OtherGround Forums Anyone make their own fire tools?

2/7/20 8:18 PM
3/13/18

I'm guessing someone like alto could do this in his sleep, but have any of you other heathens ever made fire tools? Like a poker, ash rake/pusher, etc?

i have a cheapo set from a big orange store, but it can't be that hard to do something cool, right? 

i was thinking rebar maybe? It would seem easy to manipulate, but I have no clue. 

How hot do I have to get to bend thin diameter rods? (Beep)

is it something I can do in the coals of the fire?

2/8/20 7:36 AM
3/13/18

Anyone?

2/8/20 7:57 AM
8/7/12

Im not a Smith but I would think it takes a bit more then just throwing some metal in the hot coals of your fire pit. Not to mention the shaping tools that are required. You might he able to find some soft steel but it would only bend and mishape itself once you used it a few times. If only there were a website to answer this and another to show you how to do it if possible? 

2/8/20 9:15 AM
3/13/18

I was assuming it would be feasible with a soft metal, and that I could grind it down as opposed to hammer it to shape the poker. 

are you trying to be cute implying I shouldn't post this here? It is a general forum, yah? There are experts in everything from helicopters to banging your mom here- didn't think this would be a stretch. 

2/8/20 2:01 PM
12/17/06

Let me know what tools you have access to and I'll give you an idea of what you're looking at.

Coals on the fire won't get hot enough, but a simple coal forge is easy to make. Something as simple as a discarded railroad track can be used as an anvil too.

Smithing on a budget is 100% doable for small projects like this.

2/8/20 2:02 PM
12/17/06

Rebar would be fine, as well. Grinding down tapers as opposed to forging them in is also feasible.

2/9/20 3:33 PM
3/13/18

Sweet! I have basic hand tools, pry bars, bench grinder, bench vise. Good small but decent work area.  No sledge/big hammer or anvil, but a lot of granite bedrock to hammer against if that helps. 
Totally open to building a small forge if it's fun and not too sketchy. 

2/9/20 4:04 PM
8/12/03

2/9/20 4:08 PM
3/13/18

Nice! I don't have a weld set up. Makes it tempting to justify buying something, but it's hard to defend. I guess I could go by a buddies place and do/ let him show me some spot welding 

2/9/20 4:50 PM
8/7/12
The_Pundits_Ghost -

I was assuming it would be feasible with a soft metal, and that I could grind it down as opposed to hammer it to shape the poker. 

are you trying to be cute implying I shouldn't post this here? It is a general forum, yah? There are experts in everything from helicopters to banging your mom here- didn't think this would be a stretch. 

Not at all. We have a resident knife maker who has already answered. Just saying there is a wealth of knowledge and videos out there and your only going to get worthy advice here from maybe a handful of guys and really maybe only 2 of them are worth listening 2. 

2/9/20 4:55 PM
11/14/11

hickey bars and bend to hearts content on small dia bar

2/10/20 7:45 PM
3/13/18

Bump

2/16/20 12:48 PM
8/12/03

made this out of old grease trap and scrap.
2/16/20 6:33 PM
3/13/18
reelfoot -

made this out of old grease trap and scrap.

Nice. Been watching a bunch of YouTube vids. Looking to do something without welding to start, haven’t decided on propane vs coal, although propane seems like a better starting point. 
my buddy has an anvil he doesn’t use, so I’m part way there- hopefully be attempting to heat up some steel by next weekend. 

2/16/20 7:13 PM
8/19/06
Fireplace tools and your basic working tongs are usually the first tools people make.

I went with propane as fuel source. Much easier to get going and put in the hours instead of playing with coal. I can have my project worked out before the coal is ready usually. So unless it is a full day you are going to put in every time ... maybe propane?
2/16/20 8:27 PM
12/17/06
The_Pundits_Ghost - 

Sweet! I have basic hand tools, pry bars, bench grinder, bench vise. Good small but decent work area.  No sledge/big hammer or anvil, but a lot of granite bedrock to hammer against if that helps. 

Okay, so you're set up to grind. That's good for material removal.

What you really need is tools to heat, manipulate and make holes.

So, on the cheap...

Anvil - railroad track. Free if you look hard enough.

Hammer - 2.5lb hand hammer from the hardware store

Tongs - handheld channel locks and pliers, hardware store 

Punches for holes - you can make your own or use a hand drill

Heat: Google brake drum coal forge. If built right they're quite safe and cheap. Fuel with lump, not briquettes.

That's the cheapest most basic way to get started moving metal.

2/16/20 8:28 PM
12/17/06
reelfoot - 

Ooooh daddy like

2/16/20 8:55 PM
3/13/18
Altofsky -
The_Pundits_Ghost - 

Okay, so you're set up to grind. That's good for material removal.

What you really need is tools to heat, manipulate and make holes.

So, on the cheap...

Anvil - railroad track. Free if you look hard enough.

Hammer - 2.5lb hand hammer from the hardware store

Tongs - handheld channel locks and pliers, hardware store 

Punches for holes - you can make your own or use a hand drill

Heat: Google brake drum coal forge. If built right they're quite safe and cheap. Fuel with lump, not briquettes.

That's the cheapest most basic way to get started moving metal.

Cool. I’m getting an anvil from a buddy, and probably some railroad track too. Was thinking of building a forge following this guys design:

2/16/20 10:42 PM
3/13/18

Alto- have you ever done a thread about your shop set up, or how you got into it?

2/17/20 10:23 AM
8/12/03

I see a few forging set ups on FB market place that seem pretty cheap, but a anvil is consistently high priced