OtherGround Forums BREAKING: LMPD Brett Hankison Charged 3 counts..

27 days ago
1/12/07
GladiatorGannon - 

The timing on this is rather strange. The announcement was supposed to come out days ago. I wonder if the grand jury initially came up with a no bill, and were convinced to change it by the threat of more intense rioting?

Ukraine shit dropped today.

27 days ago
7/29/13
GladiatorGannon -
MojoSoDope - 
GladiatorGannon -
MojoSoDope - 

That dumb ass lawyer just hyped up the protesters. He got them all riled up and now they are screaming they didn't get justice so no peace

You're assuming that this wasn't his goal. We've been loaded with activist DAs that are actually trying to crash the system. Heck the Minnesota DA blocked the release of the full bodycam video which would have quelled most of the riots before they even happened. We only got to see it because eventually a foreign newspaper payed someone to sneak into the court house in the middle of the night and make a copy. The prosecutor even scheduled the trial for the beginning of riot season next year.

I didn't assume that. He intentionally riled them up. He was saying that it's outrageous after 400 years of suffering that this still happens and that there was no justice and he's seen people charged with more for less. He was trying to piss them off.

My apologies, I was referring to your comment calling him a dumbass. He would be a dumbass if he wanted peace and safety. I he wants this response, it's a clever move.

Before he started talking to them they had no idea what was going on. They didn't know if those charges were bad or good. Then he told everyone that they werent good enough and every based there reaction off that. 

27 days ago
1/13/04

Let those who want to riot and send in the guard and restore order. If law and order is not restored via riots, they will only get worse and more frequent..

27 days ago
3/23/07

In Kentucky, Wanton Endangerment is listed as a D felony. Charges are punishable for one to five years with fines of up to $10,000.

The Commonwealth's first degree Wanton Endangerment law is found in KRS 508.060 and is defined as follows, "A person is guilty of wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he wantonly engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person."

In Hankison's termination letter, acting chief Schroeder said Hankison violated LMPD standard operating procedures when he "blindly" fired ten rounds into Taylor's apartment while executing a no-knock search warrant March 13.

27 days ago
1/1/01
baj54 -

So your saying we should make sure to have popcorn and frosty cold adult beverages on hand? 

Few shots of Gin as well

27 days ago
1/1/01

Other streamers

27 days ago
8/29/09
GladiatorGannon -
jcblass - But the police officer was charged, so why would they riot? Did they want a stiffer charge? I am confused. I could understand riots if the Grand Jury decided not to pursue anything. However, that's not the case.

Why is the black community upset (other than their usual destructive ways).

There would have been riots if they came back with anything less than murder charges for every officer involved.

You actually think that would stop a damn thing?

27 days ago
1/13/04

^ Haha. A guy named Poseidon just posted in the above video "This might be the most white people on this block in the past two decades"

27 days ago
1/1/01

One former officer was indicted. Two other officers who fired shots were not charged.

A grand jury indicted a former Louisville police officer on Wednesday for wanton endangerment during a botched drug raid that led to the death of Breonna Taylor in March. No charges were announced against the other two officers who fired shots, and no one was charged for causing her death.

The three-count indictment concerns Brett Hankison, a detective at the time, who fired into the sliding glass patio door and window of Ms. Taylor’s apartment building, both of which were covered with blinds, in violation of a department policy that requires officers to have a line of sight. 

He is the only one of the three officers who was dismissed from the force, with a termination letter stating that he showed “an extreme indifference to the value of human life.”

In a news conference following the announcement of the grand jury’s decision, Kentucky’s attorney general, Daniel Cameron, said, “The decision before my office is not to decide if the loss of Breonna Taylor’s life was a tragedy — the answer to that question is unequivocally yes,” he said.

27 days ago
1/1/01

He later added, “I know that not everyone will be satisfied. Our job is to present the facts to the grand jury, and the grand jury then applies the facts,” he said, adding: “If we simply act on outrage, there is no justice — mob justice is not justice. Justice sought by violence is not justice. It just becomes revenge.”

The decision came after more than 100 days of protests and a monthslong investigation into the death of Ms. Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency room technician who was shot five times in the hallway of her apartment by officers executing a search warrant.

27 days ago
1/1/01

Because the officers did not shoot first — it was the young woman’s boyfriend who opened fire; he has said he mistook the police for intruders — many legal experts had thought it unlikely the officers would be indicted in her death.

Ms. Taylor’s name and image have become part of a national movement over racial injustice, with celebrities writing open letters and erecting billboards demanding that the white officers be criminally charged for the death of a young Black woman. City and state officials feared that a grand jury decision not to prosecute the officers would inflame a city that has been roiled by demonstrations that have sometimes turned violent.

27 days ago
12/10/09
Damien8003 - Hankinson charged because he went around and fired through sliding glass door and rounds went into apartment next to Taylors apartment.

Thanks for clarifying. This is what I wasn’t getting. 

27 days ago
12/10/09

27 days ago
3/23/07
uniquetechnique - 

Because the officers did not shoot first — it was the young woman’s boyfriend who opened fire; he has said he mistook the police for intruders — many legal experts had thought it unlikely the officers would be indicted in her death.

Ms. Taylor’s name and image have become part of a national movement over racial injustice, with celebrities writing open letters and erecting billboards demanding that the white officers be criminally charged for the death of a young Black woman. City and state officials feared that a grand jury decision not to prosecute the officers would inflame a city that has been roiled by demonstrations that have sometimes turned violent.

This is why no-knock warrants for most situations are a terrible idea.

If you break into my house violently and without warning and don't identify yourself or I somehow didn't hear you, I can easily see this happening to me.

27 days ago
1/1/01
Legit questions, hoping answers can back up with sources:

1) Is it true the police knocked first, and the boyfriend shot THROUGH the door, or was the door already open?

2) Why were police there to begin with? I know they had a warrant, but what was their reason for being there that night?

I'm hoping for answers based on fact, or as close as you can get, not conjecture, because I legit don't know, just very curious.
27 days ago
5/11/08
jcblass - But the police officer was charged, so why would they riot? Did they want a stiffer charge? I am confused. I could understand riots if the Grand Jury decided not to pursue anything. However, that's not the case.

They wanted murder charges for every officer. Instead they got wanton endagermant for one officer, who from the sounds of it didn't even shoot Taylor. In fact, the shooting of Taylor didn't result in any charges. He was charged for accidentally shooting into a nearby apartment. When it actually goes to trial he will probably get off. 

The DA also mentioned that although it was a no knock warrant, a civilian witness testified that they did, in fact, knock and announce themselves. Taylor's boyfriend shot first, hit an officer (people had been speculating that he was hit by one of his colleagues), and then they returned fire. He basically destroyed the entire narrative around the event. People won't care though and they'll burn shit down.

27 days ago
1/1/01
saglv -
uniquetechnique - 

This is why no-knock warrants for most situations are a terrible idea.

If you break into my house violently and without warning and don't identify yourself or I somehow didn't hear you, I can easily see this happening to me.

I agree. I’m almost certain this will change in a lot of departments.

27 days ago
2/19/14
GladiatorGannon -

The timing on this is rather strange. The announcement was supposed to come out days ago. I wonder if the grand jury initially came up with a no bill, and were convinced to change it by the threat of more intense rioting?

The AG said his office did their last interview Friday and grand jury got the case Monday morning and completed this morning. Never had any dealings with a GJ, but surprised it only took 2 days 

27 days ago
5/11/08
wrongaboutVitali - Legit questions, hoping answers can back up with sources:

1) Is it true the police knocked first, and the boyfriend shot THROUGH the door, or was the door already open?

2) Why were police there to begin with? I know they had a warrant, but what was their reason for being there that night?

I'm hoping for answers based on fact, or as close as you can get, not conjecture, because I legit don't know, just very curious.

They opened the door, one officer entered and was shot. The DA provided this info in his press conference just now.

As for your second question, they had reason to believe she was involved in a drug operation.

27 days ago
1/1/01
ShortElbowInTheClinch - 

So now cops are expected to follow rules and procedure in the middle of a gunfight. Got it.  Very reasonable.  

Were there shots fired from inside?  Or was it just police firing inside FROM the outside?

27 days ago
2/19/14
pbody -
wrongaboutVitali - Legit questions, hoping answers can back up with sources:

They opened the door, one officer entered and was shot. The DA provided this info in his press conference just now.

As for your second question, they had reason to believe she was involved in a drug operation.

As to the 2nd question, the police had 5 search warrants to serve, one being to catch the ringleader of the drug ring. They wanted to serve them all at the same time, as close as they could get. They actually only served 4 of the warrants

Edited: 27 days ago
2/19/14
Samoa -
ShortElbowInTheClinch - 

So now cops are expected to follow rules and procedure in the middle of a gunfight. Got it.  Very reasonable.  

Were there shots fired from inside?  Or was it just police firing inside FROM the outside?

2 cops breached the front door, with mattingly entering 1st. See the 2 standing at the end of the hall, with walker pointing a 9mm at him.

Walker fired 1st, and hit mattingly in the leg, and he returned fire

The officer who was charged stayed outside and fired blindly though a door and window, with several rounds going into the next apt with 3 occupants

27 days ago
11/5/19
GladiatorGannon - 
jcblass - But the police officer was charged, so why would they riot? Did they want a stiffer charge? I am confused. I could understand riots if the Grand Jury decided not to pursue anything. However, that's not the case.

There would have been riots if they came back with anything less than murder charges for every officer involved.

There would be riots if he was charged with murder 1, just like with Chauvin and Floyd. Nothing is ever enough.

That’s why I don’t get this whole movement and don’t see an end. They don’t know what they want. I still see “Justice for George Floyd” stickers on helmets and on NBA apparel. The officer was immediately fired, arrested, and charged with murder. That’s the definition of justice. There’s literally nothing else that can be done at this point.

BLm is all over the NFL, yet Kaepernick is bitching it’s not enough or it’s fake.

It’ll never be enough.
27 days ago
2/19/14
Corn Pop -
GladiatorGannon - 

There would be riots if he was charged with murder 1, just like with Chauvin and Floyd. Nothing is ever enough.

That’s why I don’t get this whole movement and don’t see an end. They don’t know what they want. I still see “Justice for George Floyd” stickers on helmets and on NBA apparel. The officer was immediately fired, arrested, and charged with murder. That’s the definition of justice. There’s literally nothing else that can be done at this point.

BLm is all over the NFL, yet Kaepernick is bitching it’s not enough or it’s fake.

It’ll never be enough.

Many protesters/rioters aren't there for Floyd or Taylor. They are there just for anarchy and to fuck shit up 

27 days ago
8/23/11
GladiatorGannon - 
SpunQ - 

Can someone explain to me what i missed, what is all this about.

ELI5

cheers.

He's one of the cops from the Breonna Taylor shooting. The others returned fire through the doorway. He went to the window and attempted enfilade.

enfilade

ill admit.. i had to look it up. what makes him more guilty?

enfilade -to rake or be in a position to rake with gunfire in a lengthwise direction