OtherGround Forums Biggest Band With Least Radio Support

12 days ago
10/11/05

"Wow. A half a decade later. A whole 5 years?"

What's your point? That I wasted a few extra characters? That's true of every word in every post on this forum.

12 days ago
11/3/14

Electric Wizard.

12 days ago
3/11/12

Disturbed never get any radio play here except for the sound of silence

No popular radio station plays any Metallica since the black album.... It's either enter sandman or nothing else matters

12 days ago
2/16/04
BarkLikeADog -

"Wow. A half a decade later. A whole 5 years?"

What's your point? That I wasted a few extra characters? That's true of every word in every post on this forum.

My point is that a half decade is no time at all. 

12 days ago
11/13/14
BarkLikeADog -

Gonna get specific & make my case here:

If you're measuring "most album sales without a hit single", that's Iron Maiden, who never had a Top 100 much less a Top 40 single.

If you're measuring "most concert revenue with the fewest hit singles", that's the Grateful Dead, & it's not even close; they were 2nd in line in concert revenue (behind the Rolling Stones) in their last decade together, with only the one Top 40 single (Touch of Grey, late in their career), & 5 other Top 100 charts.

But the question asked was about radio *support*, which renders singles analysis moot. Both these band have garnered plenty of play on Rock stations over the years; "Truckin'" was a daily staple of AOR & AM Gold formats for the better part of two decades.

Meanwhile, N.W.A.'s debut album was number one in the country with *zero* radio support. Most Urban formats were still refusing to play rap well into the '90s & Top 40 was only doing bubblegum; in 1988, the most you could hope for if you didn't have a novelty show like Red Alert in your area was Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, Kid N Play, or Run DMC. Mainstream radio was unwilling to touch gangsta rap until Snoop half a decade later.

You are right about all of the late 80s, early 90s rap. You could put Public Enemy in there also. 

Another genre with much less popularity is Hardcore. Bands like Sick Of It All and more recently Hatebreed have left their mark.

There are countless metal bands that could be mentioned as well, but none are super popular.

12 days ago
11/21/19
EasyTapper -

Grateful Dead?  Don’t get much bigger and had very little commercial air play. 

This without a doubt.

12 days ago
3/27/09
EKPOGI -

Pantera,and really 99% of metal.

Pantera was all over the radio and mtv

12 days ago
12/11/02
Little Feat
12 days ago
4/21/10

Not the biggest but I have always wondered why the Deftones don't get more air time. 

12 days ago
1/1/01

Phish....those guys call sell 100,000 tickets no problem, will never hear a song in the radio....p.s. I can't stand them

11 days ago
2/5/06

I'd say Grateful Dead is #1

Like I said earlier though, Rush had a 5 decade career with packed stadium shows right up to the end, they had 1 top 40 single

11 days ago
9/14/03
johnsonbarr - Iron Maiden had very little radio exposure in the 1980's. Name a better collection of concert t-shirts and a bigger than life mascot that was part of every show. Master marketers. They have been global juggernauts since the early 80's.

Was gonna say. They were huge in the 80s and nary a mention on radio or tv.
11 days ago
10/17/08
Never got into the Grateful Dead but it's true they have a cult following, and outside of "A Touch of Gray" you didn't hear them on the radio much.

I have always wondered if their live concert popularity was created from the music or more by the atmosphere. That get high, hang out, fuck, and get high again festival atmosphere that is can be so intoxicating.

By the way, Metallica would have been the obvious answer before the Black album. The only time I heard Metallica on the radio in the 80's was on the local college radio station. I found the station about half way through Creeping Death and thought I was in heaven. That was the only time.
Edited: 11 days ago
2/5/06
johnsonbarr - Never got into the Grateful Dead but it's true they have a cult following, and outside of "A Touch of Gray" you didn't hear them on the radio much.

I have always wondered if their live concert popularity was created from the music or more by the atmosphere. That get high, hang out, fuck, and get high again festival atmosphere that is can be so intoxicating.

By the way, Metallica would have been the obvious answer before the Black album. The only time I heard Metallica on the radio in the 80's was on the local college radio station. I found the station about half way through Creeping Death and thought I was in heaven. That was the only time.

But now Metallica is every other damn song, on our hard rock and c l a s s i c rock stations

11 days ago
10/11/05

"My point is that a half decade is no time at all. "

And? So what? Beatles were only together 10 years. N.W.A. broke up before anybody had them in regular rotation on the air, current recurrent or retro, & still managed to be #1. Nobody else has done that.

11 days ago
10/11/05

"Never got into the Grateful Dead but it's true they have a cult following, and outside of "A Touch of Gray" you didn't hear them on the radio much."

Again, "Truckin'" was in Top 100 rotation in its time & in regular rotation on multiple formats for decades. 4 other singles had top 100 play in their day, as well.

11 days ago
10/11/05

"Rush had a 5 decade career with packed stadium shows right up to the end, they had 1 top 40 single"

Maiden wins by that measure with zero.

11 days ago
11/21/19
BarkLikeADog -

"Never got into the Grateful Dead but it's true they have a cult following, and outside of "A Touch of Gray" you didn't hear them on the radio much."

Again, "Truckin'" was in Top 100 rotation in its time & in regular rotation on multiple formats for decades. 4 other singles had top 100 play in their day, as well.

Truckin', Casey Jones, U.S.Blues, Sugar Magnolia, Bertha, Friend of the Devil amongst others got air play in their time on album oriented FM stations. They weren't Billboard hits but they got rotated.

3/2/11

Ween, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers... Not stadium acts mind you, and college radio did, but that's not any widespread support by radio meant here.

They all had MTV videos but apart from a very limited few Sonic Youth, Surfer songs they all got very very limited play.

11 days ago
10/17/08
BarkLikeADog - 

Forgot about Truckin'. You are right and there are probably more songs that were played but that sums up what I think of the Dead. None of their songs stick.
11 days ago
3/2/11

Ministry, maybe got Jesus Built my hotrod and New world order on the radio infrequently and that's about it.

11 days ago
3/2/11
Josh -

Phish....those guys call sell 100,000 tickets no problem, will never hear a song in the radio....p.s. I can't stand them

this is probably the answer and neither can I

11 days ago
3/2/11
CaptainWoody -

Rush deserves a mention

They got/get massive radio play in Canada obviously though so the question would have to be modified to US radio play.

11 days ago
10/17/08
ChaosOverkill - 
Josh -

this is probably the answer and neither can I

Phish is not the answer.
10/11/05

"They got/get massive radio play in Canada obviously though so the question would have to be modified to US radio play."

No it wouldn't. Rush had massive airplay in the US as well; they just didn't sell piles of singles. There's an entire format of radio dedicated to bands like Rush & it dominated most US markets for 30 years.