OtherGround Forums Beating Bitterness by Joel Osteen

26 days ago
8/7/19
At a church we were attending briefly the Pastor had the nerve to ask if we were aware of how we could tithe on-line and even with a text.

We said we were, but 90% of our tithing went to a Ronald McDonald House and the rest to the animal society, because God wants us to help those most in need. He just looked shocked and said ok and moved to shake someone else's hand.

Le Shat
©
26 days ago
11/15/04
BruteDion - 
Khun Kao -
Soup and Beer - 
HotSteppa - 
tajmills - Can't understand why anyone would listen to that charlatan..

How is he a charlatan?

It pretty much told you all you needed to know about him when he turned away all the people in need of someplace to stay in Houston during the flooding.  Can't have a bunch of drowing people getting his nice minstry colloseum carpet wet!  It's gotta look good when he gets on TV and begs for money.

I thought it was actually reported that the reason why he turned people away was because the church actually was flooded, too? That it made it unfit for shelter?

Or was that just his attempt at an excuse? I didn't really pay attention, tbh

That was his (or his peoples) attempt to not allow people in.

Others got mad and went to the church and took pictures, proving it was not flooded. Turns out the church or someone from the church posted photos of another time it flooded to say this time it was flooded aswell, which was a lie. 

After all the outrage they finally let people in but told them they could only stay until they find shelter somewhere else or recommended they find shelter somewhere else.

To cap it off, a news crew went down to the church after everyone was let in and they interviewed JO. He was visible bothered with all the people being there according to many who seen the interview, including myself.

Link? I'd like to see how it went down.

26 days ago
12/13/09

He's rediculous. My friend is a pastor of a really small church. Only has about 20 people to attend regularly. They still manage to give out food boxes and run a soup kitchen 4 days/week. 

I've never heard the guy talk about money.

26 days ago
1/23/14

I spy alt accounts :)

26 days ago
2/5/06
MagicMark - 
HotSteppa -

How is he a charlatan?

Il explain ... 

He is a pastor of a church that is bible based.  

Yet his teachings conflict with the word of god. He preaches inner strength and the law of attraction,  which is a big no no to what the bible says. His message isn't bad or wrong.  The problem is he's using the church and it's people to make money and run a motivational business tax free.   He cons morons into giving money for god, and he doesn't believe or teach the word of god. 

26 days ago
5/14/06
MagicMark -
HotSteppa -

How is he a charlatan?

Il explain ... 

Yet his teachings conflict with the word of god. He preaches inner strength and the law of attraction,  which is a big no no to what the bible says. His message isn't bad or wrong.  The problem is he's using the church and it's people to make money and run a motivational business tax free.   He cons morons into giving money for god, and he doesn't believe or teach the word of god. 

Nailed it. He’s a very wealthy tax fraud abusing the separation of church and state to run a spiritual Ponzi scheme. 

26 days ago
1/7/03

The righteous gemstones starring the late John Goodman is an excellent documentary on the church groups

26 days ago
5/20/19

He also looks kind of greasy and scummy like when he’s alone in his bedroom he puts on thigh high stockings and watches videos of pigs being butchered while choking himself with a belt and smashing baby chicks with a hammer. 

26 days ago
2/5/06
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

He also looks kind of greasy and scummy like when he’s alone in his bedroom he puts on thigh high stockings and watches videos of pigs being butchered while choking himself with a belt and smashing baby chicks with a hammer. 

That's quite the visual lol
Edited: 26 days ago
10/2/12

25 days ago
1/3/18

How funny it is that when these “Men of god” want money they appeal to people, but for the people in need, they have to appeal to a god.

The art of the con

25 days ago
6/27/18

Lol conning on top of conning. This guy happens to look like Joel Osteen so he tries to crash a huge Joel Osteen event at the Forum in Inglewood. It almost works.

25 days ago
10/1/02

I actually like his sermons becuase of the fact that they are more practical, and not ashamed to tell you that you can be happy, wealthy, successful because God wants you to be. 

I like that he says that if you have bummer friends, scrap them! lol He actually does in one of his YT videos. He teaches that if you want to be happy, successful, hang out with happy successful people. Don't be jealous or envious or hateful of those who are successful. Admire them for their success. Congratulate them and be cool. He talked about "act like you've been there before" and instructs not to be "star struck" and act like you belong when exposed to successful people etc.

How is this wrong? Maybe it aint exactly what the Bible teaches, but it's still very positive and empowering. And he does not ask for money. Yeah, you see ads for his books but so what. What's wrong with that? They are not scams; they are actual self help books for those interested. Why can't he make money out of his advice? He does quote bible verses and connects them to the teachings so maybe it's not exactly Christian bible study but it's positive advice.

And he does not ask for money. You can watch his latest show on regular free TV Sunday nights  All of his Sunday sermons go on his channel so you can watch again for free. Yes he gets paid so yeah, maybe against Jesus' teachings but the guy's gotta eat. So he's rich. That's fine with me; people give him money out of their free will. You don't have to give a dime.

Now the not allowing flood victims to use the church; that's bad.

25 days ago
10/1/02

Just watched the OP vid. I've watched this one. Those of you that criticize him; how the fack was this bad?? You obviously didn't watch. Listen to it and tell me how "Let go of bitterness because it's contaminating your life" is a bad message.

25 days ago
6/27/18

beatbum, do you consider yourself a Christian? Do you know the words of Christ?

Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

2 Timothy 4:3 "For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear."

25 days ago
1/3/18
beatbum -

I actually like his sermons becuase of the fact that they are more practical, and not ashamed to tell you that you can be happy, wealthy, successful because God wants you to be. 

I like that he says that if you have bummer friends, scrap them! lol He actually does in one of his YT videos. He teaches that if you want to be happy, successful, hang out with happy successful people. Don't be jealous or envious or hateful of those who are successful. Admire them for their success. Congratulate them and be cool. He talked about "act like you've been there before" and instructs not to be "star struck" and act like you belong when exposed to successful people etc.

How is this wrong? Maybe it aint exactly what the Bible teaches, but it's still very positive and empowering. And he does not ask for money. Yeah, you see ads for his books but so what. What's wrong with that? They are not scams; they are actual self help books for those interested. Why can't he make money out of his advice? He does quote bible verses and connects them to the teachings so maybe it's not exactly Christian bible study but it's positive advice.

And he does not ask for money. You can watch his latest show on regular free TV Sunday nights  All of his Sunday sermons go on his channel so you can watch again for free. Yes he gets paid so yeah, maybe against Jesus' teachings but the guy's gotta eat. So he's rich. That's fine with me; people give him money out of their free will. You don't have to give a dime.

Now the not allowing flood victims to use the church; that's bad.

The irony at “scrapping your bummer friends”. That clown became wealthy by being the ultimate Bummer. He’s just trying to keep away the competition.

25 days ago
6/7/05
MagicMark - 
HotSteppa -

How is he a charlatan?

Il explain ... 

This is accurate. Evangelical Protestantism in cases like his worked its way into preaching "the prosperity gospels" which is basically an atheist self help ideology which comes with the claim that God wants us to be financially successful, which isnt defensible in learned Christian interpretation.

He could help people as a "positive mental attitude" self help guru, but he's not teaching actual Christianity other than in an incredibly lose and general sense.
25 days ago
6/7/05
Also, I think being rich as fuck probably makes it super easy to beat bitterness, so Osteen probably knows what he's talking about here.
25 days ago
10/11/18

I know a carpenter that did work at his mansion...he said the guy's wife is the rudest person he has worked for,  with good ol Joel a close second.

25 days ago
7/26/07
It's easy not to be bitter when you've conned people out of millions of dollars and now own Ferraris and private jets
25 days ago
7/26/07
mysteryman - 

I know a carpenter that did work at his mansion...he said the guy's wife is the rudest person he has worked for,  with good ol Joel a close second.

He wouldn't open the doors of his mega church for people during a hurricane

Mighty Christian of him
25 days ago
10/10/05

I think of him more as a motivational speaker. I enjoy his messages & they've helped me get through my divorce & keep my spirits up the past year. I also think he declined the pastor salary for the church. 

Edited: 25 days ago
7/26/07

If he was doing exactly what he does, as a motivational speaker, without tying it to religion...i wouldn't have a problem with him

He uses the God and Church angle to 1) get tax exempt status for what is essentilly his own for-profit business and 2) defraud religious rubes out of their money

25 days ago
7/26/07

25 days ago
3/18/02

I dont understand how even one rational adult could fall for this garbage

its utterly astounding to me