OtherGround Forums Biggest Band With Least Radio Support

6 days ago
2/16/04

Iron Maiden is a great call. Maybe Motorhead. 

6 days ago
1/1/01

In the US maybe that Korean band BTS. People were lined up outside the stadium near me for days to get close to the stage when it opened

6 days ago
10/11/05

^Terrestrial radio & Billboard charts are both empty shells of what they used to be, so I'm thinking anything that happened after the bottom dropped out in the early 2000s is outside of the scope of the question.

6 days ago
7/27/04

Pantera,and really 99% of metal.

6 days ago
11/13/14

I don't know about when Maiden or the Grateful Dead were in their heyday, but I have heard both of them on the radio in recent years. 

I thought about Maiden when making my initial post, but didn't think about the Dead or ICP. 

Pantera gets radio play, no?

6 days ago
8/26/18
Stinkylicious -

Going to see ICP tonight in Dallas. 

SN checks out. 

6 days ago
2/5/06

Rush deserves a mention

6 days ago
2/7/09

I Came to say techn9ne.

But icp fans were a large % of his fan base. So they probably win.

6 days ago
7/12/15
Root12 -
StankieEdgar -

Slayer, NOFX too

Nofx isn’t in the conversation. Not even close. 

idk they're pretty popular and I've never heard them on the radio 

I've heard Slayer, Iron Maiden, and the Grateful Dead on the radio before. 

6 days ago
6/30/09
Stinkylicious -

Going to see ICP tonight in Dallas. 

Didn't know they were touring!

How was the show?

6 days ago
10/21/09

Cannibal Corpse

6 days ago
2/4/06
OblongBox -

Cannibal Corpse

Even though I ask my son if his mom fucked Corpsegrinder behind my back every time I look at him... Not even in the universe.

Also it makes me sad what kind of radio stations y'all must have had from 80 to about 2005. Slayer? Maiden? Motorhead? You seriously never heard Ace of Spades on the radio?

I think The Dead, Phish and ICP are the clear winners so far. It's kind of weird too... All have almost cult like fans, and all could have had entire festivals built on their fanbases alone.

6 days ago
7/4/08

Biggest? All time it’s gotta be Kiss. 

6 days ago
4/23/14
Ghost Of Don Logan -

Clutch

Agreed 

6 days ago
3/1/13

Pantera. A DJ here in the Bay Area got fired when he insisted on playing Walk and basically signed off from the station with it. The same station had their tents up at every metal concert but didn't play it. That is why terrestrial  radio is dead!!

6 days ago
2/27/12

QOTSA.

6 days ago
5/4/14

Before the release of “One” Metallica had to be the biggest band ever without radio play.  

6 days ago
11/11/11

Joy division got big when curtis killed himself. Definitely had a following though in the club scene.

6 days ago
3/15/15
It's really hard to compare bands of yesteryear with today. Radio was one of the only outlets for music, both commercial and college radio. I first heard Metallica on college radio back in about 1983-ish.

Radio is not predomionant in marketing or popularity of bands today.
6 days ago
12/14/07
Straydog24 -

Before the release of “One” Metallica had to be the biggest band ever without radio play.  

I was thinking of the same thing.  Same with maiden and rush.   I never heard them on the radio in the 80s.  

5 days ago
7/12/15
The Regulator -

QOTSA.

They're among my favorite bands and they definitely get played on the radio. 

5 days ago
10/11/05

Gonna get specific & make my case here:

If you're measuring "most album sales without a hit single", that's Iron Maiden, who never had a Top 100 much less a Top 40 single.

If you're measuring "most concert revenue with the fewest hit singles", that's the Grateful Dead, & it's not even close; they were 2nd in line in concert revenue (behind the Rolling Stones) in their last decade together, with only the one Top 40 single (Touch of Grey, late in their career), & 5 other Top 100 charts.

But the question asked was about radio *support*, which renders singles analysis moot. Both these band have garnered plenty of play on Rock stations over the years; "Truckin'" was a daily staple of AOR & AM Gold formats for the better part of two decades.

Meanwhile, N.W.A.'s debut album was number one in the country with *zero* radio support. Most Urban formats were still refusing to play rap well into the '90s & Top 40 was only doing bubblegum; in 1988, the most you could hope for if you didn't have a novelty show like Red Alert in your area was Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, Kid N Play, or Run DMC. Mainstream radio was unwilling to touch gangsta rap until Snoop half a decade later.

5 days ago
2/16/04

Wow. A half a decade later. A whole 5 years?

5 days ago
3/31/14
BarkLikeADog -

Gonna get specific & make my case here:

If you're measuring "most album sales without a hit single", that's Iron Maiden, who never had a Top 100 much less a Top 40 single.

If you're measuring "most concert revenue with the fewest hit singles", that's the Grateful Dead, & it's not even close; they were 2nd in line in concert revenue (behind the Rolling Stones) in their last decade together, with only the one Top 40 single (Touch of Grey, late in their career), & 5 other Top 100 charts.

But the question asked was about radio *support*, which renders singles analysis moot. Both these band have garnered plenty of play on Rock stations over the years; "Truckin'" was a daily staple of AOR & AM Gold formats for the better part of two decades.

Meanwhile, N.W.A.'s debut album was number one in the country with *zero* radio support. Most Urban formats were still refusing to play rap well into the '90s & Top 40 was only doing bubblegum; in 1988, the most you could hope for if you didn't have a novelty show like Red Alert in your area was Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, Kid N Play, or Run DMC. Mainstream radio was unwilling to touch gangsta rap until Snoop half a decade later.

I think express your self was a radio hit

5 days ago
10/11/05

"I think express your self was a radio hit"

Pretty sure Chin Check was their only airplay chart, in 2000.