OtherGround Forums Brazil Rainforest Burning Is a Disaster For Planet

Edited: 27 days ago
5/1/16
CaptainWoody -
Altofsky - 

The natives are claiming the fires were set intentionally. 

Fires in CA are naturally occurring things right? Dry climate sets underbrush on fire with a lightning strike.

This is a rainforest, it rains every day and is always wet, I don't think there are natural fires there often....am I wrong here? I'm sure it was intentional

My wife is from Ecuador and said in the rainforest you don’t normally have accidental fires , and said it’s on purpose. She grew up in the rainforest region so I would assume she knows . 

27 days ago
7/31/09
ChucksChin -
CaptainWoody -
Altofsky - 

Fires in CA are naturally occurring things right? Dry climate sets underbrush on fire with a lightning strike.

This is a rainforest, it rains every day and is always wet, I don't think there are natural fires there often....am I wrong here? I'm sure it was intentional

My wife is from Ecuador and said in the rainforest you don’t normally have accidental fires , and said it’s on purpose. She grew up in the rainforest region so I would assume she knows . 

Yes it's on purpose from the stupid Brazillians using slash and burn farming.  

27 days ago
6/1/07
CaptainWoody - 
Altofsky - 

I wouldn't say they California wildfires are naturally occurring. First, decade of fire suppression policies led to massive amounts of underbrush and dead rotting trees that normally would have been burned off in smaller, naturally occurring fires. Second, many of them were started by poorly maintained PG&E electrical equipment creating sparks that got into said overgrown underbrush and kicked everything off. Third, over-building in forested areas is part of the reason why there is so much electrical equipment around flammable underbrush.

Regarding the Amazon fires, no, rain forest fires are not as common as regular forest fires, but I imagine they do happen. However, I suspect that as long as the land isn't plowed under and paved by some developer, or appropriated by some cattle rancher for grazing territory, then the rainforest will reclaim everything with a decade or two with no long-term damage done.
27 days ago
5/1/16
robbie380 -
ChucksChin -
CaptainWoody -
Altofsky - 

Yes it's on purpose from the stupid Brazillians using slash and burn farming.  

It’s all good , we banned straws . So it evens out 

27 days ago
6/22/09
CaptainWoody -
Altofsky - 

Most of our fires are set by PG&E and the homeless.

27 days ago
11/4/10

27 days ago
6/27/05
KZTT_MMAfan55 -

I saw all of the idiots posting the fire pic on facebook and acting like people with money can do something about it....fucking morons

27 days ago
11/28/08

Bolsonaro has said a bunch of times that he wants to replace the Amazon with more pastureland for cattle.

Not much of a leap to be suspicious.

27 days ago
5/10/08
Stu Cazzo - 
KZTT_MMAfan55 -

I saw all of the idiots posting the fire pic on facebook and acting like people with money can do something about it....fucking morons

27 days ago
1/25/04

So what are you guys going to do to ensure China and India stops warming the planet so that the Amazon can be saved and thus the planet itself?

27 days ago
9/3/12
HotSteppa -
blood fist - 

Some articles tend to be overly alarmist. 

This one appears to be alarmingly accurate.

I am awaiting reports from legit scientists and responsible environmentalists on how bad this is, and what it may mean.

Legit scientists have mentioned the irreparable damage.

Nothing burger

27 days ago
12/3/16
Stu Cazzo -

I blame all of the people who donated to restore Notre Dame in France.....

Don’t forget all the media that covered it, they’re  just as responsible.

27 days ago
6/27/05
The Finest Of The Breed -
Stu Cazzo -

I blame all of the people who donated to restore Notre Dame in France.....

Don’t forget all the media that covered it, they’re  just as responsible.

•complicit•

(pats himself on the back)

27 days ago
1/1/01
ChangoBravo - Forget about policies that lead to it; How do you fight a fire of this magnitude? And it's isolation?

We can barely(??) contain fires in California which are very urban, not really hard to get to and we have a lot of resources. I can't imagine how Brazil, or others can fight this thing!

Chango

We get fires here in the mountains many years. Many of them are simply not put-out-able. That a word??

Too steep, rugged, and cliff ridden to access. They simply let them burn, and build fire-block lines where they can.

Planes can drop retardant to slow the spread, but it will seldom end a fire on it's own.

Mostly it just burns until it is done.
27 days ago
7/31/09
HotSteppa -
blood fist - 

Some articles tend to be overly alarmist. 

This one appears to be alarmingly accurate.

I am awaiting reports from legit scientists and responsible environmentalists on how bad this is, and what it may mean.

Legit scientists have mentioned the irreparable damage.

"scientists" also said the BP gulf disaster would blow a hole in the sea floor and suck all the oxygen out of the gulf resulting in massive death of sea life and irrepairable damage.

Just make sure the Brazillians are slashing and burning everything and things will recover fine over the next 50 to 100 years.  

27 days ago
6/1/07
Jack Carter - 

So what are you guys going to do to ensure China and India stops warming the planet so that the Amazon can be saved and thus the planet itself?

Right?

If Greenies were REALLY serious about the Climate Apocalypse, they'd be pushing to spend trillions building nuclear power plants in China, India, SE Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Not only would those replace planned coal plants, but they would greatly reduce population growth. Nothing brings down birth rates like a reliable electrical grid.

Problem is, they know that American and western European voters would riot if they proposed a program of "let's tax the shit out of you and then send all the proceeds to Asia and Africa". So instead they choose to virtue signal by building useless windmill and solar farms in the west, and completely ignoring what's going on in Asia and Africa.
27 days ago
1/1/01
Steve4192 - 
CaptainWoody - 
Altofsky - 

I wouldn't say they California wildfires are naturally occurring. First, decade of fire suppression policies led to massive amounts of underbrush and dead rotting trees that normally would have been burned off in smaller, naturally occurring fires. Second, many of them were started by poorly maintained PG&E electrical equipment creating sparks that got into said overgrown underbrush and kicked everything off. Third, over-building in forested areas is part of the reason why there is so much electrical equipment around flammable underbrush.

Regarding the Amazon fires, no, rain forest fires are not as common as regular forest fires, but I imagine they do happen. However, I suspect that as long as the land isn't plowed under and paved by some developer, or appropriated by some cattle rancher for grazing territory, then the rainforest will reclaim everything with a decade or two with no long-term damage done.

They may not be naturally occurring now...but they should be, and always were prior to us.

Fire is an indispensable part of our eco-systems. Fire is natural, required, and necessary for the health of the land.

Decades of fire suppression is the exact reason they get so much worse now. Also a big reason the Forrest Service has adopted a "let it burn" policy now, as long as homes and structures are not affected.

A natural eco-system here will have occasional fires. This clears the under-story to make room for new more nutritious foods for animals. As well as creates a healthier soil composition. They generate new growth.

A natural fire in an unaltered environment will burn fast, but by doing so it will not get as hot and cause long term damage.

Suppressing fires for decades leads to too much build up of the under-story, and dead-fall. This leads to much slower, and far hotter fires that burn too deep and prevent new growth, as opposed to helping it.

California is another situation entirely. It is simply not very bright to have your home surrounded with a very fast burning flammable landscape. There needs to be a buffer zone.

All homes, or at least most, in the mountains here have a buffer zone. My home is surrounded on 3 sides by National Forrest Service land. I have an approx. 30 yard wide zone cleared around the perimeter of my land.
The whole damn mountain range could burn and I believe my home would still be there. It requires a fair bit of maintenance to keep it that way, but no how would I live here without it.
27 days ago
2/3/16

What can I actually do about it? Sucks seeing this shit going on and literally having no other action to take other than posting on social media or some shit.. just bitching about it doesn’t do much lol.. wish I could do something to help.

27 days ago
5/10/08
MasterRooster - 

What can I actually do about it? Sucks seeing this shit going on and literally having no other action to take other than posting on social media or some shit.. just bitching about it doesn’t do much lol.. wish I could do something to help.

You can donate to some non-profit conservation groups that buy land to preserve the rainforests.

I would be careful though... some are scams.

27 days ago
9/22/09

Any word on how this will affect the cost of a brazilian wax or brazilian ju jitsu training here in the US?

27 days ago
1/1/01
lionsoul - 
MasterRooster - 

You can donate to some non-profit conservation groups that buy land to preserve the rainforests.

Good idea in theory. But it would do not one iota of good at this time.

Doesn't really matter who owns it, if it is being set on fire on purpose. The results are no different regardless of ownership.
27 days ago
6/1/07
BJTT-SGT606 - 

Any word on how this will affect the cost of a brazilian wax or brazilian ju jitsu training here in the US?

All I care about is if this going to affect my ability to get my lady penis and scrotum waxed.
27 days ago
5/10/08
Dryfly - 
lionsoul - 
MasterRooster - 

Doesn't really matter who owns it, if it is being set on fire on purpose. The results are no different regardless of ownership.

If you own it, the corporate interests will be unable to own it or use it (even if they light it on fire).  

Owning it gives you the ability to stave off the use of that land for more cattle production.

27 days ago
12/6/16
lionsoul -
Dryfly - 
lionsoul - 
MasterRooster - 

If you own it, the corporate interests will be unable to own it or use it (even if they light it on fire).  

Owning it gives you the ability to stave off the use of that land for more cattle production.

This is why I don't understand the "REEEE" that followed the US pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord and the "REEEE" about China tariffs.

Most pollution and eco destruction is happening in the 3rd world. 

Instead of crying about tariffs and eco destruction, why not get on board with insisting that American's buy products made in America and subject to American regulations?

People are greedy and want cheap products, all while virtue signalling against anything that doesn't parrot politically correct talking points.  

27 days ago
6/1/07
lionsoul - 
Dryfly - 
lionsoul - 
MasterRooster - 

I have zero faith in non-profits not being scams anymore though. Even if they aren't scams, they are usually GROSSLY inefficient and only manage to pass through a dime or so of every dollar donated to the proposed cause while the other 90 cents gets hoovered up salary and administrative costs.