OtherGround Forums Biden to OWN the debates?

9/23/20 3:30 PM
4/3/20
Thage - 
Whambo - 
JimmersonzGlove -

Debates are the most overrated thing in the election cycle. Even sarah palin did fine. 

I tend to agree they know the topics and can reasonably guess the questions. Memorize a few talking points that youve already been using for the past year and youre fine. In a one on one debate i think its easier because you aren't fighting for time. 

Despite the fact that republicans have hyped how out of it Joe is, unless it's all been some bizarre act he drops at the opening of the debate theres a decent chance we see fuzzy responses from Joe. It seems entirely plausible that if he struggles to spit out prepared lines, prepared questions/answers, softball interviews, that actually having to answer a question he doesn't know ahead of time or refuting something Trump says that he could stumble like we've seen so many times recently.

who knows, he may say something as ridiculous as a covid-19 "hardly affects anyone"
9/23/20 3:59 PM
2/22/09
CavemanDave -
yabadaba -
CavemanDave -
yabadaba -
thedogofdogs -
Briscoe -

My guess is that he's known the questions for some time now. 

^

This might make sense if there wasnt already a track record of this sort of thing happening.

Can you elaborate?

Obviously we are talking about presidential elections here. Nobody cares if the democrats want to mess with their own primary by giving one candidate (Hillary) debate questions because they don't want another candidate (Bernie) to to represent their party.

Yea because the same corrupt media companies fucking with the debate question in the primaries would  never happen if they were running against the opposing party, which they treat with the utmost respect and reverence...right?

Give me a fucking break.  The corporate press is one of the least trusted institutions in America for a reason.

Of course there are people who would leak the questions to Trump or Biden if they could.

But there's a big difference between a presidential election and a party choosing it's candidate.

Someone like Democratic political strategist Donna Brazile is not getting anywhere near the debate questions for a presidential election.

9/23/20 4:47 PM
3/2/09

I wouldn't doubt it.  When pressed he seems to come out of his dementia. We'll see.

9/23/20 4:57 PM
11/9/10
saglv -

We'll see. I thought Biden would get absolutely murdered by Ryan in the VP debates, but that didn't end up happening. Then again that was 8 years ago.

Ryan was awful in 2012. 

9/23/20 5:25 PM
12/2/05

You never know with this stuff. I wouldn't be surprised either way though the most likely is both sides declaring victory after some boring talking points bs. 

9/23/20 5:36 PM
1/1/01
I am totally bracing for a humiliating loss.

totally.
9/23/20 6:49 PM
3/18/12

LOLOL

9/23/20 6:53 PM
1/1/01
Bend The Knee - 

He did fine in the Democratic debates

His cognitive abilities have been in serious decline since the democratic debates.  Unless they pump him full of adderall, caffiene, and nicotine he is toast.

9/23/20 8:28 PM
2/9/09
Soup and Beer -
Bend The Knee - 

He did fine in the Democratic debates

His cognitive abilities have been in serious decline since the democratic debates.  Unless they pump him full of adderall, caffiene, and nicotine he is toast.

Trump should just ask him if he's running for Senator ....

9/23/20 9:59 PM
4/27/14
saglv - 

We'll see. I thought Biden would get absolutely murdered by Ryan in the VP debates, but that didn't end up happening. Then again that was 8 years ago.

I thought Ryan took it pretty easy on him, to be honest. Trump won't. It's like the difference between a fencing match at an ivy league college and a tire-iron fight behind the Discount Tire outlet at midnight.

9/23/20 10:15 PM
4/27/14

I would suggest this strategy for Trump:

Stress, stress, stress Joe. Unhinge him early on, make him stumble.

Ignore time limits, interrupt Biden. Biden likes rules and guidelines - look at how often he meekly stopped speaking during the Dem debates and said "....and I guess my time is up, then!" or complained about how his opponents talked too long. Trump will cause him to lose his train of thought this way. The moderator may complain, but what are they going to do, shut the debate down?

When Joe makes his usual mistakes, like wildly overblown statistics, challenge him on them.

If Biden falters, do some fake sympathy. Ask the moderator if they need to stop the debate to have a doctor look at Joe. 

Bring up Hunter and his dubious activities a lot. He gets really angry when that happens.

Push him on his lack of achievement in 47 years of government service. Joe will start trying to rattle off all his achievements (which usually consist of being in the same room when something good happened), be prepared and challenge him on those. 

Question Kamalas description of him as a racist.

9/23/20 11:06 PM
1/1/01

This nigga can barely read.

9/24/20 2:28 AM
1/17/03

How the fuck can that narrative be real?

9/24/20 5:34 AM
7/12/12

Dems are SO fucking stupid....THE EXACT same gameplan as last time, but with a dementia/alzheimers patient...

If I'm Biden's campaign manager I'd make up some bullshit about Joe not debating until there is racial equality...or I'd stage a car accident, he's not going out on that debate stage, 0% chance.

9/24/20 6:13 AM
3/18/14

There's going to be some malarkey

9/24/20 6:16 AM
1/1/01

Nope. The narrative is going to be Trump was an asshole for being so direct in the debate!

9/24/20 6:16 AM
5/12/08

It’s gonna be a shit show, Joe can’t speak and Trump just makes shit up as he goes. I’m ready for this bullshit to be over.

9/24/20 6:18 AM
6/11/13
Johnny Salami -

To put forward a candidate with early dementia as the democrats top candidate shows how embarrassing liberals are 

They know they can pull the strings. I think AOC even said as much. All part of the plan for the Harris administration 

9/24/20 6:22 AM
6/11/13
Mutant -

They will pump him so full of drugs to make him seem coherent and energetic! 

What if he died on the debate stage due to the drugs?

9/24/20 6:23 AM
6/11/13
yabadaba -
thedogofdogs -
Briscoe -

My guess is that he's known the questions for some time now. 

^

Thats pretty funny, vote up

9/24/20 8:05 AM
4/3/20
jscorbett -

Nope. The narrative is going to be Trump was an asshole for being so direct in the debate!

What a bullshit narrative for the guy whose debate tactic is name calling. The media is so unfair with their narratives!

9/24/20 8:17 AM
6/1/07
Bill Mahoney - 

Most the media will SAY that Biden won the debates yes. But he will not win the debates.
It's like election night. Trump will won & most the media will say "too close to call- we need to get more of mail in votes and there have been some accusations of voter suppression in key states that we gotta clear up before we play trucks victory speech."
Then they'll recount votes until they have enough to beat trump.
They will declare Biden the winner. Promise.
That's even if he asks u to vote him to congress again or shits himself

^ This

They said Hillary wiped the floor with him after every one of their debates, but all anyone remembers of those debates is Trump's one liners. Trump CLEARLY won those debates in terms of memorable moments, yet the press unanimously said he failed miserably. The same will happen with Biden.

However, I do think there is reason to be concerned in the Trump camp. They have set the bar RIDICULOUSLY low for Biden in terms of what people expect out him. If he is anything short of a total fucking disaster, he will exceed expectations. That could be a problem, as people might start questioning whether the swiss-cheese brain dementia Joe narrative being pushed by the Trump campaign holds up, and might lead to backlash if fair-minded people judge it to be bullshit.
9/24/20 8:27 AM
4/21/09
EFM -
Fighting -

I was caught off guard last week. I thought mumbly joe couldn't finish a single sentence up until then. I was wrong.  He was doing a live q and a and spoke coherently for a good long time. Made a pretty fair point, though I disagree with, on social security tax deferment.  He gave a long and well thought out argument. 

Surprised me.  Cause I usually just see his fumbling, mumbling, rantings of an old man with early-onset dementia that we see in tiny clips. 

I still think he will be slaughtered by trump, but seeing him talk live in the debate may shock some that he isn't completely switched off yet. 

I don't think he's as bad off as social media makes him out to be.  I think he'll give djt a run for his money

I don't see social media making him out to be any more incoherent than what he is when watching his actual live speeches. Dude is a mess.

9/24/20 8:29 AM
6/1/07
The Stewed Owl - 

I would suggest this strategy for Trump:

Stress, stress, stress Joe. Unhinge him early on, make him stumble.

Ignore time limits, interrupt Biden. Biden likes rules and guidelines - look at how often he meekly stopped speaking during the Dem debates and said "....and I guess my time is up, then!" or complained about how his opponents talked too long. Trump will cause him to lose his train of thought this way. The moderator may complain, but what are they going to do, shut the debate down?

When Joe makes his usual mistakes, like wildly overblown statistics, challenge him on them.

If Biden falters, do some fake sympathy. Ask the moderator if they need to stop the debate to have a doctor look at Joe. 

Bring up Hunter and his dubious activities a lot. He gets really angry when that happens.

Push him on his lack of achievement in 47 years of government service. Joe will start trying to rattle off all his achievements (which usually consist of being in the same room when something good happened), be prepared and challenge him on those. 

Question Kamalas description of him as a racist.

Agreed

Joe tends to get flustered easily and make HUGE mistakes when he is agitated. Trumps #1 goal should be to get under his skin and piss him off, leading to a 'look fat' moment where Biden challenges him to something silly like a pushup contest, or a 'WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?' moment where Biden loses his shit and starts screaming incoherently, or the best possible outcome, Biden crosses the stage and tries to get into an old man fight with him. At the very least, Trump should try to jar Biden into a "you know, look, here's the thing" moment where Biden completely loses his train of thought and starts speaking in a word salad.
9/24/20 8:32 AM
4/3/20
Steve4192 - 
Bill Mahoney - 

Most the media will SAY that Biden won the debates yes. But he will not win the debates.
It's like election night. Trump will won & most the media will say "too close to call- we need to get more of mail in votes and there have been some accusations of voter suppression in key states that we gotta clear up before we play trucks victory speech."
Then they'll recount votes until they have enough to beat trump.
They will declare Biden the winner. Promise.
That's even if he asks u to vote him to congress again or shits himself

^ This

They said Hillary wiped the floor with him after every one of their debates, but all anyone remembers of those debates is Trump's one liners. Trump CLEARLY won those debates in terms of memorable moments, yet the press unanimously said he failed miserably. The same will happen with Biden.

However, I do think there is reason to be concerned in the Trump camp. They have set the bar RIDICULOUSLY low for Biden in terms of what people expect out him. If he is anything short of a total fucking disaster, he will exceed expectations. That could be a problem, as people might start questioning whether the swiss-cheese brain dementia Joe narrative being pushed by the Trump campaign holds up, and might lead to backlash if fair-minded people judge it to be bullshit.

absolutely. who needs a depth of understanding of issues and a coherent policy when people remember one liners and that's what matters.

#trumpnation