 6' tall. Your weight seems almost impossible to think about (not doubting you in the least!). I've resigned myself to 170 at a base, I won't let myself get lighter because I don't think I'd be healthy there w my medical history.

I have to say that getting lighter just feels so much better on my body. Hard to explain, but no doubt Im feeling better the lower I am.

At 140 lbs he is just stick and bones. That is ridiculous. I'm 6'0 and cut to 159 for a tournament once and could see my ribs.

People were telling me I looked like shit and malnourished. I walked at 185 and at 175-180 had a six pack and was in great shape. I'm 200 lbs now so need to cut back to 185 or so myself for a good chiseled look but I think these dudes talking about walking around at female weights is crazy. 

10/18/20 9:41 AM
12/1/05

Op. 

Listen to me. 

It will age your face prematurely and the cost/benefit isn’t worth it. Trust me. 

10/18/20 9:41 AM
12/1/12
dhughes -

Not trying to brag but my abs stick out a good 3 inches from my rib cage. 

#RippedLife

Haha! Just waking up and now I’m laughing out loud like an idiot. VU!

10/18/20 9:59 AM
2/17/07

I’m 42.  Visible abs but not a ripped six pack.  Most people can get visible abs...it’s just about having a low enough body fat %.  

The ripped six pack is a different story.  Not only do you need low single digit BF, it also comes down to genetics.  

10/18/20 11:30 AM
7/15/02

Almost 42. Not "shredded", but a solid six pack. However, I have basically just maintained that since I was a teenager.

10/18/20 11:35 AM
5/4/14

It’s absolutely 100% about diet and maintaining a calorie deficit.

Here’s the magic formula.

Calories in < Calories out

10/18/20 11:44 AM
1/1/01
Straydog24 -

Yep.  The older you get, the more dominant diet becomes in weight management versus exercise.

Ab definition is determined more by what you do in the kitchen than in the gym.

10/18/20 11:48 AM
1/5/11

Feel like I should just go for one of those meal plan things. I got a 18yo son that's into bodybuilding, he does it. Looks easy, he just grabs a meal off the pile a few times a day. Usually grilled chix, rice, broccoli. Fucking same thing over and over, but I see that as no problem for my fucked up palate.

10/18/20 12:27 PM
1/14/07
FingerorMoon -
Briscoe -

I get 1st place for ripped abs imo. Lol sorry, I couldn't not post it with that thread title.

What the fuck am I looking at!?

What's left of my stomach after some surgeries. Sucks, I'd love to get back in shape the way I used to be but I'm barely able to take a piss anymore. 

10/18/20 3:58 PM
1/1/01
Briscoe -
FingerorMoon -
Briscoe -

I get 1st place for ripped abs imo. Lol sorry, I couldn't not post it with that thread title.

What's left of my stomach after some surgeries. Sucks, I'd love to get back in shape the way I used to be but I'm barely able to take a piss anymore. 

Are those horizontal bands some kind of staple or clamp?  

In the picture, they almost look like they’re made of bamboo - like your gut is some kind of skewered and trussed porchetta roast.

10/18/20 4:01 PM
1/1/01
Briscoe - 

It's kinda your own fault for picking your Tummy Tuck Plastic Surgeon out of the Tijuana Yellow Pages.

10/18/20 4:01 PM
5/4/14
jbc -
Straydog24 -

Yep.  The older you get, the more dominant diet becomes in weight management versus exercise.

Ab definition is determined more by what you do in the kitchen than in the gym.

100% 

You can’t out train a bad diet. 

10/18/20 4:49 PM
8/11/05
49 here, and I'm sporting a nice 6 pack right now. I haven't been this ripped since college when my body fat was around 8%.

However, I'm much leaner than I would like. 5'9", 145bs, after intentionally dropping some weight because of recent health issues. I'm noticeably weaker than I was 2 years ago. Understandably so after a health issue, but I'd like to keep my body fat at this level and bulk up to 160.

To lose weight quickly, it was mostly dieting for me. 1500 calories a day, 16/8 IF, low carb. Not keto, but less than 50 grams of carb a day. Some body weight and KB exercises, but not enough to really make a difference, I don't think. I'm just now starting to do more weight training to regain some of the muscle that I lost. And 2000-2200 calories/day, still low carb.
10/18/20 5:02 PM
10/27/03
Briscoe -
FingerorMoon -
Briscoe -

Sorry to hear that, man. Hope youve recovered or will recover enough health to at least be able to enjoy life.

Edited: 10/19/20 3:33 AM
10/27/03
MPA -

The biggest farce in any talk about abs is thinking ab workouts will get you shredded.   Not true at all.

First it depends on genetics. Yup that's right. I had guys who were able to do 100 situp in two minutes for the PT test, but didn't have any protruding adominal muscles to show for it.

I was able to do 80 and the best I could get with flexing was cleave that went down the middle of the stomach.

Second, it depends on your diet. Vegetables, fish and skinless chicken. Lot's of protein.

Third, core exercises, not just sit ups. In fact, you don't even need to do sit ups because core exercises will cause you to use your stomach muscles everywhere. Top, bottom and both sides. 

But none of that matters if you don't have the genes

I don’t know where to start with this post.

10/18/20 6:12 PM
9/28/20

Abs are all about diet. Kill the carbs 

10/18/20 6:22 PM
7/10/12
banco -
choadler - 
Windy City -

Re the booze, I’m sober for a year and it changed my life only in positive ways

10/18/20 6:51 PM
1/5/11

Right on, Rabid. Stick w it.

10/18/20 7:01 PM
6/14/19

39. 5'11 3/4 (fuck you that 3/4" is important to me)  Made the switch to calisthenics in April when the gyms closed in my city. Kept working hard at it. Do a switch between the Spartacus blood n sand workout and calisthenics routine.

Went down from 195- 175. Leaned out a lot.

Not a super Six pack but definitely had my abs appear.

If you want to lean out I'd highly recommend trying the spartacus/calisthenics workout.

Check out the thenx youtube channel for getting some great workout ideas.

Best part about the calisthenics is being able to do it outdoors so you can get a tan too if you are in a warm area.

10/18/20 7:04 PM
4/13/07

43 1/2 and 6 pack still. I've been consistently working out in one form or another for 30 years.  Diet is good but not super strict.  Love my Ben and Jerry's.  I will admit that a lot of it is genetics and naturally fast metabolism.