OtherGround Forums Anyone here have ripped abs at 45 years old.

10/20/20 9:23 PM
11/19/05
Windy City -
Fighting -

^^ not claiming ripped and shredded. i need work, but not too shabby for an old timer, i think. 

You're solid. I probably look like that at 177 pounds and walk around 189. How is your diet and you look like you're about 12 pounds away from being shredded.

im 195 lbs. diet isnt on point at all. i mean im not stupid, eating poptarts and chips all day. but also not meticulous either. 

its gym mostly, hiit, tabata, heavy weights, coupled with some volume training mixed in there. 

10/20/20 9:26 PM
11/19/05

where’s gritty’s abs picture?

10/20/20 9:44 PM
2/25/14
Can’t post a pic because I’m not a blue name but I’m 38 and there. I was at 191 and training 6 days a week with my primary focus on muay thai. Fully ruptured my Achilles was tore my calf off a freak switch kick. Took almost a year to walk and went from 193ish to 227. Painful in many ways.

I finally worked through years of pt and decided to be the best person I could be for my kids. I quit drinking, never used drugs, started eating clean, got back into non-contact training at am at 191 and the most ripped I’ve ever been.

It’s all about discipline. Work hard. Push through tired days. Eat crap. Screw junk food. Eat to fuel you. Live with a purpose. I know it all sounds silly but man it’s not about abs or being showy but being the best I can be. It’s serving me well so far.

I’ll just say that I encourage you to go for it man. You can do it. Just stay disciplined and want to get better every day.
10/21/20 6:59 AM
1/1/01
Straydog24 -
Sprawl'n'Stall -
Straydog24 - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -

First off, having abs help ha ha. And well, I'm serious. Some people have so little muscle that getting lean just makes them look bony.

MMA training is great for abs, and direct ab work too of course.

But for some reason, doing VERY occasional intermittent fasting did the trick for me. Losing fat is easy up to a point, but to see abs, it used to be a 2 month attack I did twice a year. And overall watching what I eat. With IF, I eat good but whatever, and yet am usually leaner. Crazy.

And to me it's just skipping a breakfast here and there! As breakfast are big meals for me, it did a big difference. If you are a small breakfast eater, you might not get the same results.

Also I used to eat a lot of cereals. I still do compared to most adults ha ha, but probably 60% less than what I used to do. Oatmeal instead.

No matter what method of “diet” you use it always comes down to calories in < calories out. 

Nope. So 1000 calories from veggies and lean meat, and 1000 calories from crisco and fries are the same? So ridiculous

Of course it is a HUGE factor, the most important one in fact, but insulin, leptin and blablabla matter too.

Another example. Eat perfectly but don't sleep enough and you'll get fatter than a dude who eats so-so who sleeps constantly good and so on.

Anyway, I was sharing what worked for ME. It doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. But many similar stories from those who do IF, and I barely do some. Of course the days I do, no doubt overall I eat less that day, but still, it's not just a matter of calories.

Of course your macro breakdown is essential but it won’t matter in the least if you overshoot your calorie ceiling.

The main reason IF works for many people is you only have to manage meals and calories over a small window as opposed to an entire day.

Maintaining a calorie deficit is much easier if you’re only eating twice a day and not five or six. 

You mentioned the 2x a day vs 5 or 6. I'll be honest I failed to eat 5 or 6 times even at my most active when I was 16-22 years old. Just takes so much discipline to hit 5 and 6. 4 was the best I could do and even then #4 was just a protein shake.

Also sucked at 1 meal a day protocol. Just thought about food all afternoon until I got to my one hour eating window.

2 times a day is so perfect though. Feels natural for me. Wake up and have black coffee and water. Lunch rolls around and I'm able to have a big lunch and then a big dinner in a six to eight hour window because you select a lot of high fiber low calorie foods as well as high protein and low calorie foods as well. You can only even eat so many carbs as well while eating the high fiber and high protein foods. For example 5 ounces of potatoes is a lot when combined with a bunch of spinach, pork loin and black beans.... way easier to control the portion of carbs vs having french fries and a soda.

10/21/20 7:04 AM
1/1/01

On two meal a day protocol you can have a big dinner like two 4 ounce burgers, two servings of spinach, one serving of black beans, a serving of potatoes and an apple for 900 calories in still be in a nice caloric deficit for the day.

10/21/20 7:11 AM
8/4/08
I'm shredded mang.

I look down and my gut looks loke coke bottles.

I've got a routine so strict it's painful.

And it's worth every.....every...

*sniff sniff*

No. :(

My gut looks like a shag carpet ate a giant balloon.
I'd get on a scale and maybe feel motivated, if I could see it from less than 4 feet away.
28 days ago
3/21/07

Almost 40 and I got me a solid six pack. It's genetics, diet, and the amount of physical labor I do and did I mention genetics. 

28 days ago
11/11/14
4 later
28 days ago
1/30/10
jujigatame1981 -

Almost 40 and I got me a solid six pack. It's genetics, diet, and the amount of physical labor I do and did I mention genetics. 

I don’t believe you ....you’re a liar 

25 days ago
3/21/07
dios -
jujigatame1981 -

I don’t believe you ....you’re a liar 

Definitely not lying. No reason to do such a thing.

17 days ago
7/19/10

5’9” and 170 granite abs. I use the rings, trx and body weight exercises. 

16 days ago
7/10/12

I'm 43. Not ripped or shredded but decent shape for my age
15 days ago
5/4/14

This is my year round condition (more or less). I'm 46. As it's been stated many times in this thread - it's absolutely all about the diet these days.
15 days ago
11/5/03

Edited: 15 days ago
11/5/03

I'm 45 or 46 in the above potato camera Pic, so that was 5ish years ago. I'm about 8 lbs heavier now, so not that lean anymore. But, it was possible. By not working and spending 5+ hours a day hiking and climbing.

15 days ago
11/29/04

I did at 45 but I’m fat again at 48

15 days ago
10/4/18

24 year old here. I have the best abs on the OG. 8 pac, obliques on point too 

15 days ago
10/4/18

How do I post pics 

15 days ago
11/5/03
Sajbjj -

24 year old here. I have the best abs on the OG. 8 pac, obliques on point too 

Good for you, but you're half the age of the rest of us that the thread's subject is about. Being fit in the de facto prime of life is pretty much expected isn't it? 

14 days ago
2/12/14
Rabid Bunyip -

I'm 43. Not ripped or shredded but decent shape for my age

Are you on TRT?

Edited: 14 days ago
2/12/14
iclimb513 -

Nice! Were you on TRT at the time?

14 days ago
2/12/14
Straydog24 -

This is my year round condition (more or less). I'm 46. As it's been stated many times in this thread - it's absolutely all about the diet these days.

Good stuff what is your protocol? Are you on TRT or do you cycle?

14 days ago
5/4/14
Windy City -
Straydog24 -

Good stuff what is your protocol? Are you on TRT or do you cycle?

100% lifelong natty. 

14 days ago
4/20/08
Sprawl'n'Stall -
Straydog24 - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -

First off, having abs help ha ha. And well, I'm serious. Some people have so little muscle that getting lean just makes them look bony.

MMA training is great for abs, and direct ab work too of course.

But for some reason, doing VERY occasional intermittent fasting did the trick for me. Losing fat is easy up to a point, but to see abs, it used to be a 2 month attack I did twice a year. And overall watching what I eat. With IF, I eat good but whatever, and yet am usually leaner. Crazy.

And to me it's just skipping a breakfast here and there! As breakfast are big meals for me, it did a big difference. If you are a small breakfast eater, you might not get the same results.

Also I used to eat a lot of cereals. I still do compared to most adults ha ha, but probably 60% less than what I used to do. Oatmeal instead.

No matter what method of “diet” you use it always comes down to calories in < calories out. 

Nope. So 1000 calories from veggies and lean meat, and 1000 calories from crisco and fries are the same? So ridiculous

Of course it is a HUGE factor, the most important one in fact, but insulin, leptin and blablabla matter too.

Another example. Eat perfectly but don't sleep enough and you'll get fatter than a dude who eats so-so who sleeps constantly good and so on.

Anyway, I was sharing what worked for ME. It doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. But many similar stories from those who do IF, and I barely do some. Of course the days I do, no doubt overall I eat less that day, but still, it's not just a matter of calories.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2010-dec-06-la-he-fitness-twinkie-diet-20101206-story.html

I can tell you that losing weight while eating papa johns and arbys, two cokes a day, and a nutty butt was easy because.......it was still way less calories than I burned. It sounds like a lot of calories, but not really, especially with the pizza being cheeseless. Intermittant fasting gone wrong, I lost wayyy too much weight on accident, while eating "junk" food.

Having issues putting weight back on now with shit loads of chocolate silk pea protein milk, 80-120+ grams a day of various cereals, 1-2 table spoons of olive oil a day, 7 to 11 ounces of sirloin, sweet or russet potato of various size, smoothie with blueberries and strawberries etc, raw honey, oatmeal at times etc.

Hell, when I worked in a hospital, walking 7-9 miles a night moving fatass people around (plus the gym 4-6 times a week depending on program) I was eating publix subs covered in bacon and mayo and olive oil, dates, bagels, chicken sandwiches covered in olive oil and the weight was peeling off of me so quickly if I didnt stay on top of tracking how many calories I was actually consuming, it was insane. 

Edited: 14 days ago
9/9/06