OtherGround Forums Brazil Rainforest Burning Is a Disaster For Planet

29 days ago
5/10/08

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/21/753140642/tens-of-thousands-of-fires-ravage-brazilian-amazon-where-deforestation-has-spike

Tens Of Thousands Of Fires Ravage Brazilian Amazon, Where Deforestation Has Spiked

Several of the fires burning in the Amazon rainforest can be seen even from space, as evidenced by this satellite image provided by NASA this month. Brazil's National Institute for Space Research said the country has seen a record number of wildfires this year.

Fires in Brazil's Amazon rainforest are proliferating at an alarming rate.

That's the gist of an announcement this week by the country's National Institute for Space Research, or INPE. According to the agency, there have been 74,155 fires in Brazil so far this year — most of which erupted in the Amazon. That represents an astonishing leap of more than 80% over last year and by far the most that the agency has recorded since it began compiling this data in 2013.

About half those fires, or nearly 36,000 of them, have ignited in just the past month. That's nearly as many as in all of 2018. Smoke from the fires has darkened the skies over major Brazilian cities, such as São Paulo.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has signaled unconcern about the situation. The far-right leader, who took office in January, has repeatedly lambasted Brazil's environmental regulations as an impediment to economic development, and under his tenure environmental agencies have seen diminished staff and funding. That includes INPE itself, whose leader, Ricardo Magnus Osório Galvão, was canned this month because — according to Galvão — he questioned how Bolsonaro was using his agency's data.

Asked about the fires by local media, Bolsonaro baselessly suggested that nongovernmental organizations have been setting the fires themselves as retaliation for the scaling back of Brazil's usual funding support for them. He posited that these groups are trying to increase international pressure on his government — but when reporters pressed him on the point, he didn't name any specific NGOs or offer any proof for his assertion.

"So, there could be ... I'm not affirming it, criminal action by these 'NGOers' to call attention against my person, against the government of Brazil. This is the war that we are facing," he said Wednesday in a Facebook Live video, according to a translation by the BBC.

29 days ago
1/1/01

Bolsonaro is just clearing space for Trump's new resort.

29 days ago
5/10/08
Floppy Divac - 

Bolsonaro is just clearing space for Trump's new resort.

They call him the "Donald Trump" of Brazil.

29 days ago
4/29/09

Jesus fucking christ with you two

29 days ago
9/27/15

This is not bad for the planet. She will be fine. This is bad for life.

29 days ago
5/10/08
GoDieInACarWreck - 

Fair point...

29 days ago
4/20/06

Ess normal. Didn't you see the Lion King. 

29 days ago
6/13/09

Some articles tend to be overly alarmist. 

This one appears to be alarmingly accurate.

I am awaiting reports from legit scientists and responsible environmentalists on how bad this is, and what it may mean.

29 days ago
8/7/19
Ainia and her girls are lighting up spliffs in the jungle and letting hot cherries drop.

Le Shat
©
29 days ago
1/1/01
blood fist -

I am awaiting reports from legit scientists and responsible environmentalists on how bad this is, and what it may mean.

I prefer to get my outrage and facts from famous peoples and influencers on Instagram

29 days ago
3/15/15
blood fist - 

Legit scientists have mentioned the irreparable damage.
29 days ago
1/14/08
Forget about policies that lead to it; How do you fight a fire of this magnitude? And it's isolation?

We can barely(??) contain fires in California which are very urban, not really hard to get to and we have a lot of resources. I can't imagine how Brazil, or others can fight this thing!

Chango
29 days ago
5/10/08
the_shrike - 
blood fist -

I prefer to get my outrage and facts from famous peoples and influencers on Instagram

This.

#letswaitandseewhatkimandkanyesay!

29 days ago
6/27/05

I blame all of the people who donated to restore Notre Dame in France.....

29 days ago
11/14/11

potus can always offer to buy cheap since he heard they are having a fire sale

29 days ago
3/20/12
ChangoBravo - Forget about policies that lead to it; How do you fight a fire of this magnitude? And it's isolation?

We can barely(??) contain fires in California which are very urban, not really hard to get to and we have a lot of resources. I can't imagine how Brazil, or others can fight this thing!

Chango

they could make it rain

weather manipulation is legit

although it involves heavy metals which are not good for us

29 days ago
12/17/06

The natives are claiming the fires were set intentionally. 

29 days ago
5/20/19

Honestly the quicker humans extinguish themselves the better. The world will heal up fine once we are all gone. It will even thrive and maybe the giant bunnies will finally evolve.

29 days ago
10/15/13
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Honestly the quicker humans extinguish themselves the better. The world will heal up fine once we are all gone. It will even thrive and maybe the giant bunnies will finally evolve.

Go ahead and start the healing bro......

Edited: 29 days ago
6/13/09
the_shrike -
blood fist -

Actually I agree with that. Lately I've been taking in more and more input from George Clooney and Alex Baldwin as my sources 4 legit info.

29 days ago
2/5/06
Altofsky - 

The natives are claiming the fires were set intentionally. 

Fires in CA are naturally occurring things right? Dry climate sets underbrush on fire with a lightning strike.

This is a rainforest, it rains every day and is always wet, I don't think there are natural fires there often....am I wrong here? I'm sure it was intentional
29 days ago
6/13/09
HotSteppa -
blood fist - 

Legit scientists have mentioned the irreparable damage.

Thanks. I'm also waiting for the details of how bad it is, or may get.

29 days ago
4/25/11
ChangoBravo - Forget about policies that lead to it; How do you fight a fire of this magnitude? And it's isolation?

Chango
Lol at “forget the policies that lead to it”
29 days ago
1/1/01

Wait...  if the areas have been deforested, how can they burn?  Hmmm.  

Mark

29 days ago
12/15/11
GoDieInACarWreck -

^