OtherGround Forums Average IQ by occupation:

5 days ago
2/27/13

There has only ever been one person whose IQ was estimated (yes estimated) to be above 234.

What a pile of shite.

5 days ago
11/20/13
Banjaxo -

There has only ever been one person whose IQ was estimated (yes estimated) to be above 234.

What a pile of shite.

It's not actual IQ, it's IQ estimates based on income. If anything, the data suggests there isn't a linear relationship between income and IQ, which I doubt anyone thought there was.

5 days ago
11/1/06

I work in the corporate world and there is no way corporate executives have an IQ that high.

5 days ago
3/25/14

Attorneys get paid more than nuclear engineers and physicists so it's not so dumb to go into that field over the ladder.

5 days ago
2/25/06

So is this list factoring IQ/Money = a rating? IE, an average Surgeon has a 130 IQ, but makes 400k so that boosts his adjusted IQ to 234?

5 days ago
5/18/11

#34 checking in.

5 days ago
4/13/12
player101 -

So is this list factoring IQ/Money = a rating? IE, an average Surgeon has a 130 IQ, but makes 400k so that boosts his adjusted IQ to 234?

Not completely sure, but it sounds like they assumed a paralegal has an average iq of 100 and pegged that iq to the average paraleagal salary and extrapolated on iq based on a normal distribution of salaries.  So, if the average salary is 1 std dev above a paralegals, that person must have an iq of 1 std dev higher, or 115.

It sounds like shit ive thought up when i was stoned drifting off to sleep.

5 days ago
4/12/11

This list seems pretty fucky.

5 days ago
3/14/04
that list is not a list of IQs, it's a list of incomes. Income and IQ can often have an inverse correlation.

From the article -

"After reading multiple comments critiquing the post for the same thing, it’s clear that I did a poor job of explaining what the table purports to show. It’s not supposed to be an exact measure of IQ by profession by any means, as it is based entirely on average annual income figures. In other words, it’s an income table with the values converted to IQ scores (and thus, as silly girl points out, it’s a bit of a mislabeling on my part, although that is the point–to get an instinctive feel for how related IQ and income are at the career level).

As Saint Louis notes, physicists and astronomers are surely understated, while physicians and surgeons are overstated. Some of that, again, is a result of the prerequisite training required to enter those medical fields, and some is a result of the full workload and working conditions doctors and surgeons face relative to that of astronomers or chemical engineers."
5 days ago
3/14/04
mjm345 - 

At our BJJ school I have legitimately mistaken two “normal” people for mildly retarded and both turned out to be attorneys. 

One guy wore his jockstrap/cup outside his pants. 

The second guy asked in what scenario it would be appropriate to roll at an opponent like we practiced (front rolls during warmups).

When I used to do IT consulting, I had a lot of law firms as clients. My interactions with many of them led me to believe that the passing the bar exam must be easier than graduating from bartending school.