OtherGround Forums Buddy won’t accept job b/c last person was fired

6 days ago
2/9/09

A very good job at my company is available because the last person who held that position was fired. My friend at work has all the qualifications, all of the mangers want him in the position and its probably a 30K pay increase. I was talking to him about it and had asked if he was going to accept it and his reply was “Ill never take a job where someone was fired from it, its a bad sign”. To me, thats the most bizarre thing ive ever heard.  

6 days ago
5/10/08
The Closed Guard - 

A very good job at my company is available because the last person who held that position was fired. My friend at work has all the qualifications, all of the mangers want him in the position and its probably a 30K pay increase. I was talking to him about it and had asked if he was going to accept it and his reply was “Ill never take a job where someone was fired from it, its a bad sign”. To me, thats the most bizarre thing ive ever heard.  

Buddy has a point.

Often times where there are terminations it is a more of a reflection of issues with the managers than necessarily the person canned.

Sometimes you just have toxic managers.  Happens all the time.

He would be better served by talking to the person fired and talking to other people who work with the manager who canned the dude before making a final decision.

6 days ago
2/9/09
lionsoul -
The Closed Guard - 

Buddy has a point.

Often times where there are terminations it is a more of a reflection of issues with the managers than necessarily the person canned.

He would be better served by talking to the person fired and talking to other people who work with the manager who canned the dude before making a final decision.

Well I know for a fact the last person messed up a ton of times. 

6 days ago
11/16/08
The Closed Guard -
lionsoul -
The Closed Guard - 

Buddy has a point.

Maybe your buddy messes up tons of times too.

6 days ago
1/1/01

Yeah I wouldn't say never. But he should do triple his due dilligence in finding out. You don't know all the politics or particulars of the situation. 

There are plenty of reasons that a good employee could be fired from a shitty job.  

6 days ago
7/14/17
I No Kung Foo -
The Closed Guard -
lionsoul -
The Closed Guard - 

Buddy has a point.

Maybe his buddy doesn't mess up. 

Maybe the managers are at fault. 

Maybe the last guy actually quit, and upper management is lying and saying he was terminated. 

Maybe the managers are great and it really was the last guy screwing up all the time. 

Throwing our random "Maybe's" based on nothing doesn't ever help a conversation. 

6 days ago
11/8/09

That’s how you get your start in the trades around here. Some schmuck gets fired and you take their spot. 

6 days ago
8/29/09

It seems stupid at first.  Someone getting fired is the reason for a decent percentage of all job openings.

On the other hand, I have a customer that assigns every new project to a manager who is responsible for bring the manufacturing of new product on line.  We have been a vendor for them on 4 new projects.  We have yet to see a project manager survive a startup.  The general manager is a fuckstick.  His answer to a project being behind schedule is to yell at everyone involved to "just get it fucking done!"  That is a job opening that I would recommend a person passing on.

6 days ago
1/1/01

Dumb move but guy's with families dont like risk.

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01

We know nothing about the job offer in question. 

It could have some hard metrics that are the primary gauge of success. 

OR

It could be a position where your success is just how well you are convincing your superiors that you're "good" at your job with nearly arbitrary metrics. 

I would be more likely to take a position from category #1 than #2. 

6 days ago
11/8/09

Maybe he likes where he works, or just doesn’t want the job and is using the firing as an excuse. 

6 days ago
3/12/12

ive done that before, i was offered a job at a PE shop where the guy before me being offered was fired, he was fired bc uneducated managers set goals that didnt fit the math that was laid for them. So depsite them knowing the figures that the predecessor could and would produce he was fired anyway bc it 'wasnt good enough.' If i took that job i prob would have made much more money in the short term, but id guess that i wouldve been fired all the same. I happy i took a job that while i get paid less, offers far better security, and lower stress

6 days ago
4/24/07

I would be skeptical of taking a job where the last person was fired but I don't know I would turn down every job where that happened. You are essentially taking over someone elses problems that they either didn't want to fix for some reason or it couldn't be fixed. Either way, walking into a broken situation unless remedied quickly can easily turn into the new persons fault. 

As a person who has managed people for 14 years, it's sometimes difficult not to blame new employees for existing problems. I've done it and was wrong. But results matter not excuses. 

6 days ago
12/10/09
BrowBeaten -
I No Kung Foo -
The Closed Guard -
lionsoul -
The Closed Guard - 

Buddy has a point.

Maybe the last guy actually quit, and upper management is lying and saying he was terminated. 

Maybe the managers are great and it really was the last guy screwing up all the time. 

Throwing our random "Maybe's" based on nothing doesn't ever help a conversation. 

Nearly nobody in the corporate world gets fired these days. Too open to lawsuits, among other reasons. Just like nobody gets a bad reference. 

6 days ago
10/10/05

I had to let go a routinely under performing employee a few years ago. I gave written & verbal warnings and did my best to coach them up. There was just only so much I was able to do. This person just could not do the job & it brought down the production of my other people. While it sucked, I really had no choice but to let them go. 

I was able to hire a replacement who has been amazing. The new person was so good that I already promoted them after working for me for just over a year. The new person makes everyone else better. 

6 days ago
3/10/11
scrapdo -
BrowBeaten -
I No Kung Foo -
The Closed Guard -
lionsoul -
The Closed Guard - 

Buddy has a point.

Nearly nobody in the corporate world gets fired these days. Too open to lawsuits, among other reasons. Just like nobody gets a bad reference. 

That’s not true at all. Management just has to make sure their i’s are dotted and T’s are crossed.

6 days ago
7/14/17
scrapdo -
BrowBeaten -
I No Kung Foo -
The Closed Guard -
lionsoul -
The Closed Guard - 

Buddy has a point.

I agree.... I was just commenting on the random "maybe" argument. It's annoying. You make a point and then someone throws out a random hypothetical maybe to shoot it down for no reason 

6 days ago
1/1/01

Not all hypotheticals have equal probability. I prefer to err on the side of the most likely scenarios. 

6 days ago
8/20/15
lionsoul -
The Closed Guard - 

Buddy has a point.

Im sure he would get 0 biased responses from someone who was terminated. Are you serious lol?

6 days ago
2/16/09
people get scared or are lazy and will say an excuse to not have to differ from their norm. I have a buddy who works retail and didnt take a job with my company making 20k more because he already put in the time and worked his way to asst manager and wants to stay on the path.
6 days ago
9/10/07

there have been more than a couple opportunities i have passed on in my career because i didn't think i would be able to be successful. in some situations i watched other people move in, and fail miserably and be worse off for it.

early in your career, i think its about the short game, getting varied experience, increasing your pay, etc. once you are established it is more about the long game and making smart decisions.

6 days ago
1/18/03
Its likely that the guy knows what he is getting into and does not want to step into a position where he will either be set up to fail, or will have to put in way more effort than its worth to fix a shitpile left by the last guy.
Edited: 6 days ago
3/15/06
The same can be said for a position where the previous person quit. That's not necessarily a good sign either.

The lesson is, only take jobs that are brand new positions.
6 days ago
4/1/10

I turned down a job offer that would have paid $125k more than I make now.

It isn't always about money.

6 days ago
8/20/03
King Trav - 

That’s how you get your start in the trades around here. Some schmuck gets fired and you take their spot. 

...after you sh*t on their tools...