OtherGround Forums Bass Lead singers are the best

8/14/19 12:58 PM
1/1/01

Kip Winger

/thread

8/14/19 1:01 PM
11/17/10

i could "play" guitar and drums, simple bass, typical shit

and i could never understand how lots of these bass guys sing while playing more than basic shit

i personally cannot stand sting's voice , but they way he was able to simultaneously play non standard bass while singing melodies that didnt exactly match the bass notes is incredible to me

8/14/19 1:45 PM
8/11/05
John Cooper
8/14/19 2:20 PM
5/10/04
The Diet Butcher - 

Did OP just say Geddy Lee is a good singer?

"WE ARE THE PRIESTS..."
8/14/19 3:31 PM
12/17/06
southcraw -
Altofsky -

Gabbi Garcia - Type O

This is the funniest and most accurate comparison I’ve ever read.

I would pay her to walk out to I Don't Wanna Be Me lol

8/14/19 3:35 PM
1/1/01

Gene Simmons

8/14/19 6:01 PM
11/18/11

James Dewar

8/14/19 6:29 PM
5/4/10
Altofsky -
southcraw -
Altofsky -

Gabbi Garcia - Type O

VU for Altofsky for making me lol and liking Type O

8/14/19 7:31 PM
1/12/15

Lemmy

8/14/19 7:34 PM
10/25/12
onepunchJD -
SickEye - 
John Wick -

Les CLaypool

I wish he would put together a side band where he DOESN'T sing. Him and Tom Morello could make some funky shit.

This.

Love Claypool, Primus, and all his other projects.

But if we're building a supergroup with Les on bass, I wouldn't have him handling the majority of vocals -- not that he couldn't jump in on occasion.

Morello would be a good choice.
I really dig Larry Lalonde though. He is underrated IMO. They could do something funky with a singer -- maybe someone like Mike Patton.
John Frusciante woukd ve another good choice.

Have you heard letterhead?

Little less Les lead vocals

8/14/19 7:36 PM
9/1/07
Cronos
8/14/19 7:40 PM
7/18/11
psillypico -
onepunchJD -
SickEye - 
John Wick -

Les CLaypool

I wish he would put together a side band where he DOESN'T sing. Him and Tom Morello could make some funky shit.

This.

But if we're building a supergroup with Les on bass, I wouldn't have him handling the majority of vocals -- not that he couldn't jump in on occasion.

I really dig Larry Lalonde though. He is underrated IMO. They could do something funky with a singer -- maybe someone like Mike Patton.

Are you talking about Oysterhead? They’re one album is great, and Les does about half the singing. 

8/14/19 7:50 PM
10/29/12

Any Thundercat fans out there?

8/15/19 5:20 AM
10/25/12
SickEye -
psillypico -
onepunchJD -
SickEye - 
John Wick -

Les CLaypool

This.

Are you talking about Oysterhead? They’re one album is great, and Les does about half the singing. 

Yes I meant oysterhead

Damn autocorrect

8/15/19 5:35 AM
4/15/16
jbc -

Gene Simmons

Chink in the armor.

30 days ago
12/13/15
Ghost Of Don Logan -

I need that fucking bass

Edited: 30 days ago
12/17/06
ghostboner -
Altofsky -
southcraw -
Altofsky -

Gabbi Garcia - Type O

I was never huge into that type of metal, but they were iconic during their time. Even among the other sides of the boroughs people always respected Type O. The Vampire from Brooklyn is what everyone used to call Steele lol

And the real funny thing I just noticed... I remember all these stories about drunk hardasses trying to fight singers. Even saw some dude take a swing at Tim from VOD for no reason. But I can't remember a story about anyone trying to fight Steele lol.

30 days ago
2/2/15

Johnette Napolitano, hands down the best bassist/vocalist. No mentioned in this thread even comes close.

30 days ago
1/13/06

all you homos forgot about level motherfucking 42 yo!

29 days ago
10/29/12
GENKISUDOPWNZ -
Ghost Of Don Logan -

I need that fucking bass

It can be yours for a cool 7 Gs

29 days ago
11/18/11

28 days ago
5/4/10
Altofsky -
ghostboner -
Altofsky -
southcraw -
Altofsky -

Gabbi Garcia - Type O

I was never huge into that type of metal, but they were iconic during their time. Even among the other sides of the boroughs people always respected Type O. The Vampire from Brooklyn is what everyone used to call Steele lol

And the real funny thing I just noticed... I remember all these stories about drunk hardasses trying to fight singers. Even saw some dude take a swing at Tim from VOD for no reason. But I can't remember a story about anyone trying to fight Steele lol.

I also never heard of anyone trying to fight Pete, but you'd have to be an idiot to do that. Dude was massive, one show I saw them at in SLC he stopped mid song and grabbed a bitch from the crowd and pulled her up to the stage and told everyone in the pit to chill, they were crushing people against the stage. Then there was the obligatory ripping of the strings off of the bass at the end of the show. Thats cool though, I never heard of him being the vampire from Brooklyn & I never knew really how people back there saw/knew him. I spent a little time in the Bronx but never really talked to anyone about Type O. Would be interested to hear more stories from NY folk about that.

Also, love your kinves man. I'll buy one someday when I'm rich.