OtherGround Forums Anyone here have ripped abs at 45 years old.

10/19/20 2:20 PM
1/9/19
jbc - 
theraskal -

did the "Greatest Generation" care about 40s ripped abs?  

Check out Paul Newman (born 1925) in Cool Hand Luke (released 1967) - he was 42 in the pic.  Those are decent abs and decent shape for a 40+ year old example of the 'greatest generation'.

what was his regular dietary exercise/habit?  Was he obsessively vain or did he drink fine spirits and eat manly foods combined with reasonable exercise regimen and the gift of good genetics resulting in an above-average architecture?  

10/19/20 2:26 PM
1/9/19

researching now, found this:

"Bursting onto the movie scene in the mid-1950s, after first making a splash on Broadway, Newman was one of a generation of young actors who represented a new kind of American man. Before him, the traditional male film stars – Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Jimmy Cagney, John Wayne – weren’t cool; they were actually kind of square. But what they lacked in diffidence, they made up in command. As Joan Didion once wrote of Wayne, but was equally true of them all: “In John Wayne’s world, John Wayne was supposed to give the orders.” These men asserted themselves – in romance, in war, in work, in society – because that’s what men did then: be tough and uncomplicated. Wayne and company weren’t racked by self-doubt or tormented by their shortcomings. Alpha males all, they exuded certainty and power. In a sense they were pre-Freudian, even pre-psychological: streamlined manifestations of American confidence. They couldn’t be stopped.

Newman’s generation was different. Where John Wayne was big, hard, stubborn, self-assured, and self-righteous, boldly lumbering into action, Newman and his confederates were small, soft, malleable, self-doubting, and ironic (about the last word one would use to describe Wayne), sliding their way edgewise into a scene. This attitude was identified as cool, and it was. Where the previous generation of actors always seemed to be on a mission, these young actors were disdainful toward everything – everything, that is, except themselves. They certainly didn’t believe in missions, and their contempt was a large part of their appeal to other alienated young men in the 1950s and early 1960s. What they had was a sense of superiority, as if they had understood something that the John Waynes hadn’t; namely, that nothing was worth the kind of energy Wayne and the others expended, nothing was worth the sacrifice or the risk or the faith. Not anymore.

In their cynicism, these were new men for a new age – a less arrogant, more anxious nuclear postwar world in which Freud was very much in evidence and you faced down danger not by vanquishing it, as John Wayne did, but by denying or ignoring it. In any case, they felt that the greatest dangers weren’t outside them; they were within them in their own roiled psyches. That’s why Newman and his contemporaries even felt compelled to adopt a different of acting. The old stars worked from the outside in – makeup, accents, body language – which was perfectly appropriate when the threats were external and you were going mano a mano with the world. The new stars were proponents of the Stanislavsky Method, which taught one to work from the inside out, and which was more appropriate when the threats were internal and you were wrestling with yourself.

Competing against them for roles, Newman would inevitably and repeatedly be compared to two other stars of this generation, James Dean and Marlon Brando, whom he physically resembled. Newman once told a reporter that he had signed 500 autographs “Marlon Brando” and quipped, “Two years ago they thought I was Jimmy Dean.” Like them he was regarded as another young, moody, misunderstood, tormented rebel who challenged the stultifying social order of 1950s America------

Paul Newman: The Man Who Defined Being a Man
10/19/20 2:31 PM
1/1/01
theraskal -
jbc - 
theraskal -

Check out Paul Newman (born 1925) in Cool Hand Luke (released 1967) - he was 42 in the pic.  Those are decent abs and decent shape for a 40+ year old example of the 'greatest generation'.

what was his regular dietary exercise/habit?  Was he obsessively vain or did he drink fine spirits and eat manly foods combined with reasonable exercise regimen and the gift of good genetics resulting in an above-average architecture?  

Dude, your naïveté is showing.  

Please take a minute or two to google Paul Newman’s activities and life.  He was a legend: Oscar-winning actor, national champion race car driver (for real), consumer of beer, scotch and fine foods, notorious prankster, and charitable philanthropist of considerable note were all on his resume.

10/19/20 2:35 PM
1/9/19

.....some more for the Paul Newman article:

“He drinks beer by choice. He smokes two packs of cigarettes a day and on rare instances can be seen smoking a cigar.

Newman would even disparage his famous chiseled looks, complaining about the corruption – that word again – inherent in being an actor because of the premium that acting placed on appearance. 

By that time everyone knew that Newman had character, and he made plenty of enemies in politics and even in Hollywood, where he sat at the opposite end of the iconographic spectrum from the right-wing, macho blusterer John Wayne."------

interesting article and a good resource for study of social evolution

10/19/20 2:36 PM
1/9/19
jbc - 
theraskal -
jbc - 
theraskal -

Dude, your naïveté is showing.  

Please take a minute or two to google Paul Newman’s activities and life.  He was a legend: Oscar-winning actor, national champion race car driver (for real), consumer of beer, scotch and fine foods, notorious prankster, and charitable philanthropist of considerable note were all on his resume.

naivete or crafty?

10/19/20 2:38 PM
11/17/10

Im a skinny fuck, so i have "easy" abs

Couple weeks of muay thai and cutting out sugary shit, Im good

Not jacked like the OG dads, but abs, nonetheless

No Pics fags

10/19/20 3:29 PM
11/5/03
Windy City - 

How hard was it? I am thinking about going for it. I am 5"10 188 pounds and 44 years old and on the muscular side. The lowest I have gotten down to was 179 over the last 20 years and I still didn't have abs. I probably would have to get down to 165 pounds to have abs.

At this age it won't be easy and my face will probably look 7 years older than I am now. I have the type of body where I carry fat on my waist. At 180 pounds you could see the veins in my arms popping out but to get that belly ripped I would really have to get down to probably 165. 

To the guys that did it in their 40's how hard was it? Where you able to lose that extra fat or does it just kind of stick there because metabolism being slower? I am on TRT and lift 4 days a week but looking to challenge myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't now (51), but I very much did at 45.

They came as a side effect of spending almost all of my time outside hiking and climbing. I didn't set out with that goal - because to be honest, I think it's kind of a stupid goal at that age. No offense.
10/19/20 3:35 PM
11/27/02
In for the Newman pics
Edited: 10/20/20 3:21 AM
1/1/01

The most common type of ripped abs at 45 is probably hernias.
10/19/20 4:41 PM
9/27/15
theraskal - 
jbc - 
theraskal -

Newman is on very good shape for 42 but he doesn't have muscle. He is pretty much just lean which is much easier to obtain over being muscular and ripped
Edited: 10/19/20 9:00 PM
1/9/19

^LOL well done

10/20/20 8:54 AM
1/1/01
choadler -
BJ Penn Forever -
choadler -

Feel like I should just go for one of those meal plan things. I got a 18yo son that's into bodybuilding, he does it. Looks easy, he just grabs a meal off the pile a few times a day. Usually grilled chix, rice, broccoli. Fucking same thing over and over, but I see that as no problem for my fucked up palate.

You don't need those ripoffs man.

Grill/bake/sautee a bunch of chicken/steak/burger/chops etc... and freeze it in one or two day portions. Stuff last months if needed.

Cook a bunch of cabbage, black beans, potatoes, greens etc... stuff is good in the fridge four days.

You can portion stuff out in little containers if you need the meal prep done the night before on busy days.

Its like 10x cheaper than those meal prep companies and way better if you (or wife) make gourmet sides and grilled stuff of your own.

I just ate mashed sweet potatoes my wife had made for 5 days straight as my main carb. Delicious, healthy and dirt cheap. I would not eat 5 day old meat but stuff like sweet potato tastes perfect, even on day 5.

Just my 2 cents.

Cant tell you how much I appreciate the info. Truly do. I'll start planning out something tonight. I have to fix the diet. Really convinced I had asymptomatic covid w some residual taste loss. It's weird.

The meal prep thing, funny.. what my kid has been doing is getting free trials for like 2 weeks at a shot. Hes going on almost 3 months now, just jumps company to company. He got what had to be a $200 shipment for like $30 the other day. After the trial, he just jumps to another one. If you are single and broke, take note!!! Awesome quality food, but he would never pay full.price.

Thats awesome the free trials are working so well for your son. I know nothing about that stuff but I'd give that a try! I just know I can't spend $15 per person a day on premade meals, just would cost too much for us.

I know when a guy and his wife are busy with work and life thats when the unhealthy takeout and fast food eating happens for a lot of people so I think that is why meal prep works for so many people.

When life gets busy my wife tries to cook big portions of healthy stuff that will keep in the fridge three days so we can eat that stuff even while busy instead of ordering pizza, picking up chick-fil-a etc....

I can't tell how many times having some already cooked frozen chicken or chops in 1 lb or 2 lb bags in the freezer has come in handy. Just takes a few minutes to defrost in the microwave and you got your protein. It really tastes a lot better than you would think too. Then you just pull some already made greens and potatoes/pasta/rice/beans out of the fridge and you are good to go.

My wife loves to cook and I love to grill and BBQ but she just does not have time to cook seven nights a week and we both try to avoid unhealthy takeout so meal prep just helps keep the stress down. She still cooks normal meals too whenever she feels or I ask but when we are busy... Sunday night cooking takes care of Mon, Tues, Weds lunch and dinner.

10/20/20 10:22 AM
2/12/14
androb -
Windy City -

How hard was it? I am thinking about going for it. I am 5"10 188 pounds and 44 years old and on the muscular side. The lowest I have gotten down to was 179 over the last 20 years and I still didn't have abs. I probably would have to get down to 165 pounds to have abs.

At this age it won't be easy and my face will probably look 7 years older than I am now. I have the type of body where I carry fat on my waist. At 180 pounds you could see the veins in my arms popping out but to get that belly ripped I would really have to get down to probably 165. 

To the guys that did it in their 40's how hard was it? Where you able to lose that extra fat or does it just kind of stick there because metabolism being slower? I am on TRT and lift 4 days a week but looking to challenge myself.

You’ll look way younger ... not older 

just my opinion. 

I’m 6-1” ...46 and have been 180 and 215 the last few years and find I look much younger thinner 

Not me to be honest my face looks better when I weigh 190 as opposed to 180 pounds. I think that extra fat hides some of the wrinkles.

10/20/20 10:25 AM
2/12/14
Fighting -

^^ not claiming ripped and shredded. i need work, but not too shabby for an old timer, i think. 

You're solid. I probably look like that at 177 pounds and walk around 189. How is your diet and you look like you're about 12 pounds away from being shredded.

10/20/20 10:26 AM
2/12/14
iclimb513 -
Windy City - 

They came as a side effect of spending almost all of my time outside hiking and climbing. I didn't set out with that goal - because to be honest, I think it's kind of a stupid goal at that age. No offense.

Why do you say it is stupid? I like to challenge myself, that being said I don't think I want it bad enough to do what is necessary to get there. 

10/20/20 10:28 AM
1/5/11
Windy City -
iclimb513 -
Windy City - 

Why do you say it is stupid? I like to challenge myself, that being said I don't think I want it bad enough to do what is necessary to get there. 

Always good to challenge yourself. Always. I'm.comong around to that fact now at 48.

10/20/20 10:33 AM
7/6/14

I was a heavy weight wrestler  in high school and literally  my entire team was ripped to shreds. We would have convos about diets. 

Nothing is wrong with carbs. Plant based foods are extremely  healthy  BUT 90 percent of ppl are not active enough  to burn through 500-600 grams of carbs a day that all these whole food plant based vegan doctors are telling us to do. So really in order to stay lean you absolutely  have to cut out sugar and processed and shit and eat whole foods, vegan  or not , keto , low carb whatever.   Whole foods are key. Cutting carbs makes it drastically  easier to stay lean bc no matter how you see it you need to be extremely  active to compensate  for high carb meals.  So just keep them under 50 to 100 grams a day and eat a ton of veggies and lean meats. 

10/20/20 4:25 PM
1/9/19

^I remember the "Heavy" wrestlers not being ripped back when I wrestled in the 90s.....they were very strong though and good to have about when some LOWbred riff-raff had the nerve to try and bully me!  

10/20/20 5:03 PM
7/10/02

First off, having abs help ha ha. And well, I'm serious. Some people have so little muscle that getting lean just makes them look bony.

MMA training is great for abs, and direct ab work too of course.

But for some reason, doing VERY occasional intermittent fasting did the trick for me. Losing fat is easy up to a point, but to see abs, it used to be a 2 month attack I did twice a year. And overall watching what I eat. With IF, I eat good but whatever, and yet am usually leaner. Crazy.

And to me it's just skipping a breakfast here and there! As breakfast are big meals for me, it did a big difference. If you are a small breakfast eater, you might not get the same results.

Also I used to eat a lot of cereals. I still do compared to most adults ha ha, but probably 60% less than what I used to do. Oatmeal instead.

10/20/20 6:12 PM
8/21/11

Youre better off getting lipo and sculpting of your midsection

10/20/20 6:18 PM
5/4/14
Sprawl'n'Stall -

First off, having abs help ha ha. And well, I'm serious. Some people have so little muscle that getting lean just makes them look bony.

But for some reason, doing VERY occasional intermittent fasting did the trick for me. Losing fat is easy up to a point, but to see abs, it used to be a 2 month attack I did twice a year. And overall watching what I eat. With IF, I eat good but whatever, and yet am usually leaner. Crazy.

And to me it's just skipping a breakfast here and there! As breakfast are big meals for me, it did a big difference. If you are a small breakfast eater, you might not get the same results.

Also I used to eat a lot of cereals. I still do compared to most adults ha ha, but probably 60% less than what I used to do. Oatmeal instead.

No matter what method of “diet” you use it always comes down to calories in < calories out. 

10/20/20 6:21 PM
6/25/18

10/20/20 8:31 PM
7/10/02
Straydog24 - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -

No matter what method of “diet” you use it always comes down to calories in < calories out. 

Nope. So 1000 calories from veggies and lean meat, and 1000 calories from crisco and fries are the same? So ridiculous

Of course it is a HUGE factor, the most important one in fact, but insulin, leptin and blablabla matter too.

Another example. Eat perfectly but don't sleep enough and you'll get fatter than a dude who eats so-so who sleeps constantly good and so on.

Anyway, I was sharing what worked for ME. It doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. But many similar stories from those who do IF, and I barely do some. Of course the days I do, no doubt overall I eat less that day, but still, it's not just a matter of calories.

10/20/20 8:35 PM
12/14/00

I could never get rid of that small pudge that is in line with your navel. I also never did all that much cardio, maybe 3x a week.

I'm 38, 6'1 175. Had some nice abs a year ago but got lazy after losing my job then covid gym closures. Trying to get back in shape now, but I know I'm not dieting right. I'll probably get on T when I turn 40. 

10/20/20 9:02 PM
5/4/14
Sprawl'n'Stall -
Straydog24 - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -

Nope. So 1000 calories from veggies and lean meat, and 1000 calories from crisco and fries are the same? So ridiculous

Of course it is a HUGE factor, the most important one in fact, but insulin, leptin and blablabla matter too.

Another example. Eat perfectly but don't sleep enough and you'll get fatter than a dude who eats so-so who sleeps constantly good and so on.

Anyway, I was sharing what worked for ME. It doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. But many similar stories from those who do IF, and I barely do some. Of course the days I do, no doubt overall I eat less that day, but still, it's not just a matter of calories.

Of course your macro breakdown is essential but it won’t matter in the least if you overshoot your calorie ceiling.

The main reason IF works for many people is you only have to manage meals and calories over a small window as opposed to an entire day.

Maintaining a calorie deficit is much easier if you’re only eating twice a day and not five or six.