OtherGround Forums Aretha Franklin let her house go to crap.

Edited: 6 days ago
5/23/12

Aretha Franklin’s last Detroit property sold this October for $300,000. The Queen of Soul hadn’t lived in the 1927 Detroit Golf Club home for about ten years, but her style remained. Developer Anthony O. Kellum purchased the property and is planning an extensive renovation of the home.

The house will need mechanical work first—there’s currently no heat or electricity. They’ll keep the slate roof, which needs extensive repairs. Original details will remain, but many cosmetic renovations are planned.

One wall will come down in the house—the wall separating the kitchen and the dining room. The very blue, sprawling kitchen will be gutted and modernized. We asked about the unique doors in that wall that will come down, and Kellum said he’d keep them and hopefully use them somewhere. The original herringbone flooring in the dining room will stay.

Roses cover the house—in the wallpaper, the fixtures, the carpet. Aretha lived here when she recorded the album A Rose Is Still A Rose.

6 days ago
7/26/07
huh, weird that she didnt' at least assign someone to oversee the property and just let it basically rot there for a decade
6 days ago
5/23/12

Aretha’s pink bed remains in the master bedroom. The master bath will also be redone, but the main components—the fireplace and the red tub—will be kept. Kellum will call in a designer to work on the configuration of this large room.

One design decision Kellum is debating is what to do with the glass-encased back sunroom/all-seasons porch. Should it be torn down and opened up? Rebuilt?

6 days ago
5/23/12

Franklin’s former home has six bedrooms, five baths, and spans somewhere around 6,000 square feet. It also has a three-car garage and sits at the 7th hole of the Detroit Golf Club.

Kellum has an ambitious May deadline to finish the renovations. The PGA tour comes to the Detroit Golf Club in June, and Kellum is hopeful the house can be rented out to a golfer.

6 days ago
5/23/12

Part of the sale included the lot next door, which Kellum plans to build a home on (the Detroit Golf Club is not a historic district). After the renovations are completed, the house will list for sale.

As for the rose in the main living room, Kellum is considering options for preserving it, although it’s unclear what that could look like. The home is full of older charm—stone fireplaces, wood beams, elaborate tiling in bathrooms, unique archways and doors—along with signature details from the Queen of Soul

6 days ago
6/5/12

wonder if one could still smell / taste her beefy sin slit on those pink bedsheets

6 days ago
5/23/12

6 days ago
7/26/07
It still boggles my mind that someone could own a house like that and just let it sit there and decay
6 days ago
6/29/02
Chimonos Revenge - It still boggles my mind that someone could own a house like that and just let it sit there and decay

When you have more money than you can possibly ever spend ... zero fucks given.

6 days ago
1/24/15

I bet you could still pick up the scent of cocoa butter and ass from that pink bed.

6 days ago
4/8/07

The kitchen looks like it was from a ballpark concession stand

6 days ago
6/30/07

No heat?

6 days ago
3/20/12

didn't she always get paid in cash right after her performance?

6 days ago
11/16/08

That place needed more R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

6 days ago
7/26/07
MountainMedic - 

No heat?

No heat OR Electricity
6 days ago
7/8/06
That bed and tub have seen some things :(
6 days ago
7/26/07
Mustard Tiger - That bed and tub have seen some things :(

and that toilet

Looks reinforced
6 days ago
2/5/06
DagwoodDogwoggle - 
Chimonos Revenge - It still boggles my mind that someone could own a house like that and just let it sit there and decay

While being a mouthpiece of the left.

That's the left for you, hypocrites of the highest degree, wake up....they don't care about you.

She could have done a lot of good for low income minorities of Detroit.....nope, let it rot away while bitching about inequality.
7/26/07
CaptainWoody - 
DagwoodDogwoggle - 

That's the left for you, hypocrites of the highest degree, wake up....they don't care about you.

She could have done a lot of good for low income minorities of Detroit.....nope, let it rot away while bitching about inequality.

Jesus, does every thread have to be full of this bullshit?

Because no one that leans right has ever let a property get into a state of disrepair.

Some of you have your head so far up your own ass about stuff like this i wonder how you can even function in the real world

6 days ago
11/23/11
Chimonos Revenge -
CaptainWoody - 
DagwoodDogwoggle - 

Because no one that leans right has ever let a property get into a state of disrepair.

Some of you have your head so far up your own ass about stuff like this i wonder how you can even function in the real world

Mental illness is real 

6 days ago
2/5/06
Chimonos Revenge - 
CaptainWoody - 
DagwoodDogwoggle - 

The title of the thread is her letting it go to shit you muppet

Sure they have.....they aren't bitching about inequality and injustices however, that's the point.

Do you think before you type shit?
7/26/07
CaptainWoody - 
Chimonos Revenge - 
CaptainWoody - 
DagwoodDogwoggle - 

Sure they have.....they aren't bitching about inequality and injustices however, that's the point.

A rich individual letting her house go to hell is indicative of "the left" and how they don't care about you?

Everyone's talking about how she let it go to shit.

Only you have made it about your boogeyman, "The left"

THAT's what i mean. Taking a thread that has nothing to do with politics and making it about politics.

You types are unfuckingbearble on this site.

THere are only about 5 million other echo chamber threads here for you to bitch about the left on. Go find one of those.

6 days ago
2/5/06
Chimonos Revenge - 
CaptainWoody - 
Chimonos Revenge - 
CaptainWoody - 
DagwoodDogwoggle - 

A rich individual letting her house go to hell is indicative of "the left" and how they don't care about you?

Everyone's talking about how she let it go to shit.

Only you have made it about your boogeyman, "The left"

THAT's what i mean. Taking a thread that has nothing to do with politics and making it about politics.

You types are unfuckingbearble on this site.

THere are only about 5 million other echo chamber threads here for you to bitch about the left on. Go find one of those.

Are you seriously this upset?

Sounds like you have the issues my friend, you should focus more on yourself.

Aretha Franklin was a huge mouthpiece, I'm not just grabbing shit out of thin air here.

I'll post what I want, where I want, you can shove it up your ass Nancy.

Fake ass bitch police, do something about it or shut the fuck up.
6 days ago
7/26/07
How much maintenance is there in a slate roof i wonder?

Seems like a giant hassle tbh
6 days ago
5/23/12
Chimonos Revenge - How much maintenance is there in a slate roof i wonder?

Seems like a giant hassle tbh

almost 0.

They last 80-100 years but are super expensive to replace. We have a slate roof on our clubhouse at work that cost about a million dollars to replace.